file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 7 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Yes,
"Deepwater Horizon" hits WAY close to home for me....Blowout prevention was my livelihood for many years... after the DH disaster they sent me to India to train their employees there on the floating rigs.
The drilling industry takes these disasters VERY, EXTREMELY seriously!!!!! Those are our brothers, friends, family that die when these rigs blow out and catch on fire.
...when the wells in Kuwait were set on fire. I was sent there to help put out the fires and spent 8 years there. And all the years since teaching others how to drill safely and not catch the rigs on fire.
I really want to see this movie. I really don't want to watch this movie. I must see this movie.
God Bless,
Wayne

Hey, Wayne

I just watched this today. It's already been reviewed, and well, so won't elaborate on the PQ, SQ, etc. It IS a powerful, gripping story that doesn't shy away from showing the human drama and suffering, the decisions made that may have affected the lives on the rig, or the inferno the drilling rig became. Can't comment on the realism of the safety procedures and events portrayed... you certainly could. Only you can decide whether to watch it.... it may take a box of tissues or two. Oh, the stories you could tell!! Kuwait oil fires included.

Moving story indeed.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 7 months ago
VERY mixed feelings about this movie!!!!!
First of all, are the families of the 11 dead getting anything from the proceeds of this movie?
Are those in the GOM that have suffered horrible loss because of the pollution getting anything from the proceeds of this movie?
Were the feelings of those families even considered when they made this movie?
Course, I knew Hollywood would profit from this disaster, and yet the story should be, needs to be told. It is NOT a simple matter.
I can't wait to see it, must wait to see it, don't want to see it, have to see it.
From what I have heard most of the blame is falling on BP, as happened during and after the disaster. Since BP is not American, but Transocean and Halliburton are, it is normal for the American public to want to blame the foreigners. And IF they only knew that BP is not a British company at all really, but Arab, initially, they would be in more of a rush to blame them. But there is PLENTY of fault to go around!!!!! Including the U.S. Minerals Management Service (MMS) who was GROSSLY NEGLIGENT in enforcing their own regs.
Sorry for the rant, I just have to stop myself.
It was a HUMAN disaster, enough said!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So last night my Darling crashed early, leaving me the home theater. I started to watch another lame movie, but decided it was music time.
I teed up Brahms' Symphony Number one which some have reverentially called Beethoven's 10th. The Staatskapelle Dresden conducted by Christian Thielemann. This First symphony was recorded beautifully in Japan. This is one of four in the "Brahms The Complete Symphonies" with Discovering Brahms a documentary addition with the conductor included.
First I watched and listened without any information. The PQ and SQ are 10 outta 5!!! But at first I did not think this symphony was gonna be that great, but by the Second movement I was hooked. And it just kept getting better.
Then I read about it on Wikipedia, that was helpful. Then I listened to the German conductor (with subtitles) explaining about Brahms and all four of his symphonies and it REALLY helped me understand and appreciate what I was hearing.
According to the guys on Amazon this was the complete Brahms to get, and with Thielemann conducting and explaining why he did it the way he did, it is amazing stuff.
After Beethoven's life's work, his amazing 9 symphonies (let alone the other great music he composed) what was the next guy (Brahms) supposed to do? Something completely different???? Nobody was gonna accept that. Copy him?????? Nobody was gonna accept that. So he struggled with writing and revising his first symphony for 15 years!!!!! Finally he decided it was good enough and even then it included a LOT of homage to Beethoven. So some people commented on the similarities and his response was "any ass can see that!!!" To put it in context though, he wrote his Second symphony in one year!
Theilemann comments on and talks about the "German sound" for which Brahms was best known along with Beethoven and the other contemporaries. This BIG, WARM, ROUND BASS grounded, lush FULL strings sound. Well, I LOVE that and this recording is all about that in spades. And here is where my new Triton Ones shine, WOW!!!!!!
Full on, game on!!!!!! Yes, the rest of the Tritons in the theater including the SC-X help a lot, but the Ones do a LOT of the heavy lifting. I know that because the sound is just that much richer, fuller, more powerful than when the T 2s were doing that job.
(Theilemann describes some of this music like a train building up a head of steam and plowing through everything, and indeed, you can really hear/experience that!!!)
I am blown away by the sound I am getting, loving it!!!! And this music is accessible, even though it is nowhere near as well known to me as Beethoven's Fifth or even some of his others.
I will probably revisit this with the other symphonies if anyone is interested. But I highly recommend this 2 disc set. The Janson's Beethoven first, then this one second.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Thanks for the Brahms review, Wayne! I just ordered the same Blu-ray. Yeah, keep on reviewing. It'll be couple weeks before I get my copy.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Bro Rick, your encouragement keeps me going!!!!
I enjoyed the Second Symphony this aft, wonderful stuff!!!! And the ending has the train fully cranked up and rolling, left me with a big smile!!!!!
I can't wait to hear what you think of it.
Then tonight we watched "Pete's Dragon" from Disney. Though it is not a cartoon.
The PQ is pretty great, good CGI for the dragon. The SQ by way of DTS 7.1 was quite good too, though I did not catch anything reference or particularly demo worthy.
Good family entertainment.
RECOMMENDED!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I know someone else already reviewed this, but we were pretty blown away for family night tonight watching "BFG".
Ingenious and highly entertaining, SO VERY well done!!!!!!
PQ was good and SQ being Dolby True HD 7.1 was really good. The surround added to the show.
RECOMMENDED!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?