file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Yes,
"Deepwater Horizon" hits WAY close to home for me, and I have yet to be able to find it, buy it, or see it.
Blowout prevention was my livelihood for many years, my expertise most of my 40 years working in the drilling industry. My retirement is from Transocean and (before that) after the DH disaster they sent me to India to train their employees there on the floating rigs, I went once a month for 4 years and held a week long certifying class.
The drilling industry takes these disasters VERY, EXTREMELY seriously!!!!! Those are our brothers, friends, family that die when these rigs blow out and catch on fire.
I was doing that same certification training over here in Malaysia when the wells in Kuwait were set on fire. I was sent there to help put out the fires and spent 8 years there. And all the years since teaching others how to drill safely and not catch the rigs on fire.
Sorry, I am not writing this well. I am just reacting seeing Imahawki's review above. I really want to see this movie. I really don't want to watch this movie. I must see this movie.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 7 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Yes,
"Deepwater Horizon" hits WAY close to home for me, and I have yet to be able to find it, buy it, or see it.
Blowout prevention was my livelihood for many years, my expertise most of my 40 years working in the drilling industry. My retirement is from Transocean and (before that) after the DH disaster they sent me to India to train their employees there on the floating rigs, I went once a month for 4 years and held a week long certifying class.
The drilling industry takes these disasters VERY, EXTREMELY seriously!!!!! Those are our brothers, friends, family that die when these rigs blow out and catch on fire.
I was doing that same certification training over here in Malaysia when the wells in Kuwait were set on fire. I was sent there to help put out the fires and spent 8 years there. And all the years since teaching others how to drill safely and not catch the rigs on fire.
Sorry, I am not writing this well. I am just reacting seeing Imahawki's review above. I really want to see this movie. I really don't want to watch this movie. I must see this movie.
God Bless,
Wayne

Hey, Wayne

When/if you find this movie and can bring yourself to watch it, I'll be REALLY interested in your reactions and critique!

Thanks for sharing!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
File Attachment:

Nerve is a near-future sci-fi film starring Emma Roberts (niece of Julia Roberts as a bit of trivia) and Dave Franco. With the ubiquity of smartphone live streams and security cameras people either pay to see players act out anything from embarrassing dares like kissing a complete stranger to dangerous stunts... or you can get paid to be the player. Once you start playing, you're in a race to win the game and the dares get increasingly more risky while the payoff grows.

Nerve attempts to capture a potential tipping point in online culture. We live in a world of online bullying and trolling. The rules of decency seem to be falling down around us. Some feel entitled to say whatever it is they are thinking and even play with people's lives . People completely disconnect the online world from the real world in their minds. We're happy to give away everything for a free app or access to a website. The central themes of Nerve are, given enough anonymity and disconnection from the subject, people are god damned awful, and we're very quick to jump at a chance at internet fame and popularity which in the movie at least translates to $$$. In the real world its often just 15 seconds of fame.

Franco and Roberts are well cast. Franco's inherent "bro-ness" that repels some works well for this character. He's an experienced player and his cocky confidence is an asset. Roberts character, Vee, is introverted and introspective. Her mother is overbearing due to the recent death of Vee's brother. After watching her best friend become the center of attention by moving up quickly in the Nerve ranks due namely to a complete lack of inhibition coupled by being snubbed by her crush, Vee decides to join the game. She wants to force herself out of her comfort zone. Of course Roberts and Franco are immediately paired up in the game and we're off.

Naturally all hell breaks loose and what follows is a visually fun, wild ride. The film does a great job of splicing the third person movie footage with footage of the players actions being live streamed by the spectators. As the dares escalate we see the sadistic mob mentality that sadly is a reality of our current world, not just some dystopian future.

The finale is the weakest part of the film, falling back on a heavy dose of hacking ex machina. But honestly, I can't fault it too much. They wanted to finish making a point and I believe they mostly succeeded. Perhaps the ending would have had more impact had it not wrapped up so cleanly. But sadly, I'm guessing given the action, pacing, and target audience of this film the point will mostly be lost. Maybe if it had been done more seriously it would generate more discussion. Or maybe not. I'm left not quite certain whether to be entertained or terrified. As the father of three girls, this kind of online behavior, which can and does have real world consequences troubles me. Even more, the current internet culture is significantly contributing to the exploding hyper-sexuality of young girls. This is briefly touched on by one of the dares early in the film but isn't the central theme and isn't fully explored. Perhaps that would make a great film but I'd probably have to classify it in the horror genre.

Ultimately the good outweighed the bad for me and I could see myself re-watching Nerve down the road. 7.5/10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Imahawki for your reviews.
I only scan them as I do not want to know what a movie is about, etc. That is a spoiler for me. You likely think my reviews do not have enough information about the plot, etc. but that is precisely my intent.
Last night I watched another stinker, "Green Room". It was a thriller of a sort, will they get outta this mess sorta deal. Problem is, the characters were not even remotely likable, sympathetic or interesting, so who cares????
PQ and SQ were not worth mentioning.
Horrible waste movie, I will use the blu ray box for another movie and trash this one.
It was not offensive, just not worth my time. YMMV.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 7 years 7 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Thanks Imahawki for your reviews.
I only scan them as I do not want to know what a movie is about, etc. That is a spoiler for me. You likely think my reviews do not have enough information about the plot, etc. but that is precisely my intent.
Last night I watched another stinker, "Green Room". It was a thriller of a sort, will they get outta this mess sorta deal. Problem is, the characters were not even remotely likable, sympathetic or interesting, so who cares????
PQ and SQ were not worth mentioning.
Horrible waste movie, I will use the blu ray box for another movie and trash this one.
It was not offensive, just not worth my time. YMMV.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne

Hopefully I didn't spoil anything for you. My rule is, if its in the trailer its fair game for a review, which appears to be a rule for many reviewers whose work I read. I always avoid any major plot twists or explicit discussion of how the movie ended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: forgot info_outline
Tonight I watched "The 33".
IF you don't know the story, then you don't watch the news.
It is only DTS 5.1 but quite decent sound, especially in the big event scene.
PQ was grainy, but OK.
Enjoyable entertainment, feel good story, drillers save everything again, just like "Armageddon".
It was actually very well done, RECOMMENDED! Though nothing reference here.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?