file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 7 years 7 months ago
BFG might be next on my list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Forgot to mention, though most won't care.
We bought and tried to watch the BFG in 3D. It would play but not well, start and stop, sound track interruptions. Finally the wife said (after two attempts at cleaning the disc) try in 2D. Well, that did it!!!!
The 3D is fake (post production) anyway, but fake is becoming quite good these days, especially on CGI pics. So what we did see in 3D looked good.
I suspect my Oppo would need an update to be able to play this, but that time is long over for the very long in the tooth BDP 95.
Anyway, this movie is a clear winner. Spielberg, hummmmm, wonder if he knows what he is doing by now??????
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
File Attachment:

Watched this one last night with my 10 year old. I really enjoyed it. The story, both in tone and pacing, may be a bit dated for today's children but I'm glad someone is still making movies that don't feel like 2 hour Happy Meal advertisements. The movie does get a little slow in the middle but its carried through by stunningly beautiful visuals and CGI that works in the film's context. Highly recommended if you're looking for something to watch with the kids/grandkids. It might be a touch too intense for the under 6 crowd, depending on what else they've been exposed to. 7/10
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
File Attachment:

I've grown cautious and weary of Tim Burton films so while I was intrigued by the trailers for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (MP's... I won't be typing that repeatedly) I waited for the Blu-Ray release. Then I tried, unsuccessfully, to get my middle daughter to watch with me, causing further delay. Finally I gave up and gave it a spin. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The was unique by Hollywood standards. Yes, I know it was adapted from a book, but it wasn't a sequel, prequel, comic book movie or a simply derivative story. Maybe I'll even read the book now. The titular character is played by the gorgeous Eva Green and she is perfect in the role. The protagonist, Jake, I played by Asa Butterfield. I loved Hugo and I'm excited to see where this young actor's career goes. The cast is rounded out by relative newcomer Ella Purnell, Samuel L. Jackson, and smaller roles filled by Allison Janney, Judy Dench, and Rupert Everett.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS - but doesn't contain anything not in the trailers.
The story starts with a classic setup; grandfather telling stories to grandson, Jake. Fantastic stories, but they can't possibly be true, can they? After Jake's grandfather dies under circumstances unbelievably ignored by the adults in Jake's life (one of the few problems with the film, in my opinion) Jake and his father set off on a trip. Jake's purpose is to find the "Home" while dad obliges, figuring he can force some closure for Jake. When Jake finds the home actually exists we are introduced to a fantastic host of characters from the Ransom Riggs novel, brought to life by Tim Burton. I've not read the book but in classic Burton form, I have to imagine more time was spent on creating the visual world of this film than on polishing the screenplay and directing. The movie is not without flaws but it is absolutely one of Burton's better recent efforts. He clearly draws heavily from past stylistic efforts like Beetlejuice and The Nightmare Before Christmas but manages to work the creatures and design elements into a contemporary world.

I often talk about movies just hitting the spot for me. Meaning I know I personally enjoyed a film more than probably the average person will. MP's hit the spot for me and I think I've even convinced my daughter to watch it with me, meaning I'm up for a second viewing. 7.5/10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Imahawki for the spoiler alert, I skipped that part.
I have this movie, coming soon. So I will go back and read your full report after watching the movie.
Glad you like the BFG.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tonight I picked up something that did not look like it should wait until family movie night again this weekend. "Morgan" it was, and it had 7.1 surround sound. At least that is what the legend said, though I never noticed any real use of surround at all. Perhaps on a gunshot.
It stars Kate Mara, and the girl who played Ygritte in "Game of Thrones", you know nothing Jon Snow--that girl.
The PQ was just OK as well and the movie was not nearly as good as the popcorn.
Not recommended, but if you have nothing better to do waiting on the SB you might give it a spin like I did.
And Kate Mara is in it.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?