file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
What would it be like to get stuck on Mars with only Disco music to listen to? What would it be like to get stuck on Mars with only Pink Floyd...I'll take Disco. You guessed it, I watched The Martian this afternoon. In a nutshell, Mark Watney (Matt Damon) is left for dead by his fellow astronauts. With only a minimal amount of supplies, he uses his wits and spirit to find a way to survive. Back on earth, NASA and a team of international scientists work to bring him home.

PQ was very good as was the SQ (DTS Master 7.1) There were a few areas where dialog was somewhat hard to understand, but overall the majority of the movie was highly intelligible. Surround activity was put to good use with sounds of the inside of the Space pod. A couple nice explosions here and there and you come up with a pretty good movie...Recommended
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, Anthem!

Having run out of disco music to listen to, I just ordered "Martian". :P

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Well, Anthem beat me to it and did a good job with his description. I'll try not to repeat too much of that and add a few bits.

First and foremost, this was a great movie. PQ and SQ were both very well done. Casting, acting, script, cinematography, and production were all top notch. This was very entertaining and I would have no problem watching it again with company. Movies based on books seem to struggle with pace but this one was spot on. It didn't feel rushed or drawn out.

Is this movie reference quality? The answer is: it depends. SQ is solid but it's not a non-stop thrill ride of big sound you normally want for a demo. Picture quality is sharp and there are no flaws but the limited color schemes on stark surface of Mars don't always provide for the most vivid picture with pop and awe. There is one area this movie really stands out: 3D picture.

This movie was hands down the best 3D feature I have ever seen, bar none! From the first scene to the last, the depth of field was great. I think we have all had disappointing 3D experiences and that's probably why this technology has never really taken flight. Wayne directed me to the website Real or Fake 3D and I've been checking many titles as I watch them. To be honest, I haven't always been able to tell the difference. From the first scene of The Martian, I knew this was real 3D and the website confirmed it as I paused the movie to verify. I was that impressed.

So, great movie all around. I definitely recommend it. If you enjoy 3D and have made efforts to ensure your system is a capable performer as I have, this film is a must see! If there were more movies like this in 3D, there would be much more demand in the market.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Thanks Guys,
I was interested before but now I really want to see the 3D version!!!!
3D is awesome in my theater!!!
I can't wait for this one.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Watched"The Final Girls"
A weird, scare movie, give it points for originality, but that is all.
BAD acting.
PQ is fine, SQ is good for what it was, but even in DTS MA5.1 it was not special.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Wayne,

I know what they say about not judging a book by its cover but you should have known better on this one! :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?