file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Okay, sometimes I'm a little late getting to the party. I've had Amazon Prime for several months now and I had not gotten around to watching Mozart in the Jungle until last night. What a great show! If you're a Prime member, it's free to watch and I highly recommend it. Word of warning, this is for adults only.

I guess I would call it a feel good drama centered around the lives of several New York symphony members. The cast is pretty good and the writing is solid. My only complaint is the SQ and PQ of streaming programming leaves a lot to be desired. The picture quality fluctuated with download speeds and I had to turn the volume up quite a bit. Overall, great show. I can see why it is receiving media buzz and award nominations.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last night it was "Pawn Sacrifice". The story of the totally screwed up Bobby Fischer. Behind the scenes of remembered history. Wish it was PRAWN sacrifice and had BBQs.
This was terrible. PQ was probably intentionally old looking, SQ was DTS MA5.1 and a non issue.
A SAD story, NOT RECOMMENDED!

The new re-make of "Vacation" took a classic comedy, filled it with totally nasty language, stupid script and so bad I felt embarrassed for the actors being in such a terrible movie. PQ and SQ by way of DTS MA 5.1 were totally a non-issue.
HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!
The THOR guy was gross and funny in it. There were some funny things, but not worth the time.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 8 months ago
I'm looking forward to Pawn Sacrifice. Bobby Fischer was deeply troubled and mentally ill. The guy was a Jewish anti-semite to give you an idea. He suffered from paranoia at a minimum. If the movie is simply a bleak but realistic look into his life, I'll probably like it. Sometimes its tough to separate enjoyable films from good films (I'm not implying you are incapable of doing so, I'm speaking in generalities and including myself in that statement).

I watched Pan this weekend. I can't really recommend it. A/V was great. It was another moving with a dynamic, well integrated soundtrack. But the movie... I can see why critics panned it (ba dump cha!) The story was coherent but just odd knowing the history of the story. Unnecessarily revisionist. And some elements were just plain out of place like the pop music in the soundtrack. It served no purpose. It wasn't fully integrated like in Moulin Rouge. There are just a couple random 90s songs that the entire cast breaks into. Odd. And there isn't even a hint as to how Hook goes from who he is in this movie to who he ends up as in the original story. Its like they coopted the name for a completely different character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Whoa,
I have been busy, so I am behind here.
First, RIP Glenn Frey!!!!
So I played the Farewell Tour in Melbourne and it was sad. We all know how good that Blu-ray is, BUT
I hate to say, I played it a little louder than usual and I did notice the top end is bright and shows digital glare!!!
Yes, Bro Anthem, some sibilance there. Never noticed that before. Disappointing.
Then we watched "Aloha".
This is a confusing movie for almost the whole movie. Odd, weird, some Hawaiian mystical stuff at first, perhaps at least 1/3 of the
movie, and for me, it was a little interesting, I would not have minded if they had followed that more and finished the story.
Finally other parts of the movie start to make sense. In the end, a SOMEWHAT satisfying ending is achieved. SORTA.
PQ is pretty good, SQ is too. DTS-hd ma5.1 but the surround info is not used all that well.
The girls in here are beautiful, Rachael McAdams, Emma Stone, Danielle Russell. And Bill Murray is in here.
RECOMMENDED (barely) just because of them.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I just finished watching "History of the Eagles" on Netflix. It's in 5.1 surround, and in two parts. Part one covers the origins of the
band up through their break-up, and Part two covers their reunion 14 years later up until about 2012/13, with some of the final snippets showing scenes and songs from their Farewell Tour in Melbourne.

Lots of music included, and what appears to be a pretty straightforward coverage of their personal struggles, how Glenn Frey and Don Henley worked together in the creative process of writing many of their songs, what it's like to be on the road, creative tensions, members leaving and being replaced, etc. etc.

I noticed it's on Amazon also, and is right now a top seller, probably related to Glenn's recent death.

For me it was a great summary of what the band did and was all about, and all the music was a bonus. SQ pretty good.

Recommended.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Did someone report on the "Terminator Genisys" and not mention that Sarah is played by Emelia Clarke this time?????
I guess mine was in Atmos this time, not sure since I don't atmos, but the sound was pretty rockin!!!! LOTS of bass in places, pretty reference.
It was a fake 3D, my wife bought the 3D by mistake and I tried to watch it, but it was useless. Finished it in 2D.
Was shocked to see the Guvernator back in this one.
Pretty fun movie, great effects, PQ was great in 2D and the Sound was awesome.
RECOMMENDED. Miss Clarke is awesome!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?