file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

anthem wrote: This morning I had a chance to see Into the Storm.

In the span of a single day, the town of Silverton is ravaged by an unprecedented onslaught of tornadoes. The entire town is at the mercy of the erratic and deadly cyclones, even as storm trackers predict the worst is yet to come. Most people seek shelter, while others run towards the vortex, testing how far a storm chaser will go for that once-in-a-lifetime shot. Told through the eyes and lenses of professional storm chasers, thrill-seeking amateurs, and courageous townspeople, "Into the Storm" throws you directly into the eye of the storm to experience Mother Nature at her most extreme.

I'll be honest, dialogue through the SCXXL just didn't cut it. I don't know if was the film or what, but there was alot of sibilance in both the male and female voice...rather upsetting. The PQ was so so, nothing to write home about. The sound of the tornadoes themselves were pretty good, but when the volume is cranked where it needs to be to experience what the people on the screen are experiencing, voices get overly edgy with way to much sibilance.

Has anyone else seen this film. It would be interesting to see if I'm the only one who feels this way.
Because of the bad center channel dialogue and how it was presented, Thumbs Down.

Hi, Anthem

I haven't seen the film and can't speak to it's SQ. What I can say is that bad SQ plays through, and maybe the better the speaker, the more the bad SQ gets voiced. I have heard some pretty bad stuff on the T1's. T2's. SCXXL... usually from streamed MP3 stuff, where all sorts of strange sounds can come through, like squeaks, harsh sounds, awful sounding voices.

I guess I can't help you on this one. But I have heard some pretty awful SQ on what I know are great speakers that are just passing through some pretty awful sound editing/processing.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Anthem,

I watched part of the movie on DirecTV but had to turn it off due to the production quality. It was so poorly done, IMO, that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the sound editing was also horrible. There are certainly some good movies out there for critical listening. John Wick, Terminator Genisys, Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, Mad Max Fury Road, San Andreas, and Jurrasic World are some of the recent movies I've watched that were pretty good.

When I really want to evaluate dialogue, I like to use Skyfall. There is a wide variety of voices, particularly female voices, in some tricky environments. This is the movie I use to set my center channel crossover frequency. The other movie I like to use is Star Trek Darkness Falls. The opening scene offers some challenging material for center channels.

My recommendation, don't be too hard on the XXL if it sounds bad with bad material. As Rick was saying, garbage in equals garage out. Some music is downright painful to listen to, even on my T1s and that is no reflection on them. If you have the ability to play around with positioning, you may see some gains with experimenting there. The SCXL likes to breath a little and sounds best to me with the front of the speaker 24" in from the front wall. I also suspended the speaker and angled it directly to ear level with some Vibrapods and cones. I really felt that made a significant difference. Can't say for sure if it was getting the proper angle or the isolation but it helped a great deal and did not cost much to implement. The final adjustment I made was calibrating the center channel 1-2 dB above the other channels. This really helped the dialogue pop.

Sorry for rambling... I've spent a great deal of time getting my SCXL tuned in. I am very picky about dialogue as well. I feel I have it pretty well dialed in. During a recent work party at my home, another audio enthusiast commented on how good the vocals sounded in my theater setup. It's good to get that kind of feedback from someone that cares about sound quality. I'm confident you'll get that new beauty dialed in and singing sweetly!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Was it blu-ray???
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Back on Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation this AM for a sound check. I really can't say enough about the sound on this film! This is certainly my new reference disc. The picture is a bit grainy, with a real film quality to it. I admit that this series and Mr. Cruise are not to everyones' liking, but this is definitely a reference film for sound. There is plenty of challenging material here for center channels. This will be my first film when I finally implement Atmos into my setup. Sorry, I'm done gushing.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Was it blu-ray???

Wayne: Yes Blu-ray...

I've been watching Terminator Genisys again...BITE ME!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I'm playing Bruce Springsteen's DVD "Live in Barcelona".. haven't played this in awhile.

brucespringsteen.net/albums/live-in-barcelona

It was recorded in 2002, and unfortunately, there isn't a Blu-ray version, so the SQ and PQ isn't quite up to a perfect Blu-ray level, but it does a great job capturing a Bruce Springsteen concert experience. Our NY son, who is a big Bruce Springsteen, E Street Band fan, probably has every CD, DVD they ever made, and has been to many of their concerts, thinks this is about the best capture of what it's like to BE at one of their concerts. The energy of the audience, the band and of course Bruce, just keeps coming at you, and the music is great.The rapport between Bruce, the band and the huge crowd is obvious. I've got Blu-ray Bruce Springsteen's also (London Calling, Live in NY), but this DVD, Live in Barcelona, is by far my favorite.

Playing it at 80 db, and loving it.

Highly recommended.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?