file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
Nothing really changed. If anything I settled on a little hot LFE. I just listened to the DD soundtrack since I streamed it through my Apple TV. Its not that there was no bass but it was sparing (i.e. I think there were opportunities where there could have been more given what was going on on screen) and often a little dry IMO (meaning there were some very low LFE on explosions but not in the fat 40-80hz range that often sounds bassier). Maybe the HD audio track is bassier but I find that to not be the case unless they're actually different mixes which is rare these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Imahawki,

So, it was a digital download since you stated you streamed it through your Apple TV? I watched on Blu-Ray disk and always find the picture and sound better that way. Getting a copy at you local Redbox and trying the actual Blu-Ray version may be an interesting experiment if you haven't made any conclusions already. I am always underwhelmed by streaming video via Netflix, Amazon, and DirecTV. My assumption and experience is that the quality is not nearly as good via streaming.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Imahawki,

Okay, you "made me" watch Genisys again this morning. :laugh: I'm not sure what frequencies the LFE is kicking out but it is certainly kickin'!! Even at low volumes, it's deep and rich. Once my wife woke up, I turned the volume up and it was pretty impressive. This is a good sound track on disk. I'd still recommend trying it on Blu-Ray to see if your results are different. I suspect they will be or our preferences are very different and you like A LOT of bass!!!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
OK, this is going to date me...

I was finishing up watching Wayne's recommendation of Dr Zhivago tonight, and my wife came in and said that "The sound of Music" was playing on a tv station. We had watched this movie, together, back in the the 60's in a theatre, while still dating. Well, I paused Dr Zhivago, and turned on The sound of Music. Julie Andrews has for years captivated me, her voice is (was) just so beautiful and delicate.

I had not heard this movie on my GEt system before... everything just got better. I just ordered the Blu-ray version also, from,...Amazon.

If you'd like a bit of nostalgia, and a revisit to some great music, highly recommended. The Blu-ray version gets great reviews for PQ and SQ.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 8 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Imahawki,

Okay, you "made me" watch Genisys again this morning. :laugh: I'm not sure what frequencies the LFE is kicking out but it is certainly kickin'!! Even at low volumes, it's deep and rich. Once my wife woke up, I turned the volume up and it was pretty impressive. This is a good sound track on disk. I'd still recommend trying it on Blu-Ray to see if your results are different. I suspect they will be or our preferences are very different and you like A LOT of bass!!!

Cheers,

T Cobe

Do you remember any specific scenes? I'd happily run it again and see if we're hearing the same thing but maybe I just expected more???

Separate note, I watched About Time last night with my wife. It was good. I like time travel movies quite a lot whether they're sci-fi like the Terminator or BttF movies or the handful of time travel Rom-Coms out there like The Time Traveler's Wife or this movie, which falls into the latter category.

About Time is a quirky romantic comedy about life. Without spoiling the plot is revealed early in the film. The main character is pulled into the den by his father New Years day of his 21st year. His father tells him all the men in their lineage can travel through time. But only through their own lives, they cannot go back to ancient Egypt or kill Hitler as his father mentions. This power is introduced slowly to some lightheartedness but then the obvious happens. The main character has to decide... go back and change something or not. I won't give away more than that, but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Picture quality was really good. The subject matter didn't lend to anything spectacular. Sound wise there are no crazy effects but there is quite a bit of music in the film and it is presented nicely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Imahawki,

Take your pick on the scenes for LFE. There were a few points where I felt there could be a bit more bass, possibly in a few of the explosions; however, all of the action scenes were pretty rich in LFE. I'd still suggest trying it on disk and see if you experience more LFE. One scene that stood out was the school bus flipping and crashing on the bridge. I can look and see what chapters provided the best LFE.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?