file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 8 years 8 months ago
I think we're on the same page. The bus scene definitely had a lot of bass. I may have over stated my comment but there were a handful of explosions or crashes (windows and walls getting blown through etc.) that were loud but didn't have deep bass elements. There were plenty that did though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
This morning I went down to the video store to rent Terminator / Genisys. They were selling the Blu-rays for $12.99 so picked up a copy for the library. This is a wickedly wonderful movie. SQ and Picture are thru the roof. What's been said by T Cobe and others pretty well sums up my feelings about Genisys. Low level detail is to die for as is Center Channel information...the SCXXL, now with 17 hrs. on it, did very well with voices. A very Highly recommended movie...final words...BITE ME!!...RIGHT POPS?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Anthem,

Glad you enjoyed the flick. My favorite line that I could most readily identify with was actually "old, not obsolete". It was definitely one of the better films in the series and a worthy demo disk. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation is even better in terms of PQ and SQ.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

anthem wrote: Watched John Wick this morning:

Legendary assassin John Wick (Keanu Reeves) retired from his violent career after marrying the love of his life. Her sudden death leaves John in deep mourning. When sadistic mobster losef Tarasov (Alfie Allen) and his thugs steal John's prize car and kill the puppy that was a last gift from his wife, John leashes the remorseful killing machine within and seeks revenge. Meanwhile, losef's father (Michael Nyqvist) -- John's former colleague -- puts a huge bounty on John's head.

Good picture -- 5.1 sound -- enough action to keep your mind from wondering. A couple of shootout scenes were really good, especially a scene in a nightclub -- music pulsating, bullets flying. Good movie...reminiscent of the Equalizer. John Wick Official Trailer #1 (2014) - Keanu Reeves, Willem Dafoe Movie HD:

Rewatched John Wick this morning. I must admit, with the SCXXL in place, vocals came through much clearer even at near reference sound levels...this could be the center channel I stick with.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

anthem wrote:

anthem wrote: Watched John Wick this morning:

Legendary assassin John Wick (Keanu Reeves) retired from his violent career after marrying the love of his life. Her sudden death leaves John in deep mourning. When sadistic mobster losef Tarasov (Alfie Allen) and his thugs steal John's prize car and kill the puppy that was a last gift from his wife, John leashes the remorseful killing machine within and seeks revenge. Meanwhile, losef's father (Michael Nyqvist) -- John's former colleague -- puts a huge bounty on John's head.

Good picture -- 5.1 sound -- enough action to keep your mind from wondering. A couple of shootout scenes were really good, especially a scene in a nightclub -- music pulsating, bullets flying. Good movie...reminiscent of the Equalizer. John Wick Official Trailer #1 (2014) - Keanu Reeves, Willem Dafoe Movie HD

Rewatched John Wick this morning. I must admit, with the SCXXL in place, vocals came through much clearer even at near reference sound levels...this could be the center channel I stick with.

Hi, Anthem

I enjoyed John Wick also. Wow! You really think you have found the center channel in the SCXXL you can stick with??!!. Given how many you have tried, that's high praise!

I agree totally on the vocals with the SCXXL. They just come through so clearly. AND, the musicality, right down into deep bass (mine is set at 60 HZ crossover), is really special.

Enjoy!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by anthem. info_outline
This morning I had a chance to see Into the Storm.

In the span of a single day, the town of Silverton is ravaged by an unprecedented onslaught of tornadoes. The entire town is at the mercy of the erratic and deadly cyclones, even as storm trackers predict the worst is yet to come. Most people seek shelter, while others run towards the vortex, testing how far a storm chaser will go for that once-in-a-lifetime shot. Told through the eyes and lenses of professional storm chasers, thrill-seeking amateurs, and courageous townspeople, "Into the Storm" throws you directly into the eye of the storm to experience Mother Nature at her most extreme.

I'll be honest, dialogue through the SCXXL just didn't cut it. I don't know if was the film or what, but there was alot of sibilance in both the male and female voice...rather upsetting. The PQ was so so, nothing to write home about. The sound of the tornadoes themselves were pretty good, but when the volume is cranked where it needs to be to experience what the people on the screen are experiencing, voices get overly edgy with way to much sibilance.

Has anyone else seen this film. It would be interesting to see if I'm the only one who feels this way.
Because of the bad center channel dialogue and how it was presented, Thumbs Down.

The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?