file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Thanks Stan 2011,
That is great feedback and I am REALLY happy to have your confirmation of our efforts here!!!!
It is great to know we are sharing some wonderful music with others.
Enjoy, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Boys and Girls,
in the same vein as those awesome music BRs that we have been discussing, the Eagles and Roy Orbison, indeed on the Black and White nights BR you will see a quite young and svelte K. D. Lang singing backup.
IF you want to stay in the "unbelievable sound and performance" area, here are two more, but quite different BRs.
K. D. Lang "Live in London" will thrill you. Listen to her version of "Hallelujah" folks, this woman is a master singer. Yes, she has put on a little weight, haven't we all? But this is PURE VOICE.
OR
IF you are in the mood for rock try the earnest emotion of the Counting Crows, "August and Everything After, Live at Town Hall".
PURE ROCK EMOTION.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Let’s be honest, the Marvel movie franchise has been hit and miss over the years. At one end of the spectrum you have Chris Pratt as StarLord in Guardians of the Galaxy, Robert Downey, Jr. as Ironman, and Tobey McGuire as Spiderman; at the other end, you have Eric Bana as the Hulk and Ben Affleck as The Daredevil. Sorry if you disagree, but that’s my top and bottom. When I saw the previews for Ant-Man starring Paul Rudd, I was skeptical to say the least. I like Paul Rudd but envisioning him as a super hero is a bit like picturing Michael Keaton as Batman… Speaking of Batman, let’s hope DC has better luck with Affleck in this role than Marvel did with him as Daredevil! Anyways, back to Ant-Man.
Ruud was great in this well written and well-cast film. He portrayed the unlikely hero with panache and charisma. The rest of the cast performed their supporting roles very well. Despite a few hole plots, such as being able to telepathically control ants, the movie was very entertaining. They were able to introduce new characters and weave in the Marvel universe; setting up for several possible follow up movies to this budding franchise. From an entertainment perspective, I’d put this at the higher end of the Marvel films. Maybe just a wrung or two below Guardians of the Galaxy (for me). I’m going to give this a 4.5/5 from and entertainment standpoint.
PQ was solid. There were a lot of special effects in this one and as one would imagine: a lot of CGI. Everything was well done, supported the story, and did not draw attention to itself. On the flip side, there was nothing that really stood out either. I’d say 4/5 for picture.
SQ was much the same as PQ. Nothing that stood out either way. There were some great opportunities for major LFE and this film seemed to come up a bit short. Like The Avengers: Age of Ultron, this movie seemed a bit on the quiet end. It’s not difficult to turn up the volume, but the sound seemed a bit compressed and lacked dynamics where they should be. I’m going with 3.5/5 for SQ.
In the end, Paul Rudd and Marvel have a hit on their hands! I’d definitely recommend this one and can say with confidence that you will like it better than Eric Bana’s Hulk and Ben Affleck’s Daredevil. Whether or not you find it on par with Guardians of the Galaxy or Ironman will depend on your preferences. This is a good story full of human emotion that doesn’t take itself too seriously. Perfect for two hours of simple entertainment!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you for that good and detailed report T. Cobe.
Last night I watched the second in the series Maze Runner called "Scorch Trials".
Seems lots of young people like this series, I am OK with it, nothing great, but decent entertainment to me.
This BR has really good visuals, the PQ is very good.
SQ by way of DTS-HD MA 7.1 is just what I like. BUT it was not particularly remarkable. There were a couple of times when I could hear the surrounds were being used to good effect, less so for the rear surrounds. They have a big old helicopter that sounds pretty cool when it flies in, but other than that and some gun fire, pretty routine stuff.
The biggest disappointment was when they played the Zombie card. OK, zombies are a big deal now, I really enjoy Walking Dead.
But couldn't they come up with something a little more original for this series?????
It has a decent story line, but the acting is not great. Still I will come back for the next one, and who knows? Maybe even the next one.
Recommended.
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Boys and Girls,
I don't much care for Tom Cruise, especially as a person, sometimes he does well in a movie, sometimes not so much.
But a friend brought over "Mission Impossible 5, Rogue Nation", I guess I have seen most of the MI flicks but do not care for the franchise, I never buy them. The plots are usually too convoluted and cute and just don't make much sense without a map.
This one had a little bit of that, but not much, this was a good plot.
I will pronounce this the best MI ever and one of the best movies I have seen this year.
PQ is get out of town great, SQ, by way of DTS-HD MA 7.1 is just what I like.
This movie does not have talking trees or super heroes, no trucks that turn into robots, OK, yes, lots of CGI and tricky shots, but MERCY
this just struck the right cord EVERYWHERE.
We did something I don't usually do, but we turned this puppy up to almost theater level, and WOW!!!!! All seven speakers getting after it, the subs in the Tritons giving it, yes, there was some good surround effects, but what really hit me was the soundtrack was AWESOME!!!!!!!
There is a scene in an opera, with great opera and orchestra sound, a tenor sings Nessun Dorma while Tom fights the bad guys, lovely sound.
Then I noticed that strains of Nessum Dorma get repeated in the closing soundtrack. The music in this movie (yes, MI has one of the most easily recognized and best franchise tracks already) but this movie just tears it UP!!!!!!!
Most HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!
REFERENCE soundtrack and perhaps reference surround effects too, not sure, I got too caught up in the movie This is a GOOD MOVIE.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Wayne,

You beat me to it and did an excellent job on a full review! I couldn't agree more with everything you said on this one. PQ is really good and the SQ is reference. I'd say on par or better than Fury Road. The audio was loud, clean, and engaging. In short, everything it should be! PQ 4.5/5, SQ 5/5!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?