file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
YES, Rick, YES, exactly!!!!!
How is it possible to have one of, really THE LONGEST symphony in the usual repertoire, at around 100 minutes ALL IN YOUR HEAD, EVERY INSTRUMENT, SOLOIST AND TWO CHOIRS????????
Maestro Abaddo's whole demeanor when conducting is VERY much under control, rather than the over the top style of many of the best thought of conductors, he keeps his emotions in check, conducts very much within his calm., cool, sophisticated artist style. And when we get to the end of this symphony you can just see in his face he is choking back tears and emotion. WOW does not describe it.
Yes, Rick, I am not particularly used to classical symphonies. I totally understand it being a bit of work to GET INTO this.
I am sure, if I got dressed up in a suit and tie, got the wife to put on a little black number that would have everyone staring at her, went out to the symphony, had a couple of cocktails or glasses of wine before we went in, sat down with hundreds of folks all in eager expectation of hearing one of the greatest conductors of all time, conduct a hand-picked symphony orchestra with awesome musicians, a great, well renowned soloist plus two choirs......I am sure it would NOT take any time to get INTO IT!!!!!!!
But we come into our home theaters from everyday normal life, the cares of the world on our shoulders sometimes, maybe just had leftovers for dinner, again! And we normally listen to rock and roll, jazz or whatever, and YES, it does take a while to get into this powerful music of GRAND themes and dreams.
It is not background music. I can't do anything else, work on anything else, write emails, etc. I put this on when I can LISTEN to it.
And yes, in our busy lives, sometimes that takes several listening sessions.
I am just thrilled that someone besides me gets it. Enjoyed it.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OK, scary one tonight.
I have had "Babadook" now for a long time and never got around to watching it due to my preview did not impress me.
When I get blu-rays, I check them out to see if they work, see if they are capable of playing in dual languages and see if they are
fit for kids, or at least our teenager to watch. This one is an Australian horror film.
A TERRIBLE horror film.
it is DARK, and presents the dark side, for no good redeeming qualities I could find.
SQ is DTS-HD MA 5.1 and not nearly upto reference standard, pretty pedestrian really.
Some scary sounds, nothing worth any thing.
NOT RECOMMENDED
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Wayne,

I felt the same way about Babadook. Sorry I didn't post a review, maybe I could have saved you 90 minutes... Glad you had a good evening with your friend watching Dr. Zhivago and listening to music. The only thing better than enjoying your labor of love is sharing it with someone else who appreciates it.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks T. Cobe,
Babadook went into the trash, just kept the blu-ray box.
I have started doing that more and more lately, just binning em if I know I will never watch them again, never loan or give them to anybody, don't even want that crap in the house.
I need to do that with a LOT more.
Thanks for feedback, most times it seems no one reads my reviews, I appreciate you few guys who do.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Wayne,

I think a lot of people read and appreciate your posts, just as I do, but few comment. Based on the number of views on each thread and the number of guests that visit the forum each day, I think that's a safe assessment. Thanks for the continued reviews and supportive feedback that you offer to all!

After reading the reviews from you and Rick, I recently picked up Violin Concerto Symphony No. 9. I've listened a little briefly but haven't had time to delve in too deeply. I look forward to listening more. Thanks for the recommendation, I can already tell it is worth the price of admission from the little I have played.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks a LOT T. Cobe for your continued support.
I don't know where to see how many views a post might get, I only see the number of Thanks.
And, of course, I do not expect someone to go out and buy the things I recommend. I am VERY gratified to hear that you and Rick have done so, of course that really means a LOT. But I just hope that IF someone is already considering buying a disc, that my comments
might be enough to help them make their decision with a little more info.
This is my excuse for writing all this stuff on here.
It has NOTHING at all to do with the fact that nobody at my house or any where nearby will listen to anything I say!!!!! NOTHING at all!!!!!!
Just trying to do my service to humanity.
ha ha
Thanks buddy for the kind words,
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?