file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Glad to have someone musical here.
I sang in the choir and played the trombone in the band. I wonder if a lot of audiophiles have some musical background?
Anybody??????
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Glad to have someone musical here.
I sang in the choir and played the trombone in the band. I wonder if a lot of audiophiles have some musical background?
Anybody??????
God Bless, Wayne

I played the accordian in grade school, and the organ in my 20's and 30's... probably couldn't do either very well now after all these years...

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: forgot the pic info_outline
The cat's away, so I can play it LOUD, got "Counting Crows, August and Everything After-Live at Town Hall" on and it is AWESOME!!!!!!
It is in DTS-HD MA 5.1 with amazing sound. PQ is grainy on purpose I reckon. But you can see every one of the stray hairs from the dreads. Good enough for me.
This is heart felt 100% invested performance here, you have to check this out!!!!!!
Enjoy,
God Bless, I think I need a phone call.
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: wrong pic info_outline
I had to play this symphony because the wife was away, I could turn it up.
One of the, maybe the longest symphony that normally gets played, 90 to 100 mins, with 6 movements, the first one is around 30 mins long and it is AWESOME, POWERFUL!!!!!!!
The dynamic range is great, you need to turn this up for the quiet parts but hold on to your seat when the full power orchestra comes on!!!!!
Once again, Claudio Abbado leading the wonderful Lucerne Festival Orchestra (so many in it are soloists elsewhere) in a fantastic blu-ray.
DTS-HD MA5.1 superb sound, this has a big orchestra, a Alto soloist and a full women's and boy's choirs.
The first majestic movement makes the best use I have ever heard in classical music of the trombone, WOW!!!!!
Even IF you don't like to hear that fat lady sing the opera, this Alto soloist is an amazing singer, PURE and not way up there thrilling and warbling like some sopranos, this is just what it needs to be. The choirs are great. The last movement is FULL ON POWER & BEAUTY!!!!
At the end of it all, the Maestro has been so moved by the performance he is visibly moved and doesn't even turn around for the audience for the longest time to take a bow.
I am a beginner at this stuff, so I google the sym and read the wikipedia notes, which help a LOT.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this symphony, this performance and this disc.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
While I had it cranked up, I played again the 2L wonderful recording of
"Flute Mystery" by Fred Jonny Berg.
This Hi Rez disc can be played in DSD I think, but for sure I listen in DTS-HD MA5.1
Turn it up, it sounds GREAT!!!!!!
Yummmm, great music in surround sound!!!!!!
Enjoy,
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: I had to play this symphony because the wife was away, I could turn it up.
One of the, maybe the longest symphony that normally gets played, 90 to 100 mins, with 6 movements, the first one is around 30 mins long and it is AWESOME, POWERFUL!!!!!!!
The dynamic range is great, you need to turn this up for the quiet parts but hold on to your seat when the full power orchestra comes on!!!!!
Once again, Claudio Abbado leading the wonderful Lucerne Festival Orchestra (so many in it are soloists elsewhere) in a fantastic blu-ray.
DTS-HD MA5.1 superb sound, this has a big orchestra, a Alto soloist and a full women's and boy's choirs.
The first majestic movement makes the best use I have ever heard in classical music of the trombone, WOW!!!!!
Even IF you don't like to hear that fat lady sing the opera, this Alto soloist is an amazing singer, PURE and not way up there thrilling and warbling like some sopranos, this is just what it needs to be. The choirs are great. The last movement is FULL ON POWER & BEAUTY!!!!
At the end of it all, the Maestro has been so moved by the performance he is visibly moved and doesn't even turn around for the audience for the longest time to take a bow.
I am a beginner at this stuff, so I google the sym and read the wikipedia notes, which help a LOT.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this symphony, this performance and this disc.
God Bless,
Wayne

Hi, Wayne

I found what looks to be the same Blu-ray DVD on Amazon... same jacket cover. But on the picture of the back of the jacket, the sound options are listed as PCM 2.0 or PCM 5.1... no DTS 5.1 HD MA. Maybe the jacket back pic isn't correct?

Where did you find the DTS DVD version you played?

Thanks!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?