file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: more info_outline
OK Ladies and Germs,
It is gettin' creepy in here.
Tonight it was "Insidious 3"
PQ was great though dark a lot of the time, as befitting a horror film.
SQ by way of DTS-HD MA 5.1
It has the scary looking old lady, Lin Shaye in there, Stefanie Scott, and, good news, Hayley Kiyoko, who is also on the new CSI:Cyber. OK it is a small part and hardly worth mentioning, but she is a looker.
Alright, I am gonna call it, this is the best sound I EVER heard for Horror, in fact, I will go so far as to say REFERENCE for HORROR!!!!!
That means the surrounds are employed the BEST I ever heard for the loud shocking noises that add so much to modern horror movies.
You know, the jumps out of the dark, out of the closet, I am not gonna tell you the shocker in this one that woke up the wife and GOT my Attention. I just watched the "making of" featurette, and they call it "STING" the sound track, that LOUD shocker sting.
Good writing, good acting, the visual effects were well done.
Normally horror is pretty laughable to me, and this sorta went there at times, but at times it surprised me with some fresh, or at least new to me, stuff.
RECOMMENDED
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My lineup is set for my Fantasy Football team about ready to kick off. Watched a movie leading up to football time.
You have all heard of the folk singer that did an interview for Zig Zag mag and John Lennon wrote him a letter? And the letter did not get to the singer until like 34 years later. What a difference getting that letter in a timely fashion MIGHT have made we will never know.
The movie made about that true story is "Danny Collins" with Al Pacino.
PQ was pretty great, and SQ by way of DTS-HD MA 5.1 was fine. Honestly the soundtrack from this and all movies have never sounded better. My DIRAC room correction is really doing the job now, the XMC-1 sounding really great.
I like Pacino, and Bening is usually pretty good, Jennifer Garner was pregnant in this, but she is great, the little girl stole the show though.
This movie was better than I thought it would be. A bit of a tear jerker, very well written, and acted.
RECOMMENDED for a good story and acting.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here are a couple people.
I watched "The Woman in Black 2" and it was not very good at all.
PQ was dark and alright, but nothing great. SQ was by DTS-HD MA 5.1 and I guess it was alright. There were loud jump out at yas, that were OK. I like a good scary movie as much as the next guys, but this was not it, NOT RECOMMENDED.
I watched "The Gunman" with Sean Penn. I don't care for him personally much, but he can act.
The PQ was pretty good, and SQ was by way of Dolby True HD 7.1. not my favorite, I am a DTS man. But it was good enough sound to support the movie as it should have.
I was pleasantly surprised with how good this movie was, an action movie, rather formulaic but satisfying over all. I liked the locations they used, or depicted. Spain was especially fun.
For just good old entertainment, not reference, but quite good, this one is RECOMMENDED!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Thanks, Wayne. I share many of your same opinions on Gunman. I've never been a big fan of Sean Penn, with the exception of Fast Times at Ridgemont High of course. The Gunman was a very visusal movie and the acting was good. I also found it a bit formulaic and predictable along with a few distracting plot holes.

Anyone pick up Terminator Genisys yet? I'll have it waiting for me at home when I get back. This morning I'm on a bus ride from Florence to Sorrento.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh Yeah, Bro T. Cobe, you are on "THE TRIP".
Yes, I agree with you on FTARH, the best Sean Penn movie. No, have not seen Genisys yet.
Enjoy your time abroad, eat and drink and love and enjoy good music while you are at it, if you can. Art too, that will be easy.
All the best, have fun,
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: forgot the pic info_outline
Well, this is a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.
I watched "The Two Faces of January" tonight.
After watching it, I still have no idea what that title means/is about.
PQ was nothing speical. SQ was not either, until toward the end. By way of DTS-HD MA 5.1 the sound was very routine until the director decided that things were getting interesting, then the soundtrack took on some weight and volume. Some bass started to roll in to welcome some SMALL amount of excitement. OK, it was NOT an exciting movie. NOT really even very interesting. It drug along quite slowly. But by the end the soundtrack was great and stole the show, made me sooooo very thankful for my delicious sounding home theater starring GEt speakers!!!!!
Otherwise, NOT RECOMMENDED unless you are hard up for entertainment.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?