file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Here is a twofer for ya tonight.
"Jurassic World" and "San Andreas"
Both were made to be 3D after the fact, fake in other words, and so we did not buy Jurassic in 3D, but did buy San Andreas and watched it in the fake format, was not worth it. I love 3D so had to try, but when I do it is not satisfying unless really shot in native 3D mode.
Having said that, PQ for both was all I could ask for.
Both featured Dolby True HD 7.1 instead of my preferred DTS. The SQ for Jurassic was fine, nothing reference.
BUT hold on now, San Andreas WAS REFERENCE BASS!!!!!!
The first earthquake shook the room, shook the couch, was THRILLING!!!!!!
This movie gave a workout to the subs in all 4 Triton towers and the FF 5 in the rear of the room.
Our daughter was screaming throughout a LOT of the movie, this was good entertainment.
Was the story/plot/writing/acting any good? Well, NO. BUT Alexandria Daddario is in San Andreas. And Dwayne Johnson tries to act.
Jurassic World, only slightly recommended, a so so movie.
San Andreas is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for bass heads!!!!!!
It is now my new, go to, reference.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Thanks, Wayne. I'm watching ajurrasic World tonight. I'll compare notes. The SQ received pretty high marks from the press. They were less excited about the fake 3D. I guess I'll go for the 2D version first. Glad you received a care package from Amazon. I look forward to some more reviews.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey T. Cobe,
I am looking forward to hearing what you think.
I probably could have been a bit more excited in my review of JW, but having just watched and enjoyed San Andreas, I was too excited about it.
The story of JW is probably better than SA, if only because SA is pretty much a direct rip off of 2012. But I loved 2012 and love that story of reconciliation. Or the story of Day after Tomorrow, the estranged Daddy gets to save the family. These are some of my favorite CGI movies.
IF you find a great sound for reference in JW, please note what scene or where in the movie and I will enjoy going back to it and listening/watching to compare.
Thanks, enjoy, God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Well, I watched Jurrasic World last night: finally. I wanted to see this in the theater since I was such a fan of the original movie. It seemed to me that Jurrasic Park was a bit of a break through movie for special effects. Everything looked so real. Seeing realistic dinosaurs on the big screen was awesome.

The Good:

Jurrasic World captured the awe of the first movie. The effects were great and everything looked very realistic. The sets were very well thought out and it was fun seeing Mr. Hammond's dream turned to reality. The sound track also did a good job transporting you to the park and putting you in the middle of the action. Those that didn't get to see Jurassic Park in the theater were able to relive much of the magic with this movie. I suppose that's why it did so well in the box office.

The Bad:

I wish they had spent half the time developing the dialogue and characters as they did the movie sets and CGI. The people in this film were very one dimensional and I never develops a connection to or empathy for any of them. The story was pretty formulaic and you knew exactly where everything was going through the entire movie. I guess when there is this much money on the line, you don't want to mess too much with the formula.

PQ was pretty solid. There were a few areas where things seemed to get pretty grainy but the development of the sets and the CGI was eye candy even if the PQ wasn't pristine. The SQ was somewhat predictable here as well. There were big booms when there was supposed to be and the action scenes weren't really what stood out to me. Mad Max Fury Road was still much better for that. The best part of the sound in this movie was the immersive surround when the main characters were traveling around the park. The sound in these scenes did a very good job transporting you to the theme park. In the end, that's what a movie sound track should do.

I'm going with a 4/5 for both SQ and PQ. Both supported the movie quite well but I agree with Wayne, there was nothing really reference quality here. If I've got 5 minutes to show off my home theater, this isn't the disc I'm grabbing. However, I do envision hosting a movie night for the nieces and nephews with this movie. In the end, it was a lot of fun and did capture the same movie magic of the original.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for that good and more thorough review T. Cobe.
So last night I watched "SPY" with the hilarious (and nasty) Ms. McCarthy, Jude Law and Jason Statham. And more.
A great cast, a good premise for a funny movie and it was funny. I made the mistake of watching the unrated version, not the
theatrical version, so I saw MORE than I wanted to. And the language was pretty rough.
PQ was fine, SQ by way of DTS-HD MA 7.1 was not reference but worked for this kind of movie.
Recommended for a laugh, lots of laughs here.
Then tonight we watched "Avengers, Age of Ultron" which bro T. Cobe has already reported on.
I find the writing and story lines for the Avengers series quite good, or at least better than most of these sequel projects.
WAY too much CGI for me, but the DTS-HD MA 7.1 sound was REALLY good here. Yes, PQ was fine too, as expected.
My FF5 and 4 built in subs had the place rocking again, the couch was shaking, not as much as it was in San Andreas, but a good bit, could easily be used as a demo disc.
You should really watch San Andreas and Avengers, Ultron, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T. Cobe, I just went back and found your Avengers Ultron review, and agree with it a lot. It was quiet so I had to boost the overall level, and then the bass really popped, yes, it made this bass head smile!!!!
I don't know anything about stones, if not the Rolling Stones, so a lot of the plot was lost to me, but it was exciting enough that the girlie was screaming again, but not as much as San Andreas.
It made for a good night at the movies.
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?