file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: forgot to say info_outline
Soundstage presents
"REO Speedwagen, Live in the Heartland" on blu ray.
The PQ is outstanding, really wonderful.
The SQ by way of DTS-HD MA 5.1 is not reference, not quite up to the quality of the video. I honestly do not know what it MIGHT sound like if the good wife was not asleep right next to me on the couch. I would have it cranked.
BUT this is an up close and personal look at old rockers that well, not to put too fine a point on it, trying to be kind here, they might just have looked a little bit better in their heyday, maybe the camera could use a good smear of grease over the lens. Ha ha
Well, we all have to grow up, and these guys are alright, came back a little soft for my tastes, but still musical.
Bro Anthem, they do have a Hammond organ in here.
I want the job working for Soundstage, I want to be the guy that gets to put the audience members where they should be for the greater good of the camera angles. In other words, I want to pick the beautiful womens that get right in the front row.
OK, recommended or not? One thing I will say for the Soundstage blu rays, they are not weird. They are straight up concerts, small venue, over the hill stars of yesteryear, but well done, nicely presented.
So yeah, Recommended.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91tPMqKFI4L._SX522_.jpg

Picked up The Fifth Element: Supreme Cinema Series from UPS this morning. This is a classic...well, at least it is now. I remember watching this at the theater. It was great for its time. The effects were pretty stellar for the 1990s and the sound was very dynamic. I remember the movie theater experience very vividly. It was one of those magic movie moments for me.

Fast forward a few decades and I've not been able to recreate that experience. At least not until today. The few transfers of this film to disc have been less than spectacular but this version has amped up the sound and added a new level of color and clarity to the film that was previously unavailable to home theater enthusiasts.

PQ: Right from the opening scene, you knew this was going to be good. The level of detail in the characters faces was striking. You could see every follicle, pore, and bead of sweat. Everything was rich in color and texture. This continued on for the entire film. There were a few times the picture seemed a bit grainy but that added a bit to the cinematic quality. 5/5 for PQ.

SQ: I remember using this movie to shop for my home theater surround sound in 2009 and being very underwhelmed. The dynamics and immersion were just not that convincing. This new Atmos mix has swung things 180 degrees. The sound track is now extremely dynamic and plants you firmly into the action. Scene 5, the escape from the lab, and scene 13, the space opera, are both worthy demo material. Sound isn't quite as crisp as Mad Max Fury Road and there is not as much LFE, but this is solid. 4.5/5.

Chances are many of you have seen this film. Should you buy another version if you already own another becomes the primary question. if you're like me and enjoy this film but have been underwhelmed by previous transfers, then I highly recommend this version. You will be rewarded with top notch picture and sound. I'll be queuing this one up again when I finally have Atmos in place!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi T. Cobe,
Dang it, just after I got my Amazon order all finished, NOW you write this.
I have several copies, versions of this movie, I love it and used it for a long time as my demo DVD.
The beginning of the scene where they are reconstructing her bit by bit, piece by piece, the sounds there are quiet, slow and small and then build in speed and volume and are fascinating to watch and listen to. And when the Diva sings the sound is pure and so beautiful.
I guess I may have to buy it again.
BUT
On Amazon many folks complain about the book, pages in upside down and the cover falling off when first opened. Did you have any of this problem?
What is the sound recorded in now? Do you recommend it for us NON ATMOS interested peeps????
Thanks and God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Wayne,

I had no issues with the packaging but it was packaged differently than any other disc I have seen. I'm not sure how well it would hold up with repeated use. It looks like there is a similar release without the unique case.

I was watching the movie on a non-Atmos system. Even without the ceiling speakers, the sound is great. I've found that the sound on Atmos movies, since it is still object based, is more immersive and dynamic. It will still play in Dolby TrueHD7.1. Mad Max FuryRoad was another example of this. Most of the Atmos mixed movies just sound better to me.

I would say this is a definite must have if you're a fan of the movie. The improvement in picture and sound were significant. The sound, in particular, is a huge leap forward. This movie was a standard reference disc for testing projector skin tones for many years but I still think the level of detail in the picture is a noticeable improvement as well. The opera scene literally gave me chills, it just sounded SO good. I suppose it could have to do with my GET speakers... ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Bro T. Cobe,
I would certainly buy it if I can get the same disc without the silly case for half price!!!!!
But that was not clear at all on the Amazon site when I looked.
I love it when that blue lady sings, and when she pre-cogs and sings "I found it" I find that hilarious. OK, I am easily amused.
Thanks for the good heads up about this, it will certainly join my group of multiple versions along side DSOTM and Brothers in Arms.
Speaking of, you guys have heard the DVD-Audio 5.1 version of REM's Automatic for the People haven't you? It is incredible sounding.
I just searched it on Amazon and it is hard to find.
Have fun with your new movie, God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OK, last night it was "Mr. Turner" a blu ray of the life, times and work of J. M. W. Turner the GREAT (greatest to me) British painter.
His work is called Romanticism and Impressionism or some combination of the above.
The PQ is alright, some great scenes that show some of the inspiration of the great artist. SQ by way of DTS-HD MA 5.1 is fine for good score music, nothing reference here.
Most of you will not like nor watch this movie.
I had the privilege of seeing LOTS of his paintings in person in the Tate Museum in London. Several times.
His paintings are wonderful!!!!!!
The movie shows what life in the 1800s might have been like, warts and all. A pretty horrible life, IYAM, which nobody did.
For all that he was not appreciated, even mocked in his lifetime, Turner sold lots of paintings and had a small fortune when he died, he could have been VERY wealthy, but he would not sell many paintings, he GAVE them to the British people, but asked that they be kept and displayed together for free. None of that happened.
It is all pretty miserable stuff, with a few bright spots, that is where the light comes in, in his paintings.
HIGHLY recommended for anyone who cares about art.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?