file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: funnier info_outline
Art thou artsy-fartsy enough for a modern setting, modern day movie based on a Shakespeare story with mostly Shakespearean lines? Oh, and one nobody ever heard of. Then you might enjoy "Cymbeline", starring Ed Harris and Milla Jojovich, Ethan Hawke and lots more. I did NOT. Could not even finish the sucker. Sorry.
PQ, who cares? SQ by way of Dolby HD 5.1, who cares?
NOT worth my time, probably not yours either unless you are a REAL Shakespeare freak.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last night it was "TomorrowLand" by Disney.
PQ is great as expected. and SQ is by way of my favorite DTS-HD MA 7.1
Well it is a GREAT premise for a movie, a GREAT message, everyone needs to hear!!!!!
Unfortunately this was pretty poorly written, well acted, but a bit of a letdown.
It is not reference quality sound, at least I did not notice anything super sounding, but I was really into the movie,
ROOTING and HOPING it would be good.
The wife and daughter fell asleep.
I cheer, and recommend the message of this movie (I am not giving it away here), but can barely recommend the actual way
the movie came out.
YMMV.
Then tonight I watched "Entourage", NOT by Disney. It was crude and gross at times, LOTS and LOTS of great looking girls!!!!!!
PQ made sure you could see the girls!!!!!! SQ by way of DTS-HD MA5.1 was quite OK, I did not really notice, too busy looking at the girls. And all the stars putting in cameos here. They are everywhere.
This movie was actually more entertaining than the one above. Sad to say, as this movie was a pretty good buddy film, and that in
itself is a GREAT message as well. The movie is SICK, but everybody is in it, I might be in it, will have to watch it again.
RECOMMENDED for lite entertainment. And beautiful girls.
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
I was finally able to sit down and watch Terminator Genisys Wednesday. I've been fighting a bit of jet lag and recovering from a 48 hour travel debacle so it's taken me a little time to get my thoughts together and post them. I've been up since about 0230 this morning and was also able to watch Man from U.N.C.L.E. before getting busy with projects today. We're expecting 6-10 inches of snow overnight so I had to get all of my outdoor projects completed before that hit. I'm looking forward to the snow. It a good excuse to stay in and catch up on the DVR playlist.

Regarding Terminator Genisys, if you're a fan of the franchise, this is a must see. It's certainly better than a few of the other movies in terms of writing, acting, and PQ/SQ. The cast is solid and everyone puts in a convincing performance, with the possible exception of Arnold if you're not a fan. Despite a plot hole or two, nothing too distracting, this was an entertaining film. Where it really shined was in the technical presentation.

PQ was crystal clear. A lot of the film was quite dark in terms of lighting so 3D was a bit dim but the contrast ratios and dark level detail was all stellar. It never really appeared muddy or washed out despite all the dark scenes. There was a lot of texture and detail presented. The picture was sharp enough to make me question if 4K would really make a significant difference. I never noticed any graininess or visual distortions. Some of the CGI was a little off. A solid 4.5/5 on PQ.

SQ was also excellent! The one aspect that stood out with this film's sound was the amount of surround detail. It was incredibly immersive. As expected in a big action movie, it was dynamic and contained a significant amount of LFE. Bassheads will this one. I suspect this one will serve as a popular demo disc for surround sound. 5/5 for SQ due to the level of immersion and the layers of surround detail.

I don't expect this one to win any critical acclaim, but it was a fun ride and was full of stimulus for the eyes and ears. This is what home theater is all about! Definitely recommend this one unless you hate sci-fi or the Terminator franchise.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Still playing catch up here... It's a beautiful Winter morning in Wisconsin and the meteorologists were correct: we have several inches of fresh snow. What a difference 24 hours makes. It sure is beautiful! The icing on the cake is, it's game day and I'm looking forward to watching some football. It's been 2 weeks, but enough about that, this is supposed to be a quick review of Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Guy Ritchie is a great director and this is one of his films. One of my favorites of his, and maybe one of my top 5 favorite films, is Snatch. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it. This film gets a bit of a Luke warm reception from me. The movie is highly stylized and pretty to look at but the acting leaves a bit to be desired. If you approach it as a bit of a campy action/comedy, it's pretty good. I've never seen the original TV series to make direct comparisons: it was a bit before my time.

PQ was good though I believe the color was tweaked to make it appear a bit vintage. Cinematography was solid and the production was first rate. There was good use of lighting and everything was solid. I'll go with 4/5 for PQ.

SQ was much like PQ. There was nothing there to distract but I wasn't drawn in as I was with Terminator. The action scenes were not as dynamic and there certainly wasn't as much LFE. I'm going 3.5/5.

In all, this was a stylish and fun ride and not the worst way to spend a couple of hours. The two main actors were a bit lacking but that may have been intentional. I may have to watch an episode of the TV series to compare.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey T. Cobe,
Thanks for the good movie reports, we have missed you!!!!
Please share a trip report for us, IF you don't mind. I would love to hear more about it.
Sounds like there is a story there.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tonight I watched an interesting movie, "Are You Here".
This is a well crafted comedic/drama with Owen Wilson, Zach G., Laura Ramsey and Amy Poehler.
The writing is pretty good, the acting is all over the place, but pretty good.
The funniest line, Owen Wilson goes out to get a chicken for dinner, he is chasing the hens around and says, "this is just like picking out your lobster"!!!!!! That scene then turns from comedy to drama, and the whole movie changes there from comedy to drama too.
PQ was fine, normal blu-ray. SQ was by way of not my favorite, Dolby True-HD 5.1 and not remarkable.
This is not great movie making, but it is slightly better than average IMHO.
YMMV.
RECOMMENDED entertainment.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?