file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 10 years 3 weeks ago
We didn't use the Anthem, just listened through the TV. I didn't delete it, so can always listen through the stereo system later this fall. You've peaked my interest on the sound...I'll check it out.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 3 days ago
OK, I have been away, and now that I am back, am behind on my reporting.
Captain America 2 in 3D, the Winter Soldier
Well this is the second in a series it would seem, they definitely intend at least one more.
This was in DTS MA 7.1. I love to have my back channels play, but honestly, I could not hear much of anything added by them.
It was escapist but full blown production that we have come to expect.
Nothing demo quality here, sound or 3D picture wise, IMHO.
The Emperor 2012.
Tommy Lee Jones plays MacArthur and Matthew Fox plays Gen. Fellers, true story here about finding out whether or not to hang the Japanese Emperor after the war. DTS MA 5.1 sound, nothing special.
Nothing demo quality here IMHO.
The Grand Budapest Hotel also in DTS MA 5.1 sound. Here I could not notice any surround offerings, nothing stood out except the music which was really quite awesome!! It all seemed to come from a wall of sound across the front of the theater, maybe the rears filled in, I did not notice really. But some of the music was dramatic, full and wonderful. Some organ music I really enjoyed in my system. This is a quirky movie, with GREAT actors and interesting story. It is a crazy movie. WELL DONE.
This one takes a sense of humor and appreciation of art.
That Awkward Moment, who cares what the sound was, a nasty, low class comedy which I had to turn off due to the daughter watching with us. Not for family viewing but does have a love story feel good ending IF you can hang in there that long.
Hope these reviews help,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 11 months ago
"As I Lay Dying"
Well, I guess Bro Anthem is the only one who reads these, or at least he is kind enough to put a thank you on them.
This is Faulkner's great novel which I would have thought defied turning into a movie, but they did.
James Franco acted in and directed this ambitious effort. Some of the acting is world class, some less so. But it is a difficult book to make a movie out of, as each chapter is inside the head, the thoughts of one of the characters. They did away with that and my favorite part of the book.
I won't write much more because most don't care and IF anyone does love Faulkner as I do, then they need to see this. I have to go back and read the book again, it has been so many years.
Picture and sound quality are excellent, but there is nothing reference here.
For REFERENCE, see my next review.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
anthem Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Hey my Retired Thailand Brother...don't be disheartened, I for one, enjoy your reviews. I believe others are reading your posts, but not hitting the LIKE button. Keep watching those movies...we love your reviews and your "2 cents". Without YOU this forum would be dead.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Thanks Bro Anthem, you are too kind.
Here is a follow-up report from RTB (Retired Thailand Brother) on a REFERENCE quality Blu-ray movie: "Godzilla".
This BR is 3D and sports wonderful DTS HD MA 7.1 sound.
If you have a home theater you will know it if you play this blu-ray, or not. The home part is not hard (can stop the show and to the toilet, pop some popcorn, kiss you darling, etc.). But you will know if you have a theater or not, as you play this, if you get caught up in the movie, and transported away to a world where creatures lie hidden away in the earth, soaking up radiation and come out once in a while to play and fight and generally destroy anything that is not nailed down really well. When you walk out after the show you will go WOW, that was a theater experience!!!!
The picture quality of this BR is nothing to write home about, good enough to not be any distraction, though it is pretty dark a LOT of the time. This was not a problem to the 3D it just is the kind of 3D that was made so after the fact, not really filmed in 3D. Therefore the 3D is disappointing. I only mention this because I really LOVE a good 3D movie, and thought, hoped this would be one.
There are some really great actors in here, and they do mak a difference, but they don't last long enough into the movie for me. And the ones that do make it, are much lesser quality actors (except for Ken Watanabe, who is just given a poor part). Better young actors would have raised this movie up to a top-notch great movie. Because.......
The SOUND was AWESOME!!!!!
I watched this movie in Thai with my family the first time around, but "maybe" it was Dolby Digital 5.1 in Thai, not sure. Not that great, sorry for the people around the world, most of the other soundtracks used are much less exciting than the English one is.
So today I put in on in DTS 7.1 English and watched again. I was shocked at how good this soundtrack is! I do not believe I have heard as effective use of the surround speakers before. Certainly not the rear surrounds, never used this well. But the surround left and right speakers had more and important information/sound/even sometimes dialogue too, NEVER heard that much involvement of the surrounds.
Once they are walking through a forest place and we have surround ambient forest creature sounds all around, even the rear surrounds (6 and 7) had frogs and lizards croaking and clicking, distinct-clear-dedicated sounds to those little used speakers. I was so happy my Triton 7s were back there playing today!!!!
Helicopters flying all over in this movie, sounding great moving around. Footfalls of Godzilla put the old T-Rex of Jurassic Park days to shame. You would expect all that, but this movie does more, the dialogue when someone is wearing a mask is spot on, when talking in another room (interrogation room) totally realistic, nuanced sounds here.
WOW I love my GoldenEar Tech. home theater!!!!!
Get this movie to show off your surround sound system. It may also restore your faith in nature. Or not.
Enjoy watching and listening.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
anthem Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Hey RTB...Truly a Great Review...I'll be checking this one out...glad your T7's are back in action. B)

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?