file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 3 months ago
We watched AMOUR the last two nights, two because it was hard going, slow and some boring, but it was a pain to watch. It had won an Academy award, for pity's sake.
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We watched AMOUR the last two nights, two because it was hard going, slow and some boring, but it was a pain to watch. It had won an Academy award, for pity's sake.
Although there was much to be sympathetic with, the end of the movie was horrible. Terrible.
And the idea that this is a presentation of LOVE sickens me.
Not recommended.
Did have some OK snippets of piano music in there, nothing demo worthy.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 3 months ago
But Wayne...the audiences and critics loved it. You didn't like 12 Years a Slave...the wife & I did. Seems like everything you hate we love...my curiosity for Amour at this moment is quite high. :)
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Bro Anthem,
Don't do it. You won't like it.
Actually I really like 12 Years a Slave. It was great. I just did not buy into the idea that we are still today required to have a dinner of guilt every night, because of wrongs done by our great grandparents or their acquaintances.
Sins of the fathers sort of thing.
Meanwhile, I am watching "The Great Gatsby" tonight.
Just finishing it. It deserves to be reviewed by itself.
Blessings,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Hey Wayne...Tuesday, "Lone Survivor"starring Mark Walberg comes out...I've seen the previews, looks good.
For the time being, I'll abstain from viewing Amour...ha-ha
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"The Great Gatsby" latest version with L. Di Caprio.
OK, we have yet another attempt to make a movie of the greatest American novel ever written and one of the greatest novels of all time in the whole world. The beauty of the written word here makes it impossible to make movie with the same flavor, impact, grace and style, etc. etc. etc. Add to that I don't care for L Di Cap. and I almost did not watch it.
Dad gummit, I felt like nearly every actor was mis-cast. Toby?
And the story between Nick and Jordan was almost totally missing from this movie, but that was a clever way to not deal with too much.
The GOOD NEWS: This version is awesome. I was SHOCKED!
The sound and picture quality were superb!!!! In order to show Gatsby's parties for the hip thing they were back then, the producers used modern dance-beat music sometimes with its driving bass. Well my Forcefield 5 got to strut its stuff. It never played music like that before, likely will not again, but it did the job remarkably.
Good use of off stage left and right sound effects. At one point the phone rings a long way off to the right rear, then the camera pans over there so the phone is just in the frame and when it rings again, it is full left front.
The cinematography was just incredible. The juxtaposition between the old rich and the new rich was there, but set against an even more strong rich (of any kind) vs POOR working class, which was almost in black and white with highlights of color.
I hate to admit this, but I grudgingly admit that after seeing this movie, I understand the book better now!
Clever homage was given to the book, at one point letters are seen falling down like snow as Nick is writing down his account of what went wrong.
Don't expect it to be as good as the book, OR COURSE that is impossible, but taken on its own terms this is one LOVELY movie.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?