file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 1 month ago
We watched an INTERESTING movie last night.
"HER"
This is starring Joaquin Phoenix, who I think is a wonderful actor. This just feels right as the next logical extension of where we are right now, everyone glued to their iPads and mobile phones. Then HER.
I can see people needing to get a divorce from their Operating Systems.
Seriously, this movie has a LOT to say. Yes, it is STRANGE. But then, so is life, you might have noticed.
The only thing good I can say about the sound is that there was some, even when there was nothing on the screen.
This movie is worth watching. I think they could have done even more with this idea, so I would not be surprised to see a movie with OS2 in it.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Watched a few Blu-rays lately, thought I would report in.
"Stash House", terrible. Waste of time. Worst acting in a coon's age.
"The Air I Breathe", strange and only recommended for artsy fartsy types.
"Amelie" a treat for artsy fartsy types that can understand French. This really is a delightful movie, but just for chuckles. And perhaps you have to have spent some time in France or with French people to enjoy this kind of movie.
"Way Way Back"--Oh boy, if growing up was not terrible enough, now we have to watch someone else suffer through it???? Forget it.
Man, what messed up people! We got ourselves a duffus here, and worse, he is told he is a duffus by his mom's boyfriend (played by Steve Carrell, so I thought this might be a good movie) and then we watch the whole movie to see him begin to get a modicum of acceptance (from REAL losers) so he doesn't have to feel soooooo bad. Wow, didn't see that coming, ha ha.
This got good ratings but I hated it. Sound, duh, not sure it had any more than dialog that sucked.
No recommendations here really. Amelie if and only if you fill the quirky bill.
No? OK then, NO recommends here.
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Now for something more interesting.
I got the home theater dried out, no more flood at the moment, thank God!!!!! All speakers playing again, Thank God!!!!!
Last night I put on Disney's "OZ, the Great and Powerful in 3D"
My 3D experience here (after the opening credits which had a beautiful bird and a WEIRD fairy fish flying very convincingly out of the screen) was horrible. The 3D was so bad I looked it up to see if they just tacked that on in post production, but NO. So I think Your Mileage will vary, it is supposed to be great 3D. My disc MUST be defective.
But SOUND: Disney promises a DTS MA HD 7.1 "nearfield" surround experience and it does pretty much deliver. Information is sent to the surround speakers, even the rear surrounds. And the sub. There is a LOT of shish boom bah at times in the movie.
The good news is that they tried. I mean, really this should be good stuff, very artsy beginning and set up to this flick. Even has the B&W start with the tornado (I am guessing the original Wizard of OZ had this, I never saw it). The bad news is, it just is NOT interesting. It is just STUPID. The sad thing is, I don't think it is really good for kids either. Bro Anthem, you MIGHT like it, not sure.
The good news is that Mila Kunis is in this movie. The bad news is she should sue Disney for wasting her in this movie.
AT least this is one more use of 7.1 in the movies, I applaud that.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here is another review for you.
I sent the wfe to buy the blu-ray of the new Hercules movie. She bought "The Legend of Hercules" 3D.
Well, the good news is this is REALLY great 3D.
The bad news is, the actors are not so good, the story not good at all, the models of the ancient cities look pretty amateurish.
The love interest is good enough looking, and maybe the ladies MIGHT like the muscle-bound actor, not sure.
The sound is ONLY in 5.1 but is reasonable. Not demo worthy, but quite an addition to a not very good movie. The 3D pic and the sound carry this movie, get you through it.
But that is all, just get you through.
Not really recommended unless you like pop out of the screen, nice depth of field, 3D.
In that case, enjoy.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"The Monuments Men"
A super good story, based on a true story, super well done and heart warming.
Good acting, very interesting.
And in perfect 5.1 surround sound, was fine. Not demo material IMHO, but it served the movie well.
At one point a woman is singing "have yourself a merry little Christmas" acapella all around us, then it devolves to the center
channel speaker and is PERFECT.
Highly recommended movie because of the subject and actors and scenery.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 4 weeks ago
Last edit: 10 years 4 weeks ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: can't type info_outline
Today we watched "Divergent".
It was in 7.1 DTS surround sound and the sound did not disappoint. Nor did it sound special.
This is not demo material IMHO.
And the movie, for all that it was a decent story, dragged and set up what was gonna happen so long i never thought we would get to the end, to the payoff.
S-L-O-W movie!!!!!
Interesting but SLOW.
Sorry I cannot really recommend it.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?