file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Off work early today so decided to watch "Saving Private Ryan." I rented this one years ago on dvd with a DTS soundtrack. I liked the sound so much, I bought it. This is absolutely demo material... I'm still amazed with the sound all these years later..Thumbs up!!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
anthem Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Last night, before the fireworks started, the wife and I watched Captain Phillips... it's about Captain Phillips who attempts to escape from armed Somali pirates while the U.S. Navy tries to rescue him. The wife really enjoyed it...I thought it was a little slow.

The picture had a significant amount of grain in the darker scenes, which caused me to lose focus on the story. Sound was nothing to get excited about. Worth a one-time viewing?... yes.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
anthem Posted 10 years 2 months ago
This morning, while the wife was out, I watched Lone Survivor. It's about four Navy Seals on a covert mission to neutralize a high-level al-Qaeda operative. Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, WAR IS HELL.Thank God for our Brothers and Sisters who have given their lives to protect and serve this wonderful nation. I will admit...by the end of the movie, I almost shed a tear ...very touching.

A most beautiful picture and GREAT sound. Intense graphic violence thru-out. One thing that did bother me though...the use of the "f" word...highly overused, and because of that, I give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 1 month ago
I got Lone Survivor, but have not watched it yet.
Last night the wife and I watched Pompeii. We were underwhelmed. To say the least.
Normally you are to root for the good guys and against the bad guys.
Well, number one, the BAD guy was Jack Bauer (K Sutherland) of 24 and I will never get caught rooting against him.
And the poor little rich girl with the bad fiance problem, heroine/love interest of the movie was so unattractive that my wife was rooting for her to get killed the whole movie.
Sound? OK I guess. There must have been lots of splosions I just did not notice, must have been somewhat involved in the movie.
I can't recommend this movie, but it is not bad.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The Conjuring---This is a GOOD MOVIE!!!!
After the wife went to sleep beside me in the home theater (and THANK GOD she did) I put on "the Conjuring".
Based on the real life story of Ed and Lorraine Warren, demonologists and ghost hunters, this is one of their experiences.
The name of the movie conjures up (pun intended) other things than this movie has, but I guess the Exorcist was already taken.
I have got to tell you guys about this movie, I don't usually like or watch "scary" movies. And when I do, I usually laugh at how inept they are at being scary. This will scare the bettlejuice out of ya. And test your system!!!!!
OK, we can be all macho and say no movie will scare us, but I will say I never had a horror movie make such good use of the sounds before, especially the subwoofer. The low bass is used to underpin the horror and excitement building up. It shook the home theater many times! The surrounds got some good effect, too little IMHO, but still quite good.
I was glad the wife and daughter did NOT watch this movie.
I was glad I did. Highly recommended and entertaining.
Bro Anthem, I know you like movies with Megan Fox in them, this stars Vera Farmiga, a more grown up woman, did you see her in "Up in the air"?
Put on your cross and splash yourself liberally with holy water before watching.
Enjoy,
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just saw "Lone Survivor" and all what Bro Anthem said is right on!!!!!
WOW!!!
The sound in the fire fight scenes, and there are a LOT and protracted, are IMMERSIVE!!!!! Before I used the beach invasion in "Saving Private Ryan" for demo purposes, gun shots front and back. Well this movie puts you in the middle of fighting, gunshots, RPG explosions, rocks and shrapnel flying all around. Truly Scary Stuff!!!!!
I could only wish this were in 7.1 but it was doggone good in 5.1
Being a true story and also presenting a good view of our men in the Forces, and even balanced showing some goodness on the other side, it makes for a wonderful film!!!!!
Highly recommended!!!!
Blessings,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?