• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
More info re power cords:

When I installed the new Marantz AVR, there was a Venom 3 power cord attached to the NAD it replaced. I had assumed that if the NAD benefited some from that, the Marantz would also, so I had just plugged the Venom into the new Marantz. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I decided to listen, for the first time, with the stock power cord. I liked that sound better! Just a little more edgy (not harsh), more like the NAD had produced on acoustic guitar stuff, yet still with the smooth, rich sound I so liked with the Marantz. I'm liking the Marantz even more with the stock cord.

It's no wonder there are so many opinions on the utility of "better" power cords! It depends so much on the component they're tried on and what might already be going on in that component for power handling, the characteristics of the cord being tested, the whole integrated system down to speakers...on and on. I liked the changes the Venom 3's made on the receiver powered T2's, couldn't detect much on the externally amped T1's, liked the more subtle changes on the NAD receiver, and just discovered I prefer stock cords on the Marantz receiver, vs. the subtle changes the Venom had made.

I AM convinced that power cords with different characteristics can make changes in the whole AC power feed equation. But I'm also convinced that just because cord A creates a SQ difference on model X receiver driving model Z speakers does not guarantee it will make a similar difference on a model Y receiver, with different internal processing, or different speakers.

The world of power cords seems more complicated, with more variables, than changing out interconnects or speaker cables. BUT, if one can find the right power cord for the right component, system and listening preferences, the changes can be very meaningful (..."awesomely fantastic", to quote Anthem). I suspect there's no other way to find out what works where, than just experimenting some, as Anthem has done.

Yes, Anthem, I still will be testing the Anti-Cable on the OPPO and the Marantz. I'm making some cabinet access changes this week to accommodate the stiffer Anti-Cable, and to allow me to run additional analog interconnects from the OPPO to the Marantz.

I returned the third Venom.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Thanks Rick for a great post, I totally agree with everything you said.

I has been roughly one week since the Anti-Cable was installed on the Oppo 105. I can say without hesitation that no other power cord, speaker wire, interconnect, or electronic component, has made a difference in sonics as the Anti-Cable has. Yesterday I received an email stating the two Anti-Cable's I ordered will arrive on Saturday. I have not sent Dilettante cord back yet, so will have 3 cords to experiment with. An Anti-Cable on the Oppo 105 is an ABSOLUTE MUST. I Also want to try one on the Torii, and then on the T2's. I still believe that after reading through Dilettante's emails, the magic came when the AntiCable was installed on the Oppo 105. I'll repeat myself once again, with the installation of the Anti-Cable Reference 3 powercord on the Oppo 105, the sonic signature of my system has completely changed for the better. Every cd played through the Oppo now grabs my attention like never before, and I'm always anticipating what the next cd will sound like, even though I've heard it many times...and believe me, they always sound better with the Anti-Cable in place.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Hi, Anthem

I (maybe not my checkbook!) will be waiting to hear how the Anti-Cable works on your other components!

I may try the one I order on the T2's also.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Rick

I'm trying to read between the lines...have you already ordered an Anti-Cable or just thinking about it?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

anthem wrote: Rick

I'm trying to read between the lines...have you already ordered an Anti-Cable or just thinking about it?

Hi, Anthem

I ordered one today. I'm well past just thinking about it. I wanted to time the arrival with opening up access to the cabinets in back so I could move it around between the OPPO and the Marantz..

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hi Bro AntiCables, er, I mean, Bro Anthem,
Well the dealer for AntiCables over here in Thailand, HiFi Part, has them in stock. But when contacted by me and a friend of mine he thought the idea of a 30 day money back guarantee was laughable!!!!! I said, it says you offer that, right there on your website, and he said, sorry, he copied what AntiCables has on their website, but in NO WAY was he honoring such a silly offer.
Not surprising, and not surprisingly I am not buying them without such a guarantee. Since I HIGHLY doubt that I could hear any difference from the quality cables I use now.
Anyway, FUNNY.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back