file Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)

• bambam841's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 71
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
bambam841 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Thank you for that, however I already have a professional installer that will be ready to help me setup and optimize my gear when I get it all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by bambam841. info_outline
I stopped by Audio Visions south (Tampa) yesterday and very glad I did. They had me look at the new Marantz AV7702 MK2 pre/pro, I was previously torn between a Marantz or Anthem receiver. However after the demo I just have to go with the separates. I will pair it with the Emotiva XPA-5. when I complete the system I now have in mind it will be as follows

Maranatz AV7702 MK2
Emotiva XPA-5
GE Triton 5's, 5 in total for mains, rears, and center channel- take off the base plate and wall mount it horizontally just beneath my "65" Panasonic P65VT30. Anybody: please let me know if that center channel idea is not a good plan. In my mind it SEEMS like it would sound incredible and be an impressive front sound stage, but then again I am just a beginner in this area. I would then just sell the GE XL super center I have now.
SVS SB13 Total=2
Audioquest type 4 cables

I am sure you guys would like to know my impression of this setup as soon as I get it all up and running, but being 13K total cost, it will require me to go from the 70 hours a week that I currently work to 90. So roughly by next May I should have it saved up. I will definitely post the results when I do.

Off topic, silly joke for the day. A 13 ft. alligator walks into the Police station. All the officers freak out and grab their guns, pointing at the beast. The gator quickly says " hold your fire, I'm just here for a job" one of the cops replies "what exactly is it that you do? He says "I'm an InvestiGATOR" DOH!! hope that was at least worth a chuckle for everybody.

Forgot to add, while I was at audio visions they had a pair of B & W 800 diamond series in the show room. I had to experience a demo. all I can say is WOW you gotta be kidding me. they absolutely floored me. Of course they are $17K :ohmy: :ohmy: If the salesman had said to me you can have them for both your legs, it would have taken me 0.05 seconds to tell him " go get the saw!!

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hey Bambam841,
Man you made me laugh!!!!!
The Gator, the B&Ws for your legs, and sorry but the Triton 5 mounted sideways.
PLEASE don't do that until you have tried your home theater with the SC XL FIRST!!!!! You will NOT need to mess around a T 5 for a center channel, even though it would theoretically be a GREAT idea and sound system. The XL is no slouch I assure you, heck I just have the SC X and it is seriously great.
If you go with separates, the Marantz and Emotiva amps will play some seriously wonderful sound, and all your speakers will open up and sound amazing.
Hey Man, we understand about working hard and saving up for your system. We are all behind you, rooting for you to get a fine system set up.
You will get there, you have good ears, you can hear what you need, you have a good plan, be patient and go for it.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, bambam841

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Bambam841,

I already have the XPA-5 and plan on getting the 7702 mkII by Christmas. It's definitely a good route to go. The Emotiva amps sound great for the money and will out do any AVR, IMO. Going separates with the 7702 mkII will future proof your setup for a few years and the amps and speakers can be kept for a long time. In 5 to 7 years, you can upgrade the processor alone and keep everything else. As your system grows, you can add the amps and speakers you want. I have no doubt you will be extremely pleased by the sound. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, bambam841

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by bambam841. info_outline
@Wayne, trying to be patient, just difficult because I want to hear the final product, and to also see if it matches up with the vision that I have in my mind of how good it all will be together. my life could have been much different, but when I was four something awful happened. I'll just say that it started with a kidnapping, and also never had any family since my mom died early. The "incident" just left me feeling very lost, no direction, and not feeling a part of anything or anyone. I have spent a lot of time in catching up on so many levels, including financially. I do not wish for sympathy, just bring it up because it may seem weird to others that I can't just go get everything right now. Anywho, about the center channel idea. My thought process was probably born out of being underwhelmed by what I have heard so far. But I guess it's important to look at the whole picture. I am currently just running the Onkyo TX NR818. While it's not a horrible super cheap receiver it's probably just not up to the task to seriously push the T'5's and the XL together? also hoping for just ULTIMATE music listening. The thought of having a wide front stage of 3 Identical towers with one being horizontal and 2 more for the rears. setting the processor to all channel stereo. WOW it just seems like that would create such an enveloping and immersive listening experience. Now matter how good a center channel is it couldn't possibly compete with a full range tower. Unless you think the addition of the pre/pro and emo amp will bring the XL to that extreme level?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)