file Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)

• bambam841's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 71
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
bambam841 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
I understand there has been much discussion (sometimes arguments lol) regarding different receivers and speakers sounding warm or bright. Some feel that's not the case. Before I bought my T5's I had a pair of polk audio RTI A9's. I would have to say they did have a more bright sound than the Tritons. I sold the entire setup because it looked like I was moving into an apartment, and wouldn't be able to play movies/music with any kind of punch without being a nuisance neighbor. Anyhow back on topic. Even today I read on AVSForum when I was researching Denon AVR X7200WA vs. Marantz SR7010. Should I be concerned that a member there said the Marantz is warm and the Denon is bright. If these statements are true? in my mind I would theorize that getting the Denon would help balance out the equation. If anyone here owns or has auditioned these two receivers with any of the triton models please let me know your thoughts on the sound quality. Also of importance that denon model is 1K more than the Marantz, justifiable ? and do they have about the same to offer in the video processing and upscaling abilities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

@ T Cobe, yes local dealer does carry Anthem. I will set up a demo with them. I didn't think you strayed at all, I am hoping for as much input as possible.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hey Bambam841,
I ran my Triton system on Marantz for a long time, just went to the Emo XMC-1 for the room correction. The Marantz is, IMHO just rich, full and musical sounding, and some people call that WARM. Compared to bright, harsh, super detailed, which is my limited experience with Denon/Onkyo/Integra. It is really about being musical to me.
Just one opinion, but I would go Marantz and save your money for something else.
Have fun with it, God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, bambam841

Wayne, how much did it change your sound (if any) when switching from Marantz to the Emo ?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hi Bambam841,
Wow, that is a good question, and a hard one.
I had the AV7005 pre-processor from Marantz, and went to the Emotiva XMC-1 processor, so I have all outboard amps, we are only comparing the processors and room correction. No amps changed.
Of course, when you commit and buy a new processor or anything, you HOPE it will be a night and day improvement, a BIG upgrade in sound. Well, it was not. I would say the Emo is 10% better sounding, IF I had to put a number on it. Better sounding meaning, a BIT quieter (darker background), a bit better DAC and/signal handling path. Even that might be stretching it, it might not sound that much better at all, maybe I just wanted it to. BUT the biggest difference is in the room correction. I don't like, do not get along well with Audyssey at all. It always made my sound too harsh, bright, edgy, and did not handle bass well either. The DIRAC room correction is well worth the price of admission, and I am surely not getting the best out of it yet.
So I have movies sounding quite a lot better, 20% better? probably not that much.
Really I had a few people offering to buy my Marantz and I have declined to sell it. I could easily go back to it. For two channel listening, there is not much difference I suspect. Really I have decided two channel stereo is just for headphones. I love surround sound and will not even turn on my system for stereo any more.
I hope this helps and for sure, your mileage may vary.
Just some thoughts to answer your very good question.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe, bambam841

T Cobe, they only had the MRX-510 & 710, and after I auditioned the T'5 with the 710 I knew that would be the one I purchase. The salesman also made sure I was aware that they are getting the new 720 & 1120 models. Which have the same specs as the 10's, but now can run Atmos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)