file Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)

• bambam841's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 71
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
bambam841 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Wayne, that probably is the best idea. Stick with the plan of having 4 T'5s, finish getting the upgraded TV, BDP, and 2nd Sub, then see if I even need the atmos section. Which I probably will want. I am making this home theater project my #1 priority. I want to have a dynamite system, even if it kills me lol. Thanks for the update on the oppo. I have been dedicating all my research time to AVR's and pre/pros so far. TV and BDP are next.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 9 months ago
It seems we got there anyway, but just for informational purposes, the feedback you received is correct, the Triton Five cannot be mounted horizontally. The SuperCenter XXL is a sonic equivalent and a perfect match (and its horizontal).

As far as AVRs and pre/pros, in addition to the Anthem AVR products that someone was kind enough to post a video about, they are also introducing an Atmos 11 channel pre/pro AVM 60 at $3000, I believe, at the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, bambam841

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 9 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hey Bambam841,
There are LOTS of ways you can go, and it looks like you are exploring and researching almost all of them. Good for you.
I REALLY prefer the idea of the Triton 5s all around, I think that would make a monster system. To downgrade from that, what about T 7s as surrounds? If not those, then to me the Aons would be the next choice, but have to be mounted some way.
IF later, you want to go ATMOS, I am sure there are others here with an opinion, I don't have one.
4K, UHD TVs, are something you need to do your homework on right now. Make sure that whatever you buy, TV, receiver, DVD player, be sure they can all connect together and play the way you want them to. Right now, Oppo has not even made a 4K player and does not plan to release one this year, perhaps not even next year, so I hear.
So be careful and read up, perhaps even wait a year or two and save up on some of this.
I use a power conditioner because my power here in Thailand can get really inconsistent/dirty/fluctuate. You may not need one where you live, it might help a little bit, but probably not as much as mine helps me. I heard the difference distinctly when I demoed it, with it and without it, with it was a good bit better.
So you need to LISTEN to all the options that you are considering and let your ears decide.
All the best, God Bless,
Wayne

I have a situation where I really can't do towers for side or rear surrounds. I went with four Aon 2 speakers for surrounds and it sounds fantastic. Highly recommended if you're in a situation where you want to preserver floor space. I've also always favored having surrounds mounted above rather than at ear level but that is a matter of preference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, bambam841

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi Imahawki,
I love the Aons and think they would make awesome surrounds and rears. And take up much less space as well.
Good to hear and good comment, thanks!!!!!
Happy listening,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, imahawki, bambam841

• bambam841's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 71
bambam841 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bambam841. info_outline
@Moderator. I am planning to find a buyer for my SC XL, and then buy the XXL. As awesome as an Anthem prepro would probably be, 3K is unfortunately a bit out of my range. It would take me 3-4 more months to save up to buy an Amp. My Onkyo 818 has begun having HDMI problems where audio and/or video just drops out. So my Christmas bonus of around 3k has to be for an all in one package of prepro & Amp, or powerful enough AVR. I am almost 100% set on getting the Marantz AV7702MK2 and Emotiva XPA-5. I still have that little voice in the back of my head that says "hey Rick, just get the Marantz SR6010 or 7010 and then use the saved $$ towards putting away for the 2nd set of Triton5's and hope just an AVR is enough"
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 9 months ago
I'm kind of in the same boat. Need a new AVR and trying to decide how much is enough. After spending what I spent on the speakers I really don't want to "cheap out". Is anyone using a Pioneer Elite receiver?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, bambam841

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)