file Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Bambam841,

Glad the Anthems worked out for you. They are fantastic receivers. I bet it will sound great set up! Keep us posted on your progress, please.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, bambam841

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• itguy61's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 6
itguy61 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
I can tell you from my experience that there will be a huge difference in sound between the Anthem and the mass market brands. i Had a Denon AVR-X4000 and it sounded okay. I could never get the bass right with the Audissey setup. It also sounded just a bit harsh and not that punch in stereo mode. It was complicated too, I could never get the subs playing right in 2 channel audio. I purchased an Anthem 310 and I love it. The ARC room correction software is great and was right the first time. The bass response is so smooth. It sounds much better in stereo mode.

I am running Triton sevens with a super center X. I am using Aon 2's as surrounds and running SVS subwoofers. I am very pleased. I wish the Triton 5's had been out when I bought these but the Sevens sound awesome. Best sound stage and imaging I have heard.

TC
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, bambam841

• bambam841's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 71
bambam841 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
TC, which SVS sub (s) do you have?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bambam841. Reason: I was trying to do a quick reply to one person. failed info_outline
@ Rick, or anybody else with knowledge of Marantz gear. I was close to my final decision being an Anthem AVR. However I have swung back to Marantz. I have a few ideas and need your input. #1 I could just go with the SR 7010. Which I'm confused about after researching. I thought that I read that it has 7 internal amps. Then I was looking at the specs and saw 125 watts w/2 channels driven. If it does in fact have 7 amps wouldn't it remain 125 across all channels? Bottom line question would it be enough to power not just the 3.1 system of T5's and XLR center that I currently have. But also when I get two more T5's for rears, and maybe even Atmos speakers? #2 go with a Marantz NR 1606 which is only 50W X 7, and just get a 5 channel Marantz or Emotiva XPA-5amp for the power. Just using the Marantz as a processor and maybe Atmos speaker power. Would there be a night and day difference in sound between those two setups ? Keeping in mind I don't have much $ and no credit (major open heart surgery and had no medical insurance. And no family my whole life) #1 costs $2,200 #2 $1700 your thoughts please
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago

bambam841 wrote: @ Rick, or anybody else with knowledge of Marantz gear. I was close to my final decision being an Anthem AVR. However I have swung back to Marantz. I have a few ideas and need your input. #1 I could just go with the SR 7010. Which I'm confused about after researching. I thought that I read that it has 7 internal amps. Then I was looking at the specs and saw 125 watts w/2 channels driven. If it does in fact have 7 amps wouldn't it remain 125 across all channels? Bottom line question would it be enough to power not just the 3.1 system of T5's and XLR center that I currently have. But also when I get two more T5's for rears, and maybe even Atmos speakers? #2 go with a Marantz NR 1606 which is only 50W X 7, and just get a 5 channel Marantz or Emotiva XPA-5amp for the power. Just using the Marantz as a processor and maybe Atmos speaker power. Would there be a night and day difference in sound between those two setups ? Keeping in mind I don't have much $ and no credit (major open heart surgery and had no medical insurance. And no family my whole life) #1 costs $2,200 #2 $1700 your thoughts please

Hi, bambam841

RE the Marantz SR 7010, it has 9 amped channels, plus 2 sub pre-outs and 2 more channel pre-outs. Yes, wattage ratings can be confusing. NAD is one of the few that show continuous watts per channel, 20 HZ - 20,000 HZ, all channels driven. What I can tell you is that the Marantz SR 7010 has been, for me, an extremely competent AVR with plenty of power. It is completely unbashful about sending full, rich bass to each channel. The NAD it replaced wasn't as willing to do so. I have an external NAD 2 channel amp driving the fronts, a holdover from when I thought I needed it with the NAD receiver. I'm not so sure I would have made the same decision if I had started with a Marantz SR 70XX. IMHO it has beefy amps that could handle your power needs with all your future additions, with no external amp help and with great sound quality.

Re how SR 7010 sound quality would stack up against using a Marantz NR 1606 with either Marantz or Emotiva external amps (or vs. the Anthem AVR you were considering), I don't have direct experience with the NR 1606 or Anthem vs. the SR 7010. I would venture a guess that all three options would deliver good sound quality, but what would please you most depends a lot on your listening preferences. Any chance you can audition those options?? I doubt you would be disappointed with any of those choices.

Rick

5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, bambam841

Can't say thank you enough (and others here) to help somebody with so little knowledge. That's the truest example of "paying it forward" and in other areas I do the same. I guess one of the largest reasons to employ using separates is to lessen the load by having two components shoulder the load of processing and powering a system VS. One. The other being a percentage (I don't know how much lol) in sound performance. Since I will have to continue working "stupid" hours in order to buy some nice things. That in itself will insure the Marantz will last for quite some time. I can't wait to hear the difference going from this Onkyo to it. It will take some time until I can afford the rears and Atmos speakers, but I'm now confident I will soon have the 1st and most important component to power them. Thank you again, a pleasant evening and happy listening to ALL here at GE forums.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)