file Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Well Bambam841,
You are welcome here and fit in here. And we do NOT look down on anyone who has to save his pennies to buy this great, but somewhat expensive, stuff. Even those well heeled enough here to just buy what they want, money no object, will not put anyone down for having to save. We are all part of the same team here.
Sorry to hear of the VERY rough past you had to endure!!!!
Nobody should have things like that happen to them, or to be alone in this world. We are here and I would recommend a visit to a good church. You will meet some nice people that way, and they should care. Some nice girls are met there too.
Back on subject, 5 speakers all the same, and especially as great as the T 5s are, would be the BEST, SURE!!!!! My only question about that, and the Moderator Dude could answer much better than I, is how that would work to turn it on its side? I REALLY believe your SC XL will fill the bill beautifully when sent a good quality signal and amped correctly. BUT, IF NOT, several guys have the SC XXL and could report, I believe it was made to fill the need to match the big Triton Ones. IF the XL doesn't do it for you, I am sure the XXL would.
Hope this helps and we will hang in there with you waiting to get your Ultimate system.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, bambam841

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 10 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Well Bambam841,
You are welcome here and fit in here. And we do NOT look down on anyone who has to save his pennies to buy this great, but somewhat expensive, stuff. Even those well heeled enough here to just buy what they want, money no object, will not put anyone down for having to save. We are all part of the same team here.
Sorry to hear of the VERY rough past you had to endure!!!!
Nobody should have things like that happen to them, or to be alone in this world. We are here and I would recommend a visit to a good church. You will meet some nice people that way, and they should care. Some nice girls are met there too.
Back on subject, 5 speakers all the same, and especially as great as the T 5s are, would be the BEST, SURE!!!!! My only question about that, and the Moderator Dude could answer much better than I, is how that would work to turn it on its side? I REALLY believe your SC XL will fill the bill beautifully when sent a good quality signal and amped correctly. BUT, IF NOT, several guys have the SC XXL and could report, I believe it was made to fill the need to match the big Triton Ones. IF the XL doesn't do it for you, I am sure the XXL would.
Hope this helps and we will hang in there with you waiting to get your Ultimate system.
God Bless, Wayne

First, thank you Wayne, for your great and thoughtful response!

bambam841, Wayne is 100% right... nobody is judging, we all want the same thing... how can we get to the best audio system we can have at the best cost/benefit trade-off... none of us have all the answers, and we can ALL benefit from sharing what we've learned (and sometimes learned the hard way). AND, the Moderator Dude will help us all if we wander too much to one side of the issue or the other

RE the SCXXL, IT IS FANTASTIC! Re the SCXL, I agree with Wayne.. wait until you hear it with a good source, whether it's pre amp and amp, or receiver. That is not a wimpy center at all.

I wish there where somewhere some simple formula we could all plug into to help us decide how to integrate all the components we needed for great sound systems...but it seems we have to wend our way on our own. Our own tastes in sound play such a big role. Trust your own judgement. Only you can decide what works for you and your budget. Trust your ears.. only they will be listening to what you decide to install. If it pleases YOU, that's what counts.

Happy listening, and please keep chiming in on the forum. You are a valued member! We all learn from each other.

Rick

Your questions/
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Bambam841,

No worries about taking time to build a system and doing so with down to earth prices. Many of us here, including myself, are doing that. There are those that may talk down Emotiva and even GET, for them I say they don't know what they are missing or they are too interested in the label on their gear. The vast majority of the forum members here are great and this isn't usually an issue.

As far as taking time, I have had to do the same and everyone has been patient and supportive. It took me a few months just to save for my Triton towers. Now, I'm saving for the processor. Waiting is difficult but the rewards are sweet! Good things come to those that wait. We are all fortunate to be able to afford and enjoy these speakers: there are many who can't...

Regarding the center channel, the tweeter dispersion on the horizontal T5 would be an issue. It's designed to provide a wider sound stage and rotating it would not work well. The SCXL is better on the Emotiva amps and turned up a dB or two on the receiver setup. My SCXL sounded best when I had it hooked up to an Emptiva XPA-1L. It really transformed the sound for me. I still plan on upgrading to the SCXXL when I have a few more things in order. I have a processor and some surround speakers to figure out.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, bambam841

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
Roman Johnston Posted 8 years 10 months ago
I was not talking about their services, just the gear that was almost exactly the price you mentioned you had. It will be impressive.

Roman
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, bambam841

• bambam841's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 71
bambam841 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Based on the continuing help and recommendations by all the awesome members here. I revised my plan again. Staying with the Marantz pre/pro, emotiva xpa-5, 2 SVS sb-13, XXL super center, do you guys have a recommendation for which of the GE supersats and aon line of speakers I should use for rears, and provided I'm allowed by next landlord to go with it, which ones I should use for (4) for atmos. The money I will have saved on not getting 3 T5's can then be spent on upgrading my BDP to the newer pioneer elite 8th or OPPO 103d. I need to research those to see if either one (or both) have the capability to render UHD, sell my P65VT30, then buy a nice 4G UHD 80 inch TV. That should be a very nice setup? Also I have seen where many people have power conditioners in their systems. What does it actually do, and should I be getting one for what I'm planning? Thanks guys, have a great and safe weekend
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hey Bambam841,
There are LOTS of ways you can go, and it looks like you are exploring and researching almost all of them. Good for you.
I REALLY prefer the idea of the Triton 5s all around, I think that would make a monster system. To downgrade from that, what about T 7s as surrounds? If not those, then to me the Aons would be the next choice, but have to be mounted some way.
IF later, you want to go ATMOS, I am sure there are others here with an opinion, I don't have one.
4K, UHD TVs, are something you need to do your homework on right now. Make sure that whatever you buy, TV, receiver, DVD player, be sure they can all connect together and play the way you want them to. Right now, Oppo has not even made a 4K player and does not plan to release one this year, perhaps not even next year, so I hear.
So be careful and read up, perhaps even wait a year or two and save up on some of this.
I use a power conditioner because my power here in Thailand can get really inconsistent/dirty/fluctuate. You may not need one where you live, it might help a little bit, but probably not as much as mine helps me. I heard the difference distinctly when I demoed it, with it and without it, with it was a good bit better.
So you need to LISTEN to all the options that you are considering and let your ears decide.
All the best, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, bambam841

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)