file Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)

• bambam841's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 71
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
bambam841 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bambam841. info_outline
Rick, somebody once told me that it's not a good idea to have tower speakers with built in subs and to also add an external sub. Saying that it's problematic in getting them to all play together nicely. Considering I know so little I can imagine it would be even more difficult in setting properly. I'm also quite excited to have something sort of rare like the f212. The T1's I'm thinking are a bit more common. From the reviews it seems they will certainly have myself and others saying "those towers are pretty sweet sounding" whereas the JL would illicit " OMG that is RIDICULOUS!! I have plenty of time to audition the T1, and I most certainly need to consider them an option. After the Marantz 7010 (or go seperates?) I will have about 4 months to save the 6K put aside, and to think of which I should pull the trigger on. Again, all input is super appreciated. It's nice to not be alone on important decisions like this. "Life is a game, Home theater and music are serious"
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi Bambam,
I too admire your work ethic, your enthusiasm and determination to have a killer system.
I also agree with Rick. He has great suggestions.
I would get the Triton Ones first, THEN upgrade the SC XL to the XXL and upgrade the sub IF and ONLY IF you are not already satisfied.
Lots of thoughts but you are the one working and saving and have to make the decisions.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, bambam841

Wayne, your kind words mean a great deal, I can just imagine how many people you (and Rick, T Cobe etc..) have helped and befriended here. Obviously it will require an audition, so that I can know for sure. But my initial thought and hesitation is that speakers with built in subs do not have adequate air space within the cabinets? That's just a thought on my part, definitely not implying I know for fact. I have to find a little bit of free time to get over to the Local retailer that has them. Won't be easy with my current situation. Lord am I EXHAUSTED...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Bambam841,
I hear you, those are some REALLY LONG hours you are working!!!!!!
I am sure you are exhausted.
But waiting is not all bad either, you can get your thoughts/plan pretty well formulated ahead of time, BUT leave it open
just in case you hear something when you do audition, there might be a surprise to be found.
You can get some good demo music together, have some listening time with it on your system now, so you will know if you can hear
any REAL improvement on better equipment. Get some with bass, you can imagine how it SHOULD sound, and you will know when you
find it.
I like to use acoustic music and female vocals as I like to THINK I know what that should sound like.
Get some rest, go when you can and keep us informed if you will please.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, bambam841

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Bambam841,

Those are some crazy hours! I hope your job doesn't require you to work in hazardous conditions like working at heights... I have weeks like that on rare occasions but it's only for a week or two tops. I can't imagine doing that schedule for more than a couple of weeks. Hang in there.

I saved up for a while for my T1s, so I can relate there too. Waiting is difficult and it gives you too much time to deliberate and second guess your decisions. I wavered between the T2s and T1s for a long time and finally decided not to compromise. It meant waiting a little longer to save up but I have no regrets. I'd recommend an audition first hand to see for yourself. I think two T1s and an SB-13 would produce an amazing amount of bass. I have my T1s and Paradigm sub turned way down to get the proper calibrated level of bass: well, I'm still 5 dB high but I like a lot of bass.

Don't get me wrong, I've listened to JL subs and they are amazing, but that would be way more than you would need or be able to use. They are also extremely expensive. That's a lot of money to reproduce frequencies below 100 Hz. You would also take a bit of a bath reselling your SVS sub and that would be a difficult pill for me to swallow.

I don't feel setting up powered towers has been too difficult. It actually provides me a great deal of flexibility. I use the speaker level inputs for stereo music reproduction and that provides perfectly balanced, full frequency music. I use the LFE inputs for home theater when I want to ramp up the bass. The dual subs provide great room dispersion and my rear sub provides for 360 degrees of bass. You could accomplish the same with your SB-13.

As far as wowing people with your front end, the T1s will also accomplish that but at all frequencies. Audiophiles that come to my house that have never heard GET speakers are amazed by the sound. Give the T1s an audition next to the T5s and see for yourself. Either way you go will sound great. The T5s with a second SB-13 would sound great as well but then you would have 2 subs versus 3.

Anyway, just more food for thought. You work hard for your money, so audition as many options as you can and pick what sounds best to you. Take my advice with a grain of salt and choose the best course of action for yourself. Your patience and thoughtful decision will pay dividends. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, bambam841

Wayne, I agree. plan to take a few cd's that I know well and of various genres. Plus Blu ray discs Batman the dark Knight (Lower fifth scene), and Avatar (Choppers, Carriers take off & main battle scene) to give the T1's a nice test. When I gave the T5's a listen and bought them I didn't demo the T1 after learning the price. I thought I wasn't going to push myself again after my heart attack and open heart surgery to buy a MONSTER system. But now I am doing it. I decided I owe it to myself to try and fulfill at least one giant wish lol. Yes I will most definitely update after the T1 demo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)