file Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hey Bambam841,
I hope you get a huge Christmas bonus and can buy just what you want/need.
I hope you can audition the different equipment you are deciding between. That will help you know exactly what you
really should buy.
And have fun with it, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, bambam841

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

So my Christmas bonus of around 3k has to be for an all in one package of prepro & Amp, or powerful enough AVR. I am almost 100% set on getting the Marantz AV7702MK2 and Emotiva XPA-5. I still have that little voice in the back of my head that says "hey Rick, just get the Marantz SR6010 or 7010 and then use the saved $$ towards putting away for the 2nd set of Triton5's and hope just an AVR is enough"

Hi, bambam841

AS many have said here, it's worth your time to audition some of your options. There are many choices that could potentially be just what you want. Your ears are the ones that count.

Just for the "whatever it's worth dept.", my NAD stereo amp has been out for the last week or so (trigger issues), and the Maranttz SR 7010 has been doing all the amp heavy duty for 5.1, ATMOS 5.2.2 channel, and also all zone stereo, 9 channels worth. It is completely unintimidated by the load. It pumps all the SQ I want at any volume I want. I wlll add back the NAD amp when it's back from warranty repairs, but I am more than pleased by the Marantz's ability to handle the entire amp load with no sweat.

Lots of AVR choices, lots of of pre/pro choices. It really is up to what works for you and your ears.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe, bambam841

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 9 months ago

bambam841 wrote: hope just an AVR is enough"

No worries, as I think I mentioned before, most GoldenEar HT setups are receiver based. Thanks to the HVFR tweeter and the powered subs (external or internal) the speakers are extremely efficient. Unless your room and/or your taste for volume is very large, a good AVR will do the trick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, bambam841

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 9 months ago

imahawki wrote: Is anyone using a Pioneer Elite receiver?

GoldenEar used a big-ish Pioneer Elite receiver in a trade show demo a couple years ago and it was excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, imahawki, bambam841

• bambam841's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 71
bambam841 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Apologies to all for taking so long to respond, just working a ton of hours. Eighty five a week to be exact, and most of it on the weekends However it has giving me a bunch of time to consider options. Hearing that the Marantz Sr 7010 can provide sufficient power has given me an alternate course again lol. My biggest wish all along was to begin with the most impressive and shocking front sound stage. With that said, the plan now is to go with the 7010, T5 mains, upgrade to the XXL supercenter, and I'm going to initiate world war 3 on my neighbors and get a JL audio F212 :woohoo: :woohoo: . The SVS SB 3 I currently have is more than adequate, but I really want to go bonkers with my front section. I'll concentrate on a second set of T5's for rears, atmos speakers, and external amp later next year. I'm beyond excited about that plan, and already working crazy hours, and setting aside $$ to make it happen. Thanks again to everyone that continues to take time to assist with valuable advice. P.S I will have a XL supercenter, and the SB13 for sale when I get the aforementioned pieces above. To date they have 20-30 hours of total use, and between now and when I have those replacements they will have next to zero use since almost all of my time Will just be working and sleeping when I can. They are in a smoke free, pet free, and child free home. Pristine condition for both. Will accept considerably less than retail, of course. I have original boxes, padding, and paperwork. Local pick up in Tampa is preferred to shipping, but willing to do so if necessary. Happy Turkey day to all this week, may it be safe and enjoyable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago

bambam841 wrote: Apologies to all for taking so long to respond, just working a ton of hours. Eighty five a week to be exact, and most of it on the weekends However it has giving me a bunch of time to consider options. Hearing that the Marantz Sr 7010 can provide sufficient power has given me an alternate course again lol. My biggest wish all along was to begin with the most impressive and shocking front sound stage. With that said, the plan now is to go with the 7010, T5 mains, upgrade to the XXL supercenter, and I'm going to initiate world war 3 on my neighbors and get a JL audio F212 :woohoo: :woohoo: . The SVS SB 3 I currently have is more than adequate, but I really want to go bonkers with my front section. I'll concentrate on a second set of T5's for rears, atmos speakers, and external amp later next year. I'm beyond excited about that plan, and already working crazy hours, and setting aside $$ to make it happen. Thanks again to everyone that continues to take time to assist with valuable advice. P.S I will have a XL supercenter, and the SB13 for sale when I get the aforementioned pieces above. To date they have 20-30 hours of total use, and between now and when I have those replacements they will have next to zero use since almost all of my time Will just be working and sleeping when I can. They are in a smoke free, pet free, and child free home. Pristine condition for both. Will accept considerably less than retail, of course. I have original boxes, padding, and paperwork. Local pick up in Tampa is preferred to shipping, but willing to do so if necessary. Happy Turkey day to all this week, may it be safe and enjoyable.

Hi, bambam841

I really admire your determination to have a "killer front section". A JL Audio F212 would surely add bass in spades, since it's almost a 10X cost differential vs. the SVS sub you now have and gets great reviews.

Just some thoughts on options to consider. Upgrading the fronts to T1's vs. T5's adds a whole bunch of bass for a lot less in differential cost. Consider auditioning the new GEt supersub XXL, also with 12" drivers, at 1/3 the cost of the JL. Sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade. I just really believe you have the opportunity to get all you want for the lowest cost if you can get a chance to audition some of the great options you are considering. I have no doubt you will end up with a great system. Your determination alone is admirable.

Keep at it, and keep us posted!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe, bambam841

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 5 (advice on pre/pro vs. AVR/amp)