• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi GDHAL,

Exciting times! Glad you are launched on the Triton Reference Voyage of Discovery. It would seem that Sandy and company have, once again, come up with a winner with the Reference speakers.

If I were just entering the market today, I would certainly opt for the Reference speakers. As you mention, there seems to be no end to the quest for audio nirvana - nor perhaps should we ever expect there to be an objective end to such a subjective quest.

I have recently configured my array of Triton speakers again, along with my two outboard subs. Now, all of my Tritons (a pair of ones, a pair of sevens and a pair of Supersat 3Cs) are configured in a sort of surround array with the ones in front, the 3Cs high and on the sides, but also in front on my PLP, and the sevens on either side of my PLP at floor level. The two outboard subs are beside the sevens on either side.

Like you, I am using all of my Tritons strictly for two-channel music reproduction. The two outboard subs are shared with my separate multi-channel AV system.

I am finding that the GE speakers play very well together in this array and that listening to my music in my PLP is akin to what I imagine a symphony conductor hears at the podium.

Happy listening and discovery indeed!!!

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
@ArthurDaniels - thank you!

@Timecop - your welcome! To your observations, the photo is rather on target with the arrangement. Trust me when I tell you I've tweaked the position the best I can. Would I like a bigger room, sure! Would the Triton Reference prefer a bigger room, sure! While they are close to the A/V cabinet, note that is a Salamander cabinet and completely open. It is in no way obstructing the passive radiators. Also, take note of the tow angle. Even the closets point is several inches away. Consider the distance to the passive radiator, not the base which adds several inches. Also, moving them further apart from one another brings them closer to the side wall, and that is worse. As to the review lack of detail on the speakers performance, keep in mind I basically just received them. I do intend to append to the review over time. This is one reason I chose to post to my website instead of inline text on this forum. It makes editing more manageable. Moreover, in the case of the performance aspect, I would imagine there will be a series of professional reviews that can better address that. For instance, I did mention in my review that an impedance characteristics curve would be very telling/meaningful. I have no way (at least that I know of) to determine that on my own.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Oh, man!

My Austin TX audio dealer just called. They just got a T Ref pair on the floor for demo's (also delivered a pair).

If I were there and not NH right now, I'd be in the car heading for an audition. :(

I'm drooling thinking about what I'm missing.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 2 months ago

rjohn79395 wrote: Oh, man!

My Austin TX audio dealer just called. They just got a T Ref pair on the floor for demo's (also delivered a pair).

If I were there and not NH right now, I'd be in the car heading for an audition. :(

Rick

And I'm mesmerized and in jubilation over what I’m hearing :woohoo: You caught me between sets so I just checked my email and am responding to your post. Right after writing this, it's right back to listening (instead of writing) :lol:
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• fbreynolds's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 70
fbreynolds Posted 7 years 2 months ago
My dealer also informed me yesterday that my Reference speakers have arrived. Unfortunately, I am going on vacation so they won't be delivered and set up until July 26.

Since I have some time to wait, I will describe my system and let anyone who would like to jump in to give me suggestions for setup, inputs, and tweaks. (If Sandy Gross is reading, consider this my invitation to come down and help me set up "his" equipment!)

5.2.4 setup:
Center GE Supercenter XXL
Fronts GE Triton Reference
Surrounds GE Invisa MPX (in the walls)
Ceiling GE Invisa HTR 7000 (4 in an Atmos arrangement)

Anthem MRX 1120 Receiver
Oppo UDP-203

fred

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 2 months ago

GDHAL wrote:

rjohn79395 wrote: Oh, man!

Rick

And I'm mesmerized and in jubilation over what I’m hearing :woohoo: You caught me between sets so I just checked my email and am responding to your post. Right after writing this, it's right back to listening (instead of writing) :lol:

GDHAL, "mesmerized and in jubilation" resonates with me. I've felt that way with GEt speakers delivering music or movies the way it's supposed to be. It seems coming up with quantitative descriptors for "how do the Ref's sound vs the T1's" is a hard job for those who have heard both. I keep looking for terms that my left analytical brain can relate to, and most descriptions are more gut reaction oriented (that my right brain however loves). And yes I keep asking this "how do they sound vs the T1's" question of anyone who's heard both speakers.

My conversation with the great folks at Audio Systems in Austin is along the same vein.
Me: "How do the Ref's sound vs the T1's, same audio feed (a Prima Luna amp)?
Answer; "More".
Me: OK, more... of what?"
Answer: "More of everything".
Me: "Like more bass, better midrange or treble?"
Answer: "Everything".

Sounds similar, GDHAL, to your phrase "like T1's on steroids"!!!

I'm big on left brain, analytical decisions, and hearing what I may want to buy first, especially big ticket items. But I may well reserve my References before I even get back to TX to audition them. "More, T1's on steroids" kinda' rings my audio bell. I just love it when a familiar, or new, song comes alive, mesmerizes me, does more on great speakers and systems, gives me goosebumps....If Ref's can raise the goosebump factor another level.....

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers