file Suggested Amps for Triton 2 Speakers

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 9 years 10 months ago
My tube amp journey has come to an end. Today, after many months of searching, I've made a decision and have placed my order. Some of the amps I was considering: The PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP ; McIntosh MC 275 ; Rogue Audio M-180's ; Decware Zen TorII MKIV...the winner is The Decware Zen TorII MKIV.

The Zen is for people who want more than to just hear music, they want to float in it. (Love that statement). This amplifier absolutely captures the magic of single-ended triodes, yet it isn't one. Over twenty years in the making, it's out-of-the-box design theory and tedious (hand built) execution give it a sound that simply embarrasses many hi-end amps. This amp is hand made in the USA.

This is a ballsy 25 watt per channel amp, pure class A tube, with no circuit boards and also features a dual mono design with fully independent vacuum tube regulated power supplies. It can be used with or without a preamp. The Zen TorII uses a unique push-pull design that employs only a single capacitor and gain stage to drive the out put tubes. It has the beauty of S.E.T sound with the performance of the very best push-pull.

I've had numerous e-mail correspondence's with Steve ( the head honcho) and he assures me "I will not be disappointed".
He says the build time is down to 4-weeks...this will be a Christmas present to myself, and won't be opened until Christmas day. Also ordered another DSG Studio Grade cable and a Decware silver/Teflon 5 ft. Power Cord.

It's gonna be a GREAT CHRISTMAS.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• monsterzero's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 114
monsterzero Posted 9 years 10 months ago
looks like a beautiful amp,but I have a question,perhaps an ignorant one:

How can a 25w amp push speakers to the same volume as a 100w amp?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Well Good for you and Merry Christmas Bro Anthem!!!!!
Man I am glad you did not go with the Mc MC 275, I had the originals (they are likely better now) and did not love them.
Decware has an awesome website, LOTS of sales going on there. Have you had any opportunity to hear music through this amp? Do they have a return policy IF you don't like it, it doesn't work?
What IF Candy and Mindi still sound rough even with this amp? That is a LOT of money to spend.
And my BIGGEST Question? Which tube set are you going with, the EL34 or the KT66???
I was interested in their graphical VU meter layout that showed the differences in the tubes. It surprised me in several areas, was not my experience with some of those tubes.
Can I suggest that (since I "think" you are trying to find some way to tame the sax sound and make it more sweet) IF Decware gets enough power outta either tube set to play your Triton 2s to the level you want/need to listen at, then I would go with the EL34s as they will be smoother and sweeter IMHO.
Normally I would not recommend the EL34 to most people who like to rock, but for you my friend, I think it just might have been made for your sax problem. It will tone down the bite on your snares and cymbals, etc. but I am sure you are aware of that.
I auditioned the Aon 2s and 3s with a 12 wpc Unisonic Simply Italy (1 EL34 per channel) and what a sweet sound it was, and full ample if not rockin' volume.
To answer your question Monsterzero, the simple answer is NO, a 25wpc amp cannot push to the same volume as 100wpc. Especially IF that 100 wpc amp is conservatively rated. IF a cheap receiver (I know that is not what you are about, bro) is rated at 100 wpc that is probably not at all equal to the output volume of a real 25 wpc tube amp. Tube amps can be pushed to their full output and if they do clip, they will do so rather gracefully, but when a solid state amp starts to clip it can tear up speakers and your ears will hate it too.
This amp should be able to power his T2s to moderate levels in a reasonable sized room. I am not sure they would rock or full power orchestra, but I know you are not going there anyway.
Please remember what I said about microphonics and try to put the amp up high, and/or far enough away from the side sub panels of the towers so the bass will not impinge on the tubes.
Let us know more and we will share your excitement for your Christmas present.
Thanks for being such a great part of this forum buddy, you make it fun/interesting.
God Bless,
Wayne
Merry Christmas
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 10 months ago
How can a 25w amp push speakers to the same volume as a 100w amp? Good question, but I don't believe that's what they are implying. It has to do with the "sound"...the Zen is for people that want more than to just hear music, they want to FLOAT in it. The Zen, coupled with the T2's efficiency, should push the 95 db barrier.

No, I haven't heard this amp.
They have a 30 day return policy. At the time of sale they do require $100.00 which is nonrefundable. They have less than 2% returns.
I've had conversations with Steve Deckert about my tastes/concerns as it regards my saxophone qualms. He says the amp will be shipped with the best output tubes in current production, and he will set it up with hand selected NOS input tubes, which he says serves all types of music...I ordered EL34's.

I am contemplating 2 setup locations...Wayne I'll keep your suggestions in mind.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Thanks for the explanation Bro Anthem. I am sure the EL34s were a good call. For you.
So you can return the amp, but there is like a $100 re-stocking fee in essence?
Will 95 dB do it for you? Loud enough when you are dancin' around the room, barbells flying through the air?
Might work for Cindy and Mindi, but not for the Pink Floyd.
ha ha
I am looking forward to your getting it up and running and your reports. I am surprised that they are only getting 25 wpc out of a push-pull design with these tube choices. And they may be going low to manage this sweet SET sound they say the amp can do.
Will be interesting to see.
Let us know, good listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• dcweber's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
dcweber Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Everyone's input appreciated.

Currently using a Marantz PM7000 amp. Using a Sonos Connect into a Schitt Modi DAC into the Marantz. Using iPad-based Sonos App for management. The Sonos see's my NAS Drive as well. The Sonos Connect is Highly Recoommended!

Sound out of the Triton 2's quite wonderful depending on the recording/dB level, of course. Wonder if I could get more dynamics at higher dB's with a more powerful amp?

Ripping my CD collection to a WD EX2 NAS drive (Raid1).
Any thoughts regarding CD Ripping software/format/bit-rate from experienced people?
Sure as heck don't want to have to do this dirty job twice.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Suggested Amps for Triton 2 Speakers