file I will have my pair of Triton One towers next week. How happy will I be?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Duhhhhh, sorry, I guess you are using the Rega CD player as your source. That should be fine, I don't know it either.
I will try to read better next time.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 6 years 5 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hi Gary, good question.
The TOnes are amazingly revealing, and will shine with the best front end and amplification.
I don't know the Rega Brio, but I read about it and it may well be a little light for really great sound.
I would think an amp with 100-300 wpc would be more like it. Less for tubes, but going solid state I believe the TOnes want more power.
Wayne

Gary, totally agree with Wayne...the Tones like power. I believe that most of the larger amps have a better dynamic range and are better suited for the T-Ones and Reference speakers. I noticed in the two audio stores where I listed to the T-Ones that they used power amps that supplied a minimum of 200 wpc. It was interesting that both were MacIntosh amps.

My Parasound is rated 200 watts/channel and at any reasonable volume level the T-ones sounded terrific.

Del
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 5 months ago

gmwinder wrote:
So I have about 50 hours on the T1's...

Now I'm wondering whether I have a good enough amp to drive these things. I have the Rega Brio with the Rega Apollo R CD player. It sounds great but the amp was $995 and the speakers were $5000. Any suggestions? Or stick with the Brio?

Hi gmwinder,

As Wayne pointed out, more power would be better. I see that the Brio is a 50Wpc (8 ohms), but only 73 Wpc into 4 ohm. I get concerned when I don't see such a low power amp doubling power into half the impedance. I is quite possible that this amp will run out of steam driving the T1s, unless you listen at very low levels. I think you'll hear a difference with more power. I use 300 Wpc (not that you have to go that high). If you can audition a bigger amp, you should hear a difference.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• gmwinder's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 86
gmwinder Posted 6 years 5 months ago
As I suspected, I think I need more power for these babies....right now they are about 12 feet apart and then I sit 12 from each of them. And in my listening room that's about where they can go. I've cranked the volume on the amp to 50% and that is too loud for my room but it sounds like it's straining the speakers.

Any suggestions for something in the $2000 range?

Thanks

Gary
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Have a look at the Emotiva XPA Gen-3 series. 300 wpc driving 2 channels for $999, and they are modular up to 11 channels for $1999
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Yes, Gary, agreed.
When you crank the music, if the speakers sound strained, it is NOT the speakers that are straining, it is your amp. It is a little under powered in my opinion.
There will be tons of opinions for you to consider in the $2000 range. Remember opinions are like ***holes, everybody has got one.
Me too, I would say don't forget to look at the used market, something like on Audiogon, as there are some great amps available there at good discount prices. And there are the new highly touted Hypex NC 500 NCore amps that Bro Rick has (his are ATI brand) and others, these get rave reviews, and can be bought here for a much better price, custom made to your specs, but they look rather plain jane: www.facebook.com/BellissimoAudio/

I hope you find what you want/need.
Happy listening, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System I will have my pair of Triton One towers next week. How happy will I be?