file I will have my pair of Triton One towers next week. How happy will I be?

• gmwinder's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 86
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
gmwinder Posted 6 years 4 months ago
I was a professional clarinetist earlier in my career and then moved into instrument sales....still play a little for fun but listening is so much easier:) Mainly classical but fell in love with Stan Getz so I have a lot of his albums and CDs
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's their entry level cable....and they were still $500! But I could really hear the difference. Probably going to upgrade these now I have the T1's...just not sure what just yet....my dealer is big on Nordost and he has the complete range so he is going to bring his kit to find which ones sound best. I'll keep you posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch, HTSME

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Hey Gary, Wow, a clarinetist??? Professional???? That means people paid you to play the clarinet????? AMAZING!!!!!
I have paid kids NOT to play the clarinet!!!! Just kidding but it is a VERY challenging instrument to play well and musically.
Glad to have a musician here to help us with sounds. I too love classical music, though I cannot claim to understand it very well.
It is kinda like that painting of Elvis on black velvet, I don't know much about art, but I know what I like!!!! ha ha
And thanks for the cable info.
Happy listening, and chime in here any time we need help.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HTSME

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 4 months ago

gmwinder wrote: ....my dealer is big on Nordost and he has the complete range so he is going to bring his kit to find which ones sound best. I'll keep you posted.

gmwinder,

Welcome to the wonderful world of cables!

I have been through several upgrades of both interconnects and speaker cables (using both TOnes and TRefs), and I have heard differences (and improvements) at every step. My only word of caution...it can take quite some time for some cables to break in, and the sound will change during this process. That has been true for all the premium cables I have used (three kinds of Morrow Audio and the Audience cables I use now). Break in has produced some amazing changes -- and shrill horrors -- at around 20 hours, and It has usually taken around 40 hours to get through the worst of the break in process. I have heard continuing improvement well beyond that. For me, the last stage is the revelation of ultra-fine detail.

I have found that the type of construction also has an influence on how severe/long the break in process is. I have not used Nordost, so I can't say how they behave.

So, bottom line is, if Nordost cables have similar behavior, you may not be able to judge the final sound with a quick substitution. You may get an idea, but until they break in, you won't experience the final sound.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

Thanks for that insight Charlie on the cables. I'll let you know what I end up doing...personally everything sounds pretty good right now but my guy claims he can make it better:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch, HTSME

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 6 years 4 months ago

charliehatch wrote:

gmwinder wrote: ....my dealer is big on Nordost and he has the complete range so he is going to bring his kit to find which ones sound best. I'll keep you posted.

gmwinder,

Welcome to the wonderful world of cables!

I have been through several upgrades of both interconnects and speaker cables (using both TOnes and TRefs), and I have heard differences (and improvements) at every step. My only word of caution...it can take quite some time for some cables to break in, and the sound will change during this process. That has been true for all the premium cables I have used (three kinds of Morrow Audio and the Audience cables I use now). Break in has produced some amazing changes -- and shrill horrors -- at around 20 hours, and It has usually taken around 40 hours to get through the worst of the break in process. I have heard continuing improvement well beyond that. For me, the last stage is the revelation of ultra-fine detail.

I have found that the type of construction also has an influence on how severe/long the break in process is. I have not used Nordost, so I can't say how they behave.

So, bottom line is, if Nordost cables have similar behavior, you may not be able to judge the final sound with a quick substitution. You may get an idea, but until they break in, you won't experience the final sound.

Charlie

Great tip Charlie about cables also needing break in time. Many many years ago there was a dealer that would let you take a set of speaker cables or RCA jacks to your house for a weekend listen. At the time I though it was strange that they had run over 100 hours on the cables before letting them out of the store for use. According to the salesman I was working with over 2/3rds of the customers would upgrade to more expensive speaker cables.

Great tip on the break in.
Del
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System I will have my pair of Triton One towers next week. How happy will I be?