file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 6 months ago
STILL way behind catching up on posts.

I decided to play all four Brahms symphonies again before commenting (re "Brahms, the Complete Symphonies", Christian Thielmann conducting).

My first impression, ranking most liked, was 1st first, followed by 4th, 3rd, 2nd. Why? 1st and 4th had some of the most beautiful pasages. 2nd seemed a little "darker". ALL have just amazing blending of strings, winds, percussion.

On second listening, the grouping got even tighter. I find that, when I listen to classical music, I have to give it full attention. I can listen to pop as background, but classical demands my full attention, or it just doesn't do anything for me. But when I DO pay attention, it can be absolutely mesmerizing.

The recordings are first class, both PQ and SQ. The camera moves to the instruments being in the forefront, it always follows where the music is leading. I love the way Brahms used the different instruments, some in the forefront, then others, always so perfectly blended... sometimes violins played hauntingly beautiful passages while bass or double bass was plucked, or flutes or oboes added such a surreal effect. How could a composer back then, without synthesizers, imagine, in his head, how all this would sound together????? Well, he did!

I can't begin to judge these four symphonies vs Mariss Janson's conducting of Beethoven's nine symphonies. All Ican say is both sets of recordings are among the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. Good stuff? Heck, yes!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Thanks for this Bro Rick!!!!
My ratings would not be the same order, but no matter, I am SOOOO VERY happy you enjoyed these like I have.
And you are soooooo right, I too have to concentrate, actively listen to symphonies, or most all classical works. To get the most out of it anyway.
On your system, do you get what I am talking about that BIG BASS, DEEP GERMAN WARM SOUND????? Maybe I have too much bass? Ha ha, that was a joke, there is NO WAY!!!!!
I really enjoyed your comments about how Brahms uses the different instruments, and I too am awestruck how those guys could just hear it in their heads, picture, imagine, dream of what this would all sound like when played together!!!! There is a reason that the 3 Bs, Bach, Beethoven and Brahms are historically viewed as some of the best if not the best musicians of all time!!!
Did you listen yet to the conductor's comments on the music? Did it help you? Did me.
I too do not want to try and compare the Beethoven set with the Brahms set. But I am thrilled that you also found them first rate sonically and visually. I had not doubt.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

WayneWilmeth wrote: Bro Rick

On your system, do you get what I am talking about that BIG BASS, DEEP GERMAN WARM SOUND?????

Did you listen yet to the conductor's comments on the music? Did it help you? Did me.

Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne

Hey, Bro Wayne

I DO like the sound!! The terms that come to mind are warm and RICH. The bass seems rich and deep, but never over done or out of place. With several rows of bass and double bass playing, plus drums, it's no wonder there's a deep bass richness! :)

I listened to Thielemann's comments after playing through all symphonies twice (I did read the pamphlets first). My appreciation grew for the critical role a conductor plays in interpreting and deciding HOW to play a piece. He spoke so articulately about so many facets of the impressions he wanted to convey in the various movements, as though the pieces were indelibly imprinted in his brain! And, like Claudio Abbado also did, conducts without a score in front of him. They seem to ingest music at such a fundamental level, not as millions of notes for scores of instruments, but as integrated wholes that just flow from their brains. I'm sure the same is true for the great composers who wrote the pieces!

I seem to hear new nuances when re listening. Will no doubt revisit these pieces in the future.

Happy listening and watching!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I know, right????
Yes, thanks Bro Rick to confirm exactly what I was hearing and thinking.
The sound is to die for!!!!
These conductors are incredible musicians in their own right!
So very glad you are getting that too!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: spoiler deleted info_outline
Two outta three ain't bad.
A few nights ago we watched and regretted "To Do List", raunchy and not recommended.

Then tonight we watched "Monster Calls" a Spanish film I think, well done, moving, artistic, etc. The PQ was pretty good SQ was OK, nothing reference in either case. Weird story, well told, again, artistic comes to mind. Some of the animation was incredibly well done water color style. Never saw that before. I just don't get talking trees whether in this one or Gaurdians of the carrotpatch.
Recommended sorta touching entertainment.

And I watched "Don't Breathe" after everyone went to bed. Doubt they slept though as the bass in this puppy shook the house!!!! A LOT of this film was about sound, and bass rumble or jump out at you loud music were used to great effect and then it got old.
It was a good thriller after all, slow starting because there were no likable characters. PQ was not that great, dark and all, SQ rocked the place. Nothing reference unless you don't have any meaningful bass to demo for folks.
Recommended for the excitement.
YMMV on all three of these, I have some winners coming soon I hope.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
OK, here goes.

I played the Blu-ray "Les Miserables", the movie version of the long running Broadway play. We saw the show on Broadway years ago, and loved it. My favorite musical of all time. I don't particularly like "fluff" musicals, but this has some of my favorite music, and is about the French Revolution. Not fluff stuff.

The play on Broadway was spectacular, with gorgeous voices in all the roles throughout. NOBODY IMHO can compete with the performance Colm Wilkerson did as Jean Valdjean, the lead character, on Broadway. (Hugh Jackman plays the role in the film.) The film does haves a more expansive scene set.

I suspect this a love/hate film. If you loved the play, you may not (or may) like how the movie portrays this.

This is probably more a shout-out to GEt speakers than necessarily a recommendation for the movie. The sound on Broadway was immersive, great. The sound from the movie as I heard it in the theater was (OK???). Not the MOVING sound I had heard live at the play.

What I heard at home on the GEt's was TOTALLY different from the movie theater experience. First, virtually all the solo songs were presented on the center channel, and the Supercenter caught every note, every nuance, plus played every horses hoof hitting the street, every sword being drawn, every musket shot so real and perfect.. and when the other eight GEt channels came in with the choruses, cannon, street noises, crowd sounds... now THAT was the same kind of audio extravaganza as the play provided! MOVING to say the least!!!

I don't know how anyone else will react to the Blu-ray version of this play. YMMV. But for me, I LOVE the play itself, and the GEt's brought me back to Broadway!! Yes, different cast of characters, different talents, but the GEt SOUND EXPERIENCE brought me back to the live play! If you want to experience what GEt's can do to bring a Blu-ray's sound, and music, to life, you may want to give this one a try.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?