file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Hey Bro Rick,
Great idea, I was tempted by that one too. Pls let us know how it is?
This is great sharing good music!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline

Nocturnal Animals is what I would call a disturbing, psychological revenge thriller. Right from the opening scene, I was uncomfortable. From the depressing life of the actual movie characters, to the depiction of a graphic novel that accompanies the main story and serves as a metaphor, this was a dark film! Once again, if the purpose of art is to elicit an emotional response, this film was certainly a powerful piece by Tom Ford.

On the technical side, the PQ was great! 4.5 /5! It had every base covered. SQ was also good but there wasn't a lot happening in this one with the sound. It supported the story and blended seamlessly without drawing attention to itself. 4/5.

With the powerful story and lifelike picture and sound, I was pulled deep into this one. This is a complicated film. There is a lot going on that isn't immediately evident. If you're like me, it may take a bit to digest. There are some YouTube videos that explain the film and the ending, which seem a bit anticlimactic after such an intense film. Would I recommend this? I guess that really depends. It is certainly not a family film, nor a good one to watch with your significant other. It is DARK and DISTURBING. If you can get over that, there is a point to it all and once you figure out what just happened, it's a fairly brilliant work of cinematic art. Just a warning, the opening credits are filled with gratuitous nudity that you will likely want to skip, but if you watch the ending explained, Tom Ford explains the rationale for this as well.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Interesting Bro T.
I will have to get that one, probably be another one that is too deep for me.

I had a friend over and we just watched "Deepwater Horizon" again. This is my 3rd viewing and it just keeps getting better every time I watch it. Especially seeing the film through my friend's eyes. And sitting back and listening to the surround channels, this is a DEMO disc for DTS 5.1
There is so much falling apart, blowing up and generally going to heck around the listener via the surround channels, it is incredible. Steel bending and then finally breaking, etc.
Some of the best use of the surround channels for an extended period of time (not just a momentary one of), probably the best I have ever experienced.
Just sayin'
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I watched both Mumford and Sons Blu-rays I just got in the last several days, "Live from South Africa, Dust and Thunder", and "The Road to Red Rocks".

I watched "Live from South Africa" first. Loved it, recommend it. Great SQ. And the bass!!! Amazing camera work catching the band/audience connection.

Then I watched "The Road to Red Rocks", already reviewed by Wayne, and I completely agree with his comments. Really good stuff! "The Road" has more local scene shots, less total music content. Both have great/similar SQ. Both are worth having if you're a Mumford and Sons fan. Both are, IMO, far more impressive/enjoyable/dynamic than any CD version of their music I have ever heard.

If I had to choose just one, I lean toward "Live from South Africa" a tad. More music content, fantastic band/audience connection. Both were riveting, highly recommended.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Doggoneit Bro Rick!!!!
Now the shoe is on the other foot, now you made me order one!!!!
OK, ordered from Amazon. Don't hold your breath for my comments, it will take at least a month or more to get to me. But I am excited to hear it after your glowing recommendation.
This, BTW IS Rock and Roll, and I like it!!!!!
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Steve Hackett, "The Total Experience Live in Liverpool" blu-ray.
Well, do you like the old progressive rock? This is it. Steve Hackett is still a master guitarist, though aging well, he can play that guitar!!! And he is joined by some more really great musicians.
The PQ is a little dark, it is a smallish venue, the SQ is really pretty good. He plays his old stuff, then the even older Genesis stuff.
I used to like his music pretty well, not a huge fan. Thought it might be worth revisiting.
For me, it was a disappointment. I had just watched Mumford and Sons in concert and then this, so it was a big let down to me.
Recommended if you are a big fan. Guess I am not.
Whatever blows up your skirt,
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?