file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Let me give another shout out to 2L!!!!!
WOW!!!!!!
I just rec'd and listened to "Magnificat" by Arnesen. That is 3/4 of this disc, there is a lovely 12 min section by Kernis and 2 shorter pieces by Ola Gjeilo with chorus adding to his fantastic piano work. All is uplifting, life-affirming and just simply wonderous music!!!
The glorious work here though is the heavenly (angelic sounding) choral with organ and orchestra "Magnificat".
There are two discs, audio only. The first is blu-ray HI-REZ indeed, but the stereo and 5.1 music options are downsampled to 24 bit, 192 kHz. The 3rd option is 9.1 Auro 3D at 24 bit, 96 KHz. WOW!!!!! Of course I listened in 5.1 surround. The second disc is a hybrid SACD where you can listen in DSD HI-REZ surround sound, or in POS (for ripping to a portable device).
The voices are as I said, heavenly, angelic, soaring and are laid on the bass of deep organ rumbles, full orchestral backgrounds all of which will test your system!!!!! At reasonable levels the bass shook things in my room (not meant to shake).
My only quibbles are 3, I am not really a fan of the pure soprano voice in the magnificat, as appropriate as it is and surely I am the only one who does not really care for that. And the case should be a blu-ray case IMHO since this is a blu-ray and the jewel case just does not fit in the library with the blu-ray concerts. This is the 3rd or 4th such case and they are hard to find as they get mixed in with the other SACDs, CDs.
And lastly, I love to watch performers at their astonishing work. I miss the visual aspect in these audio only discs!!!!! REALLY miss the visual. I love the resolution and quantity of music I can get on a well recorded blu-ray, just want to watch too.
Another HIGHLY RECOMMENDED offering from 2L. Most musical and professional at the highest level! But be warned, this aint what they call Rock and Roll!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Wayne,

I'm glad your shipments have finally started coming in. I certainly take Two day shipping from Prime for granted. I have a few albums that I recently ordered that won't be here for 4-6 weeks and it's getting my dander up. I can't imagine that being the norm and best case scenario. I hope you have a lot of goods to tide you over until the next shipment.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Bro T. they are coming in by drips and drabs.
Did I mention my sports shoes fell apart, so I had to walk in sandals for the past 2 months waiting for new shoes to arrive from Amazon? Course it was a crap shoot buying shoes online, I never know if they will fit. But sandals don't work well, picking up rocks and slipping all the time, so when the shoes finally got here there were gonna fit, you know what I mean???? Fortunately they do.
But many more music discs are coming, can't wait. You know me, I will report when I get them and get to listen.
Tacos tonight, that is just a fancy way to eat salad right? Had to make the chili powder and then the taco seasoning from scratch tough. Such is the fun of living out in the world's boonies!!! Fortunately 4 hrs drive from here we can usually find taco shells, yeah!
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline

I would label Arrival as a cerebral science fiction film. It was more of an artsy drama than your typical action oriented sci-fi film. The story was interesting and it kept my attention the whole way through. 4/5 for the film itself.

PQ was just okay. This was a dark film from start to finish. As such, there wasn't a lot of pop or contrast in the picture and colors were likewise muted. Shadow detail was decent and there wasn't a terrible amount of grain, thankfully. The picture was reasonably detailed and free of any distracting flaws. 4/5 for picture quality.

SQ was pretty good! There was a considerable amount of LFE and dialogue was very good. Due to the lack of action, this may not be a demo quality film. There wasn't very much going on in the surround channels, but what was there supported the film and I never found myself looking for more. 4.5/5 for SQ.

If you're into cerebral science fiction movies, this is an easy recommendation. It presented a bit of a different take on first contact with alien life. It was well written and received first rate treatment from the cast and production crew. While not as far out and complicated as Interstellar, it is along those lines.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Great review Bro. T. spot on, well said!!!!!
I saw "Arrival" in the theater and enjoyed it. Not wild about it, but VASTLY better than most of the rubbish that parades around as Sci-Fi these days.
Based on your review I will buy it on disc to watch again.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 7 months ago
I enjoyed this movie as well, nice review, but I've got to say though, there was some serious bass energy in this thing. The "considerable amount" of LFE was absolutely room wrecking. Fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?