file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 7 years 7 months ago

The new releases have been a bit sparse lately. I have a few coming soon that I have been anxious to see like The Arrival. In the meantime, I'm watching titles like this one.

How would I sum up Jack Reacher: Never Go Back? Average! Across the board, this one gets 3.5/5.

Sound was not very dynamic and there wasn't much in terms of LFE despite all the action. Surround channels seemed moderately engaged despite this being an oddest based Atmos mix.

The picture was also quite average. There was not a lot of punch to the color, contrast was a bit weak in many scenes, and the picture was not all that sharp/detailed. There were times it was very similar to watching a title on demand from Netflix; maybe worse.

He story was in-line with the technical aspects of this film. It was just sort of lackluster. The cast all did a reasonable job and I do enjoy looking at Cobie Smulders, but they couldn't save a somewhat boring storyline. This could very well have been a film made directly for broadcast television. So, if you're bored and have watched everything on your watch list and just need something to tide you over, this will fill time. Let's call it a lackluster recommendation. ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Thanks Bro T.
I have been looking for and not finding this one.
I will be in less of a hurry now, but will probably watch it, I really liked the first one.
Did you?
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

WayneWilmeth wrote: Thanks Bro T.
I have been looking for and not finding this one.
I will be in less of a hurry now, but will probably watch it, I really liked the first one.
Did you?
God Bless,
Wayne

Wayne,

I liked the first one as well and that led to this purchase. IMO, the first film was significantly better. YMMV.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My ship has come in!!! My er Amazon shipment that is!!
One of them. The one with walking shoes, since the demise of my other sport shoes, I have been trying to walk 2.5 miles a day in sandals. NOT comfortable, pick up rocks and stuff, and not a good solid footing. FINALLY got what I ordered mid Jan.
Including a 2L blu-ray audio only disc, "Piano Improvisations" by Ola Gjeilo. This was rated 5 star on Amazon, is recorded in stereo and in 5.1 REALLY Hi Rez, but plays back in DTS HD 24 bit 192 kHz. There is also a hybrid SACD included. Nice touch (can be ripped to listen while walking).
Just listening to it now, so early impressions. The sound is very relaxed, natural, open, warm. It just flows. Similar to, VERY similar to Keith Jarrett improvisations.
But the sound here is a little warmer, it sounds like the mic is at the piano as opposed to being inside the piano. There is not a your head is stuck in the piano feeling like I always got with George Winston's recordings.
Still, the highest keys ring true, all of them do, to what a real grand piano sounds like.
There is a lovely booklet with these discs, I will have to see what piano it is, but most likely a Steinway or Bosendorfer.
It is NOT a remarkable piano sound, it is just very normal and natural sounding.
So far none of the songs are blazing speed, knock your socks off stuff either. Just very musical and lovely, relaxing (said that twice now).
I read there are some overdubbed bits where he plays 2 or three parts. Have not heard or caught that yet. Oh, yeah, here it is, lovely.
I am thinking this is great music to put on during a romantic candlelight dinner with the MRS. You can still talk and think with this one.
Lovely, not WOW music. I can see this one growing on me.
RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I finally got around to watching Deepwater Horizon. Enough has probably been said about this one and I think everything has been spot on. 4.5/5 for SQ, 4/5 for PQ, and a surprising 4/5 for the film itself. I was not excited about the cast on this one as Wahlberg isn't a great actor and I really don't care for Kate Hudson, but the other leads and supporting cast were good. Kurt Russell and John Malkovich were pretty good. I got a real kick out of Malkovich's Cajun accent!

Next up I have The Arrival and Inferno. I hope to get to both this weekend. Hacksaw Ridge and Nocturnal Animals are on the way next week.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Man, Bro T.
I had to go back 13 pages here to find your original review of "Suicide Squad". I just watched it tonight, that is how far behind I am!!!! And my "Deepwater Horizon" is still in the mail.
You warned of a lackluster Sucide Squad theatrical version, and that is all I got, did not see any Extended version. I agree completely about the version we saw, I could not follow the story, nor the characters, and except for the little girl lending a BIT of humanity to one hero, could not find any reason to cheer for anything or anybody in this movie. DREARY!!!!
But you never mention 3D, so I will add this. It is fake and pretty much looked like it. The pic was quite dark. You said you could see this having some demo power, so obviously I need to go back and check it out in English and possibly in 2D and see what I missed. The only saving grace in this movie to me was Margot Robbie wiggling her behind at the camera a couple of times.
In the interest of fair reporting though, my wife and daughter said they liked it well enough. Go Figure.
God bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?