file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Yes, Bro T. as Bro Rick said, gotta keep warm.
Though you could come over here, we were at 99 today and supposed to be over 100 next week. The garden is providing veggies and fruit!
You are welcome.
Anyway, thanks for the update. Do you ever watch in 3D? I love it on a well done movie.
I suspect one of these days I will have to break down and get a new Oppo, my 95 is long in the tooth, sometimes has glitches. But only if I can get a region free one over here. Though Thailand and America are in the same blu-ray region that doesn't mean do do, NONE of the movies I can get from Amazon have ANY THAI!!!! So I have to get most movies over here. Oh well.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Wayne,

I do watch 3D movies, but since you pointed out the real or fake 3D website, I usually go for the real 3D movies versus the fakes. The Martian was probably the best I have seen to date. The 3D inthat one was outstanding!

Sounds like an upgrade may be in order. Do you plan to stick with Oppo? If all your gear is in one spot, the 205 may be a good option, even if you do not intend to use the 4K.

So when you buy films, I've often wondered if they are the same versions as those of us stateside. There have been films that I thought were pretty good from a technical standpoint that you were not impressed by. I've been wondering if you're watching a different version of the discs.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 6 months ago
www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

Here you go, Wayne! Looks like next month.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Thanks Bro T.
My main gear is all in one spot, and my Oppo 95 is my main disc spinner, mostly because it is pretty darn good and plays all the different kinds of discs I need it to. I do have a tubed CD player but that only plays POS. And, honestly, all snake oil aside, I can barely hear any difference between it and the Oppo, just a touch more refined sound, a shade warmer and more musical highs. But it RARELY gets play time, I just don't listen to POS except when walking, using the ciems.
So yeah, IF and when (not likely April) I have to buy a new disc player it will probably be the Oppo 205. I am heavily invested in SACDs, DVD-Audios and Blu-rays of all regions.
I buy blu-rays from Amazon when I can, especially concerts and Blu-ray audio which is unavailable over here. But that is frustrating. I ordered a Cosby, Stills, Nash blu-ray back in Feb 17, they just today asked if I wanted to cancel that order or wait until April 15 for them to ship it??????
And my wife and daughter cannot enjoy movies if they have to read subtitles (they rarely will if I really ask them to) so I have to get movies locally to have them in Thai and English. Some are really fine quality, some mediocre and some really suck, seem to be bad knock off copies that are only fit for the trash--like you will get if you buy them on the roadside in Bangkok.
It is a mixed bag, but most times I think I get pretty decent copies, versions of the blu-rays (which is all I buy, I don't buy dvds) and some are even said to be Ultra HD. But they play on my Oppo and TV, who knows????
Hope this answers your questions.
OH, but I save money over here, don't have a furnace at all!!!! Only A/Cs.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Did anybody review "Doctor Strange" yet?
I did not find it if you did, sorry.
We watched it tonight. We did not get the 3D version, perhaps we should have, there is a TON of CGI that MIGHT have been interesting looking in 3D. Personally I find over done CGI BORING!!!!!
The movie was a dud to me. Mildly entertaining. But I am not a comic book fan, never heard of half of these, the Dr included.
PQ was pretty good, see comments above.
SQ was all over the place, some GREAT use of the surrounds, perhaps someone might even find it reference quality. I may go back and listen with the English soundtrack in 7.1 as I think it might be great.
But IF I do, I am sure I will not watch the whole dang thing again, just spot check it for you guys.
Whatever happened to just good ole stories set in real locations with real people?????
This was all flash! The story was ridiculous at best.
YMMV.
Very limited recommendation for those who are fans of this genre. For me, no.
It is flashy though, so some of you may love it.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Two tonight.
You know how I am always finding the next most wonderful, you gotta listen to the music on this blu-ray? Well, this is not it!!!
The Schubert Connection was not rated on Amazon, but it is blu-ray music by 2L. What's not to love? Right? Wrong.
This puppy sounds screechy, etched, the highest treble notes at high volume (there are a LOT of these) exhibit what sounds like the old, early DDD recorded CDs, the digital glare problem.
But wait, there is a hybrid SACD that comes with, for recording for exercising. Listening to it now and it sounds the SAME.
NOT RECOMMENDED. Which shocks and saddens me, the performance is wonderful, music is great, this should be a winner but is NOT.
God bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?