file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
New releases have been a bit sparse as of late. Most not worth writing about. I share Wayne's opinions on Black Hat. It was a bit lack luster and abstract for me. I was never really drawn in to the characters. The dialogue was poorly developed and the cinematography was a bit odd for me. Felt a bit like an anime film but with live actors.

I just watched The Gunman with Sean Penn and Javier Barden, amongst others, on Friday. It was a decent film with a good cast. Since I watched it "on demand" it is difficult to judge PQ and SQ. Cinematography and acting were good but I found the story a bit lacking.

Again, the characters were not all that well developed and I had a bit of a sense that Sean Penn really has a high opinion of himself. Felt aittle like Kevin Costner in Waterworld or Dances With Wolves. Some actors seem to get to a point in their careers when they feel like they are an icon and are larger than the role and movie they are performing in. I'm not saying that either Penn or Costner are bad actors, they do quite well; however, I get a sense of an inflated sense of self from both. I don't get the same feeling from other actors, such as Tom Hanks, even when he carries the whole story like in Castaway. Maybe I'm alone on this one...

Anyway, the movie was entertaining and I would recommend it if you're like
Me and finding the new releases a bit slow in coming...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Thanks T Cobe,
I do agree with you about some actors getting the "big head". You stated it better than that.
And I agree that Tom Hanks never is like that, one of the reasons he is so great. And others are not.
Yeah, not too many good movies coming out these days it seems. I keep looking and will report what I find.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Rob138's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 47
Rob138 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
You guys should really check out Lucy. Pleasantly surprised by this one. I don't think I've ever heard a movie with as deep of bass as this one has at some parts. I still have my small Klipsch system so I'm really looking forward to hearing it on a fully surround GTE system!

Lucy Official Trailer #1 (2014) - Scarlett Johansson Movie HD
Triton One Front L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Invisa MPX Surrounds
Marantz SR5010 7.2 Receiver
Sony KDL-46XBR4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Rob,

Lucy was a fun movie. I always enjoy Scarlet. As far as bass goes, my favorite subwoofer tests are Star Trek: Darkness Falls and Godzilla 2014. The first scene in Star Trek has some wicked low bass with the volcananic activity as the eruption nears and Spock attempts to halt the impending doom. At one point, I can feel the bass more than hear it with my T1s. Godzilla 2014 is a bass monster! There are several scenes. My favorite may be the scene where the train is attacked by the MUTO. When the MUTO walks under the train bridge with the two servicemen hiding above, you get some real gut wrenching bass.

Where are you at with your GET purchase? Made any progress yet? Decide on your models and when you'll be moving forward? It had been a few days since I had the chance to sit in my theater but I had some down time this morning and finally had the chance to watch a few shows. After seeing The Gift this weekend, I am still much happier with my GET setup. My local Cineplex is loud but the quality of sound is inferior by far! I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Rob138

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
LUCY, definitely a good one!!!!
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob138

• Rob138's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 47
Rob138 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
T Cobe,

It's still up in the air as far as what equipment I will end up purchasing first. I'm leaning towards getting the T1s first instead of the SS60s as you guys have highly recommended, but I'm still battling the WAF. I would like to schedule a time to audition the two systems at the dealer and maybe get an at-home demo. I've seen you guys talking about that possibility. Also, I'm still deciding on a receiver since I don't want to spend $2,000 on a receiver when I will be replacing it next year with all of the industry changes (Atmos, DTS:X, HDCP, etc). I was looking at the Yamaha Aventage RX-A850, but I still haven't finalized that decision. Any input on the Aventage line?

Not trying to hijack this thread at all, just answering T Cobe's questions. :)
Triton One Front L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Invisa MPX Surrounds
Marantz SR5010 7.2 Receiver
Sony KDL-46XBR4
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?