file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: forgot the pic info_outline
Alrighty then,
Tonight it was a mix of previous films in that I watched "Jessabelle".
You got your Belle and you got your Amber Stevens too.
This is a scary movie from the get go.
PQ is good, SQ comes by way of a DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack which was not remarkable.
This has a good bit of whodo Voodoo.
I guess it was sorta entertaining as a bit of a mystery and horror film. OK, not recommended but I have seen MUCH worse.
I hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OK all you guys and girls who sit around are watch re-runs of I LOVE LUCY all the time!!!!
I am watching and listening to BLU-RAYS!!!!!!
I found a most amazing concert on BR, amazing because the greatness is unexpected.
It is the "Herbert Von Karajan Memorial Concert" with the Berliner Philharmoniker (OF COURSE) conducted by Seiji Ozawa. And starring the awesome Anne-Sophie Mutter in violin solo on the Beethoven Concerto and Bach Partita. This is wonderful stuff, she is awesome as is the music. BUT the real treat here that really surprised me is the Tchaikovsky Sym. #6 in B minor, the "Pathetique".
OK, PQ was stellar, too much so. The Concertmaster, first violin, is wearing a wig, not a bad wig, but just bad enough to take attention away from both Ms Mutter and the music.
The sound, well SQ comes via DTS-HD MA 5.1 or PCM 5.1 (depending on which disc you get) as well as PCM stereo. Somehow, I got the German one from Amazon which had PCM 5.1. I hate to say, but is sounded great, probably I would not hear any difference between that and the DTS?
I read a review where someone was criticizing Ozawa's reading of the Beethoven Concerto and Ms Mutter's performance, as being too slow and "thoughtful" ie, stodgy/boring. I found this hilarious, or at least ironic, because this is a memorial for H v Karajan who I always hated to listen to, I thought he rushed through everything!!!!! His tempi were horrible IMHO. This pacing is LOVELY, wonderful!!!!! Worth the price of the BR just for her Beethoven solo alone.
But the "Pathetique" has to be heard folks!!!!! This will test your system to see if it can play dynamics!!!!! (I might be exaggerating a bit here, ha ha). How he rings that much power and emotion out of a rather small orchestra in a somewhat small but beautiful venue is amazing!!!!!
HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe, fopmc

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: can't spell info_outline
Alrighty then,
Last night it was "Seventh Son" with a strange performance by Jeff Bridges, an OK performance by Ben Barnes, and the usual from Julianne Moore. I don't care for her acting for the most part.
BUT there was a new girl (or witch) in here a Alicia Vikander.
This movie is SPLENDIDLY filmed, beautiful scenery and the cgi is VERY well done!
So PQ is stellar. SQ is by way of DTS-HD MA 7.1 I think it was, might have been 5.1
I did not find the sound effects particularly wonderful, like the visual effects, but I have always admitted to getting into the movie and forgetting to listen carefully.
They spent a lot of money on the actors and effects. The script was OK, sorta typical good vs bad, but then it got a twist which I am unsure of, cause it tried to portray some "good" witches. And I have always believed a good which is a dead witch. Or as the hero says, "F**K the Witches!!!!"
Overall I sorta recommend this, recommended LITE.
But why does Jeff Bridges talk like this in the movie? Did something happen to his voice or tongue?
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Wayne,

I just watched this movie on Friday. Good cast but written horribly! Jeff Bridges seemed to be attempting his usual cowboy accent with a bit of an underlying European twist. It was ridiculous and distracting for sure. There wasn't much else from the movie that was memorable for me. I looked up Honest Trailers for the movie and they haven't touched this one.

I'd recommend this one if you're bored and have seen most everything else. Since I was streaming it on demand from DirecTV, I'll refrain from any attempt to judge the picture or sound quality. The CG was good as you pointed out and there was a lot of it. I wonder if they lost money on this film...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: clip fell off my attachment info_outline
Hey T Cobe,
They did not lose money on it, but did not look to make much either, but Hollywood standards.
Thanks to read my reports and comment!!!
I appreciate a comrade in arms here!!!!
www.imdb.com/title/tt1121096/business?ref_=tt_dt_bus
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well, now we have "Endless Love".
Some not bad acting in a VERY predictable story, I mean beautiful actress, Gabriella Wilde is awesome looking!!!!!
The story is just exactly what you thought it would be, before you opened the box.
PQ is lovely, did I mention Gabriella Wilde?
SQ by way of DTS-HD MA 5.1 is suitable to the task, nothing noticeable or spectacular here.
Good all around.
RECOMMENDED date night movie!!!!
UNLESS you will get in trouble possibly drooling over Gabriella Wilde?
Not a GOOD movie, just what the doctor MIGHT be ordering for you to watch with the MRS.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?