file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Did anyone here report on "American Sniper" yet?
I did not find it if so.
I guess I will kick it off.
I think it best for me to just barely touch the subject matter in the movie, WAR is HELL, and incredibly stupid, but I am thankful for people like Chris Kyle and sooooo very many others that put their lives on the line for their country. I am well aware that there are LOTS of countries in the world, with LOTS of points of view, and LOTS of ideas of what is RIGHT.
So, I don't want to go there, but I think it is clear that no one can be around that much death and wrong, evil if I may say so, and not be deeply affected.
This movie makes that clear and is extremely well done. Kudos to Clint Eastwood for being one of the most talented guys on the planet, he even wrote a song for this movie.
And then there is Sienna Miller!!!!!
PQ was excellent, superb. I have seen Iraq and that is what it looks like, sorry to say.
SQ was by way of Dolby TrueHD 7.1. My blu-ray did not have a DTS track or I would have played it.
This is the first time I have been VERY impressed by a Dolby soundtrack. That is not a fair statement though, as I just always listen to DTS if it is there, probably missed LOTS of good Dolby tracks because of that default in my habits.
The sound is really great in this movie. Sounded very realistic to me, but how do I really know what AK 47s and M 16s sound like? And shell casings dropping all over the place?
I do know what helicopters sound like though, and these were real enough. I know a sand storm when I see it, and believe me, this was NO EXAGGERATION, OUCH they are terrible!!!!!
Anyway, sound wise, interesting story line wise, and for some a hero story wise, good acting wise
this is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!
And did I mention that Sienna Miller is in this movie?
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe, aribraun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Wayne,

Spot on as usual. I did a quick write up on page 43 of this thread some weeks back if you care to compare. Politics aside, it was a great movie. PQ and SQ were great.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Thanks Toby, I thought I remembered someone writing on this, and so I searched the site but could not find anything. NOT a great search engine here.
I agree with your comments completely. Though I did not see or notice, nor do I even know how you notice that it was ATMOS encoded. My copy did not mention it. BUT perhaps that is why it was the best Dolby I reckon I ever heard, even just in 7.1?
Who knows?
I REALLY struggle with subject matter like this, I mean, how on earth can you condone killing a child? BUT then, how on earth can you give a grenade to a child and use them as a weapon to fight your war? The fact that it is a true story makes it heart-wrenching.
And I fear we are all getting de-sensitized to slaughter with so many graphic movies. BUT such gore SHOULD make us (civilized people???) run away from armed conflict in revulsion and disgust.
Tough subjects. REALLY good film.
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Wayne,

Every service member that deploys has a different experience but all are changed for life. What the movie was able to emphasize is how difficult war can be and how important it is for those serving to serve each other. Regardless of politics, service members want to be there for each other and the movie captured that well.

Hopefully people take away an appreciation for the sacrifices made by our service members and remain committed to caring for those that are both physically and emotionally in need after they return. There seems to be an emerging attitude in DC that caring for disabled veterans is too expensive. I find this even more repulsive than war itself. Some entitlements are earned...

Sincerely,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Tonight we watched a CRAZY MOVIE!!!!!! It was based on the Thomas Pynchon book, "Inherent Vice".
Well, I am already a fan of Joaquin Phoenix, love his work. And Owen Wilson, Josh Brolin, Martin Short, Benecio del Toro, Reese Witherspoon, many more and now Katherine Waterston.
The PQ is fine, as smoke can be in a movie. This irreverent movie is FULL of smoke!!! Not much of it tobacco. It captured the hippie era pretty well, one I can remember (sorta) fondly!
The SQ is fine by way of DTS-HD MA 5.1 I can't say I noticed any reference stuff here, though I thought the spanking scene worked well.
OH, maybe that was PQ. Did I mention Katherine Waterston? I had never seen her, or noticed her before but she was good in this.
This movie is for adults, put the kids to bed first. And don't watch it if you can't take an irreverent laugh.
There are some hugely funny lines and shots in here. Honestly I could see this movie becoming a cult classic, except I think it actually takes some real close attention and listening to catch all the funny stuff. I will definitely watch this one again and see what all I missed.
This may NOT be your cup of tea, but it tickled my funny bone and I loved the "mystery movie" context.
RECOMMENDED for a LOT of LAUGHS!!!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Getting ready to watch season 2 of True Detective and the series premier of Ballers. What a night. For those of you that like twisted dramas and haven't seen season 1 of True Detective, you should check it out. It was pretty amazing! Excited for the new season and new cast.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?