file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Roman Johnston Posted 9 years 4 months ago
What an awesome movie. Not for the kids. Will give your sub-woofer a workout.

LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Yeah, Roman, I really enjoyed that one too. Think you got me wanting to watch it again.

OK, tonight we watched a Disney movie, "Alexander, the terrible no good, very bad day" It was in DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound and quite alright. The PQ was very good, sound was good, cute movie and good message. Watch it with the kids, RECOMMENDED.

Then I watched "Son of God" which I gather is taken from some TV show. The PQ was really good, the SQ was also DTS-HD MA 5.1 and good enough, but nothing miraculous, ha ha.
The movie itself was disappointing in many ways. The main actor was alright, rather effeminate looking but OK. There were errors of omission more than addition, for the most part, IMHO. I was kinda surprised that some of the more dramatic Bible scenes were actually played down, for instance: calling Lazarus forth outta his tomb makes for a wonderful story, great songs and I would have thought better movie drama than going in the tomb and kissing him on the head and making his eyes pop open. But maybe that is just me.
So many quotations were left in mid sentence, but maybe that was intentional. Israel was pictured as a VERY dry, bleak, stony, miserable place. Those were surely miserable and bleak times, but unless it has changed a lot since that time, I have been there and it is bad but much greener than pictured in this movie.
That all sounds pretty negative, but it was not bad, all things considered. IF you have seen "The Passion" it was better IMHO. But this does portray the political undertones going on between the Roman leader and the Jewish leader that assured Jesus would be killed to get him out of the way. Overall a limited RECOMMENDED, the book is better!

Lastly, when everyone else was asleep, I put on "Lionel Bringuier and Nelson Freire, Live at the Royal Albert Hall" with the BBC orchestra. The PQ is splendid, AWESOME as is the sound! The sound track is DTS-HD MA 5.1 and it brings the sound of this wonderful performance right into my home theater. The Berloiz overture is just to whet your appetite. The sound of the grand piano on the Chopin Concerto is totally rich, full and clearly LOVELY! I much prefer this type of recording, where the piano is close enough miked that we get every note, but not so in your face that it does not blend in with the orchestra. This is a whole concert we are treated to here, something like 5th row center. Here the camera work throws us off somewhat, as we may be close up watching the soloists hands playing the piano or the bassoon player's fingering (and often the camera is following a noteworthy instrument playing at that time) but we are still hearing the WHOLE orchestra playing so very well together. Individual stunning performances here for sure, Freire (a Brasilero pianist of great note) is amazing and fluid, expressive and commanding on the piano, and other superb players as well. But the wall of sound in my room is full orchestra, violins on the left, celli/basses on the right and piano square in the middle.... DELICIOUS sound!!!!!!
Then we are treated to a short Gluck piece on the solo piano--SWEET AS!!!!! After a break the Roussel Symphony #3, which I had never heard before--WHOA it is good stuff! And Ravel's "Daphne and Chloe" to round off the night (check out the amazing flute section!) wonderfully.
FULLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!

God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, fredting

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
IF you are of Japanese decent, or love their gaming and cartoons, and have kids, then you will probably want to watch the new Disney "Big Hero 6"
It is in 3D and has DTS-HD MA 7.1 sound.
It is CUTE.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
While I am waiting to get things sorted with my home theater, I watched a newer 3D movie, "Texas ChainSaw Massacre 3D".
It features Ellen Hollman as the main interest. PQ is pretty good, but the 3D was not used to great effect, probably not originally 3D, but I did not look it up to see.
It is in DTS-HD MA 7.1 but I listened in 5.1
I did not note any real great use of the surrounds.
But it is recommended, as a good, wholesome "family" movie, it is after all, all about the importance of family!
Honestly, with tongue out of cheek now, it was not as bad as I thought it might be.
And did I mention Ellen Hollman????
Enjoy,
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Wayne,

I'm glad you continue to enjoy Ellen Hollman but I think you have an XMC-1 to hook up and review... :laugh:

Glad you're back at home and enjoying your theater again!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
I finally got around to watching The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey - 2012 in DTS-HD. Great visuals, very good sound, decent movie.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?