file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Thanks, Wayne. No family movies for me today. Picked up Birdman and Nightcrawler. Since the Wife is at work, I saved Birdman for another time.

Nightcrawler was dark, gritty, and cynical. Jake Gyllenhall does a fine job portraying an interesting character: proving he's got some versatility and good acting chops. Pretty decent supporting cast as well. May have been a little heavy handed on the social commentary regarding the state of media news coverage but still a decent movie. Nothing really special in terms of picture quality or sound but solid in each. IMO, worth a couple of hours.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Gentlemen,
Last night I watched "Cold Comes the Night". PQ was fine and SQ as well, DTS-HD MA 5.1.
Nothing reference sound-wise here.
The story is interesting a bit. First of all, Hisenberg is in the movie. And there is a single mother with a daughter and this gal just cannot seem to catch a break for anything!!!!
Recommended for an evening with not much else to do, it is entertaining JUST.
Tonight it is the AWESOME Milla Jovovich in a much better movie, "Faces in the Crowd". This woman can act!!!
PQ is fine and SQ is too. This one is Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and I cannot distinguish between it and DTS (though I usually much prefer DTS to DD). Nothing interesting going on in surround sound here.
But the movie is a psychological thriller. And a little different than I have seen before.
Highly recommended on that account, heck on Milla's account.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More on "Faces in a Crowd", I really think A. Hitchcock would be proud of this movie.
Based on a condition where someone cannot recognize faces, faces change on her every time she sees them.
I REALLY recommend this!
Blessings,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Streaming the new season of House of Cards. The script and cast continue to impress, but this season is starting out slow... Hopefully it will pick up before the last couple of episodes.

Picture and sound quality are slightly better than satellite TV, but certainly not Blu-Ray quality. In the end, a mediocre afternoon in the home theater is better than a good day at work! :P

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Let me report on a couple of movies here. But first, last night we "HAD" to watch "Frozen" because today is the girlie's birthday and she had the choice.
The sound is all musical and old-timey musical at that--two people singing different lines and songs at the same time, but harmonizing.
Basically I would be happy to never hear any of these songs again, BUT the talent in making this movie was/IS awesome!!!!! The 3D picture is amazing too!!!!
A week ago, right before I had to go work for a week, I watched "GONE GIRL" and man, it stuck in my brain for a week!!!! The PQ and SQ were great, I believe it is DTS-HD MA 5.1
This is a Ben Affleck movie, he is a movie mogul in the making, he is a fine actor and director (under-rated IMHO) and Rosamund Pike knocked it outta the park for me!!!!! Scary movie!!!!
But tonight I watched an older movie, I had never heard of before, called "Dark Skies". PQ is great, and SQ is DTS-HD MA 5.1. This is a sorta paranormal/scary/alien movie that surprised me some. The surrounds were used subtly here but WELL. Clues to what is happening came from the far left and right and rear left and right. That was enjoyable. It is not as great a movie as Gone Girl is, no way, so I was not caught up so much in the movie, I could catch how well the surround was done!!!!!
Many times, OFTEN I get so engaged in the movie that I do not notice how the sound was. Can't help it, actually I guess I don't want to help it. Sometimes I go back and check out the sound again, when I suspect it was good, but I didn't notice.
All these movies are a solid recommend, Frozen is a given, Dark Skies is worth a watch, but Gone Girl is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!
Sorry, no reference or demo material here that I know of, but entertainment.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Finally had a chance to watch Whiplash last night. If I had to summarize the movie in one word, I would say intense. Both of the main characters' singular focus was music. While this was the plot and contributed to the intensity, it did make the characters a little one dimensional, but the delivery by J.K. Simmons and Miles Teller was flawless. Paul Reiser was the only other actor with more than just a couple of lines as Miles's father.

Picture and sound quality were both solid. I would give both 4 out of 5. The music was excellent and as usual, sound from the front of my system was excellent. My SuperCenter and Aons reproduced the sound of each instrument with great realism and definition. I definitely recommend this movie; however, don't watch it if your in the mood to unwind and relax. This movie is intense from start to finish!

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?