file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Just watched what I think was the last Paul Walker movie, "Brick Mansions". I always like Luc Besson movies, this less than most. PQ was good, SQ good too, but too hip-hop for me. There was tons of Jumping all around Parkour style. And car chases.
But the subject matter of never trusting the govt. was one I can appreciate.
Only recommended if you like that style of movie.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WARNING: spoiler alert, this movie SUCKS!!!!!
Great acting, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE movie!!!!!
Watched "August, Osage County" with good PQ and the SQ was DTS-HD MA 5.1 I guess it was fine, all through the movie I kept turning it down when people were shouting obscenities at each other, Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep have gotten the F bomb down quite well, thank you very much!!!!! But at the last credits there was a wonderful song by the Kings of Leon "Last Mile Home" and it sounded marvelous.
What a dysfunctional family!!!!! And I thought, heck I KNOW mine is BAD!!!!! And I got to go there just a little southwest of there in OK, in a month!!!!
I HATED, HATED, HATED this movie!!!! I did watch it, the acting is great, the story (well written) just kept getting worse and worse, I kept looking for some redeeming factor, but NO, NONE.
Been there, done that.
ARRRRGGGHHHHH
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well I FINALLY got "War of the Worlds" on Blu-ray.
I have seen it before, but there are so many reports of the totally deep bass as the aliens emerge from the pavement, that I wanted to go back and check it out for myself.
BUT........ a couple of weeks ago, I turned on my power conditioner that feeds my amps and got a hum, a low, not very loud, bass hum, sounded like it was coming from my 4 summed built in subs from my Triton 2s and 3s. I turned it back off and waited 5 mins and powered back up, everything was fine.
After a few days it happened again, and fixed itself again. I put it down to my Marantz AV7005, because it has been acting up, and it knows I have a Emo XMC-1 waiting for me in TX.
Happened again, day before and then again yesterday, but yesterday, when I am ready to check out the deep bass on WotWs, it would not fix itself, all day long. Power up, hum, turn it off. Wait a bit, power up, hum, repeat!!! So I finally decided to unplug my LFE inputs to all my Triton towers and see if that stops the problem. I got behind my right T 2 and the input was just barely touching!!! When I pushed it in and made good contact, the problem was GONE.
But my T 3s lights were not on behind them for the subs. On sending a signal to them, the right one came on, but left would not. Wiggled the power cable several times and finally got it to make contact and light up.
MERCY.
By this time my wife was asleep in the room. So today, mid afternoon, I got to hear my bass on War of the Worlds and it was pretty awesome!!! Must admit that I have heard other movies with as much bass now, but that may have been a first rockin bass movie.
Some times you gotta check your connections, if you are like me, about every other day! DRAT.
Gotta go, Bro Kravitz is singing "Let Love Rule" in my listening room right now, WOW!!!!!
Happy listening, God Bless,
Wayne

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Anthem,

Did you watch this on blu-ray or streaming (John Wick)? I was pleasantly surprised to find this title was released in Atmos and worked on my system. Felt the sound and picture were great! I would say near reference quality but certainly a good demo. Atmos intro was reminiscent of the old THX intros I used to enjoy. Just curious on your take on the mix. Thanks.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I saw John Wick on Blu-ray...picked it up at a "Red Box" machine. It was in DTS 5.1, no listing for Atmos. Have you seen the Equalizer? John Wick & The Equilizer are very similar...you hurt my friends or my family and I'll hurt (in this case, kill) you.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I own and enjoyed both. Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity did a write up that articulated very well what I also experienced. As far as the movie itself, I prefer Denzel Washington to Keanu Reeves. Man On Fire was good as well, though a little darker.

If you get a chance to check it out in Atmos, you may want to give it a try. I swear I was in the mustang at the airstrip. That scene played into my love of classic muscle cars as well. I love the sound of a tuned V8 at full throttle!!!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?