file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
OK guys,
I am weighing in prematurely, as I just got a whole pile of Blu-rays finally came in, and I am watching them in a drawn out, savor them as long as you can type process, as who knows when I will get some more. But when they first came in, I opened and played each one just long enough to confirm that they work, and that they have both English and Thai soundtracks (one was Eng. only and one was Thai only, not what was advertised), that the Engl. subtitles work so I can follow when my wife and daughter are watching with me in Thai.
I got John Wick, so I too noticed that it is in Dolby Atmos!!!! And DTS_HD MA 7.1. I have no way of playing it in atmos, but I did confirm that it is 7.1 because Bro Anthem wrote that it was 5.1.
So,
#1, this is the first Atmos encoded blu-ray to hit in Thailand that I know of.
#2, Bro Anthem lives in Kansas and therefore it is understandable that he will be getting it the last in the whole world!!!! Come on Bro, sorry, I couldn't help it, even rural Thailand, out in the sticks we are ahead of you on technology. Well, er, at least this once and on 1 thing. ha ha
I can't wait to watch it now.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So we watched "Blended" the other night, with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. I did not expect to like it much, but was in fact a bit surprised at how cute/sweet a movie it was.
PQ was fine, SQ was DTS-HD MA 5.1 and sounded fine. No special use of surround that I noticed.
It is a yours and mine movie, no ours, at least not yet. About how single parents have a tough time dating and finding love again when they have a LOT of baggage, I mean kids. And how hard that would be to get two families "Blended" together.
There is some funny and sorta cool South Africa stuff in here, overall recommended family entertainment.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Wayne,

I chose Atmos in the set-up and it decoded fine for me. Obviously I was missing several channels but the audio and picture were great! Hope you find it equally impressive, at least technically.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"John Wick" was a pretty wild ride, and recommended.
I was not asked to choose the Dolby Atmos, my blu ray defaulted to that and showed Atmos most of the time, but sometimes, 7.1.
The use of the surround channels was there nice rain scene which I guess was meant to sound extra cool in atmos.
Good sound and the music sounded REALLY good!!!!
I think the bad guy kid, the one that is such a squirrel in Game of Thrones too, is SOOOOO BAD it is easy to root for him to get his!!!!
Keanu Reeves is OK, does the action pretty well, maybe really well, but his facial expressions seem a bit wooden to me. Seems a nice guy. Can act better'n me. But I too prefer Denzel.
Good action movie.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 6 months ago
OK, I finally got to watch Pierce Brosnan in "November Man". I am behind Bro Anthem.
He did report on the story and about Olga Kurylenko being in the movie. It was a fine movie, really quite good. I figured out the mildly surprising part about Olga, but not the real surprise, which I will not spoil. Gotta protect family.
I used to think that OLGA was a really ugly name for a really big and ugly Russian girl. MAN was I wrong!!!!
PQ and SQ are definitely worth it, highly recommended!!!!
Recently also have watched on Bu-ray and all had decent PQ and SQ on DTS-HD MA 5.1
"Dracula Untold" an interesting remake of the old tale, kind of a decent version with some surprising family love. Recommended.
"Transit" family values here too, big time. This is a lot of violence and you sorta feel good about it because the bad guys are so bad and the family has to be protected! Recommended.
"The Drop" does not give us family values to speak of. It is violent but not too bad. Dog values I guess. Recommended.
None of the above (with the exception of November Man) use the soundtrack as well as I would like to hear it. No reference quality or demo worthy flicks here, but some solid entertainment.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Family movies anyone????
Here is some fun for the whole fam damily!!!!
Based on a truly wonderful REAL LIFE story, "Dolphin Tale 1" and "Dolphin Tale 2" are both wonderful movies!!!! Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, Harry Connick Jr. and dolphins and kids. I LOVE IT that there are people in this world who work so very hard to help and heal endangered animals like beached Dolphins!!!! And in this case we have a Dolphin which is damaged, which inspires LOTS of people who have to endure wearing prosthetic devices to manage. Heartwarming and HIGHLY recommended!!!!
One or both are also available in 3D, we did not watch it that way, but PQ is great, and SQ in DTS-HD MA 5.1 was fine too.
Nothing reference at all, but good enough.
"Mom's Night Out" is a funny movie, farcical mess ups all around, and PQ / SQ are the same as above. The point of this movie is that it does have a meaningful message. Recommended!
These movies are great for a night with the kids.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?