file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 6 months ago
We are heading out to America pretty soon, gonna miss my home theater surrounded by GEt speakers for nearly 6 weeks. Doggone, that is gonna hurt!!!!
Watched two movies last night, here is a short review.

"The Remaining" is an interesting take on the Biblical end of time plans. Although this is not anything MOST Christians agree on, in Biblical interpretation, a LOT of folks believe when the end comes, when Jesus comes back, He will take His people out of the world all at once, and leave the rest of mankind to see what it is like to fend for themselves when all Hell breaks loose. The end shows the truth to the words "For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it." and it is impressive how hard a decision that becomes. I liked this part better than the first part of the movie.
PQ was fine and the SQ was DTS-HD MA 5.1, and interesting. The sound in the surround channels play some weird startling sounds and did add to the movie experience. But nothing reference here. Recommended.

Then I watched "The Prince". It was rather formulaic where the REALLY bad ass guy loves his daughter and will kill and kill to take care of her. But she is a mess. PQ is fine, SQ was DTS-HD MA 5.1 and worked well. The shooting sounds with the casings being ejected and bouncing around was really well done, ha ha. Recommended, if you don't mind violence.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Have a safe trip, Wayne. I hope you enjoy the time with your family. Make sure you pack light so you have room for that XMC-1 on the return trip!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Thanks Bro T Cobe!
I will pack light, gonna come back with LOTS more than I am taking (though my bag gets to be filled with some gifts for family, so they can stay there). I not only have to bring back the XMC-1, but lots of Faro Mild Jalapeno half peppers and Mrs. Renfro's Roasted Salsa.
Thanks Guys for any and all prayers for safe travels! And for patience with my family, I am not used to being around them so much and grandchildren (not used to noise). Thanks!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Yeah, I imagine the tex-mex and BBQ in Thailand aren't quite the same as Texas. Enjoy!
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Picked up Interstellar yesterday. I enjoyed the movie a great deal. It was an interesting story. The writing, direction, production, cinematography and acting were all excellent. There were a few plot holes but most complicated stories/movies have them. Matthew McConaughey continues to impress me with his character portrayal and he adds a lot of emotion to the story.

The audio and video were excellent as well. It was immersive enough to completely draw me in but not draw attention to itself. I would give both 4.5 out of 5 stars. While I wouldn't necessarily make this a go to reference disk, it could certainly fill the bill. I'm guessing I could watch this one a few times and pick up something new each time. Definitely worth owning or at least renting. Just make sure you have a few hours to spare and don't expect to multi-task during this one!

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, captainbrent

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Sat down and watched Unbroken on Blu-Ray yesterday. This is the amazing tale of survival and human endurance. It tells the story of Louis Zamperini who was lost at sea, captured by the Japanese, and survived harsh treatment and deplorable living conditions. Even more incredible was the longevity of his life and his ability to overcome these tragedies while going on to return to Japan and forgive those that tormented and tortured him in captivity.

The movie itself was done well. Few of the cast members were recognizable but the performances were solid. The screenplay and direction were good as well though I would have liked it if they had spent a little more time on Louie's life after the war. Picture quality was excellent and there were no film effects to give the illusion of stepping back in time like those applied in Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. Dolby Atmos mixes continue to impress me and the opening scene of the movie would be an excellent demo piece. In all, picture and sound quality were 4 out of 5.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?