file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 9 months ago
OK, I grew up in Oklahoma, yes, Tornado Alley!!!! I know about tornadoes and I have seen the movie Twister, which has a coupla of my favorite actors in it, Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton. 1996, it is not that old a movie and it was actually filmed in Oklahoma. Good flick.
Now along comes "Into the Storm" trying to do you one better. And at least as far as CGI and crazy movie making, they did do better!!!
This is two nights in a row that I am just super impressed with the pics and mostly with the sound of movies these days--in comparison to just a few years ago. You have got to see the scene when the tornado moves through the airport runway.
Speaking of Picture Quality, this movie is spotty, as a LOT of it is trying to present like we are seeing it through someone's video camera. And it stays with that trick for a long time, until they can't and I guess you are supposed to have forgotten about that. I don't care for that video grain.
But the sound is DTS-HD MA 5.1. Yeah, I wish the back two channels were used. But the surround here is not really subtle. There is no real need for additional speakers, we are in the middle of a HUGE tornado here and it is all around us and tearing everything to heck!!!!
The sound is fine, it brings it on!!!!
I guess this is just one step down from reference quality, which is called what? Pretty dang good!!!!
I liked the actors and story better in Twister, but the storms here kick some serious butt.
Did I say movie sound is getting better? It may just be my awesome GEt system!!!!
Enjoy it,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Alright, tonight we (I say we, but really the wife and daughter could not stay awake for nor complete this dreadful movie) watched "The Captive".
Beautiful snowy scenery. Horrible and nonsensical story. They keep jumping around in time on the story line, takes around an hour to figure that out, and that is the only excitement in the first hour. Talking about SLOW here on a heartwrenching story (for a parent).
PQ is great. SQ is DTS-HD MA 5.1 and fine. No surround sound that I noticed, could have been but the story is all in front of you.
What there is a well-recorded soundtrack and music and when the music swells (to get us to think there is something to this movie???) it is a wall of sound in front that sounds awesome on my system!!!! I mean AWESOME!!!!
Other than that, still there is nothing to recommend this disc.
I am happy there are re-runs of NFL games on, watching that and happy again.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Wayne...are you renting or buying these movies? I hope you're just renting. It appears as though GOOD movies are hard to come by. When your wife and daughter have bouts of insomnia, do you play them one of your movies? :lol:
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Buddy,
We buy them, not too expensive here in Thailand. Well, depends on the disc, but most are not too expensive. Course blu-rays are a LOT more expensive than the run of the mill DVDs.
Ha ha about my wife and daughter having insomnia!!!!! If you knew how they can go to sleep at the drop of a hat you would know how VERY funny that comment is!!!!
In fact, I really forced the issue with my home theater furniture, so they cannot lay down to watch a movie. They can lay back with the recliner, but not actually stretch out and lay down. Otherwise I would be watching each and EVERY movie alone!!!! They did not know a person can actually sit up and watch TV or a movie (unless at the theater).
And if I am playing a movie in English, asking them to read subtitles (as they expect me to do ALL THE TIME) then forget it. They will not make it. Reading????? What is that?????
The great thing is, they watch with me, so I am happy!!!! Family time is awesome!!!!!
AND I have been running into a lot of movies with a really good, strong Thai soundtrack. Last night it was DTS-HD MA 5.1 THAI. Awesome. Most movies, I watch with the fam and then the next day play it again in English so I can review what the Engl. soundtrack sounds like for you boys and girls.
God Bless,
Wayne

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well we watched one that was supposed to be pretty darn good, "Guardians of the Galaxy", part one I might add, as there will be more.
The PQ was pretty good although we watched it in 3D and it was a processed later (fake) 3D. Still there were things flying out of the screen at us a LOT. But there was not much actual depth of image.
SQ was alright, the soundtrack was DTS-HD MA 7.1 (my favorite). And it sounded good. Made the sub shake the room some times. There was stuff in all speakers. And when they played some good old rock and roll, it sounded great!
It was not the best use of surround sound that I ever heard, so not reference. Funny though, this is just the kind of movie that I would have thought would be big time sound. And it was alright, fine, good, OK.
As for the movie itself: MARVEL did it again. Made a LOT of money (I assume) on a pretty lame movie. I did appreciate that they employed some good actors. There is Zoe Saldana in the movie. That is the good news, the bad news is that she is green. I hope that is not a spoiler for anybody. It is as good a look as being blue, if you ask me.
And the Galaxy does need Guarding, I reckon. Just not sure this is the right team to do the job, even after watching this flick.
YMMV, you might like this movie. I guess it is OK for kids, well there is a LOT of violence, so nah, maybe not.
Enjoy your movies and music, God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Green & breathing...works for me. :)

Hey Bro...so nice to see yet another movie review...it would be a real drag without you.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?