file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Sorry folks, I am a little behind here.
last night we watched "2:22". an Australian movie, but don't hold that against em, they are good at shrimp on the barby.
Confusing, flashing all around, NEVER really did make much sense, just finally sorta fell into place but with missing pieces.
The lead actor and actress were alright, the premise was kinda ok at first. BUT, as above.
PQ was fine. SQ was by way of DTS 5.1 and although there was nothing demo worthy, the music they played was incredible sounding, reminding me just how awesome a good song can sound--brilliant.
I will not recommend against it, but certainly not for it. Rotten Tomatoes had it at 1 star, and that seems about right, though some called it 3 star.

Then, tonight we watched "KillSwitch". A future where energy is in such demand they figure out how to make an alternate world copy of ours (they left out HOW they did that) and then drew that matter over to our world to convert into all the energy we would ever need. Course everything that could go wrong with that, did go wrong. So our hero (who you do not see for most of the movie because the camera is inside his spacesuit, tried to make things look like a computer game) has to initiate a kill switch.
PQ was horrible, seemed they did not have enough money for all the special effects, so blurred it. SQ was horrible, even the end of the world was not very loud.
NOT RECOMMENDED, I threw away the disc and the papers and kept the blu box, the only thing of value which my wife and daughter agreed.
These are two you may want to leave at the store.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Watched/listened to "Dunkirk" this afternoon.

Originally thought I'd comment on the Atmos thread re effects of adding heights. Well, Dunkirk rocks no matter how played. Yes the heights get added via DTS:X Neural, but this film would rock in any format!!!!!

Wayne, you're right, this is demo quality stuff.

Holy Mackerel!! Wow!!! Saw this in the theater before. Well, the GEt's blow away what I heard in the theater. Such realism! I was there, on the ships or boats or shore, hearing, even feeling the German planes coming at me, FEELING the explosions, jumping when the bullets came through the boat hull. I didn't need an IMAX seat to vibrate, those GEt's rocked my world, my seat, my breastbone, shook things up all by themselves. Once again, I asked "How do speakers DO that???"

Wayne’s recommendation of this as a demo is seconded, enthusiastically!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I KNOW RIGHT?????
Bro Rick, I knew that would be our reaction. I can just imagine hearing DUNKIRK in your awesome home theater.
Several, really lots of scenes like the very first getting fired upon scene come to mind. But when they are hiding in the boat and the Germans start using it for target practice, the shots coming through the hull, nearly pooped myself!!!!!

Highly Recommended.!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have finished watching all the first 5 seasons of LONGMIRE, a truly terrific show/series!!!!!
So tonight was movie night and we watched the Gubernator in "Aftermath". Supposedly based on a true story, this was a bit of a rough watch, the girls barely stayed awake but did.
Arnold did some decent acting as did the other main character. It was slow though, stretched out the movie some, rather pointlessly.
PQ was nothing special, SQ was by way of DTS 5.1 and could have been better. They did use all five channels, some rather powerful or loud music for dramatic effect, which was alright.
Nothing demo worthy for sure.
I saw this was rated 3 outta 5 and felt that might be about right or a little bit generous unless you are a Arnold fan.
This was no "True Lies" I can tell you.
Will pass or recommending or not, it was just OK.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tonight I watched, or tried to watch the most horrible movie, "The Void".
A horror show, monster show, B movie P.O.S.
I saw some gave it up to 3 1/2 stars, B.S.
PQ was OK, SQ was 5.1 nothing special, just normal.
Dark where the special monster effects were, so you couldn't see how awful they were.
Bad story, terrible acting.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
I would be shocked if any person's mileage would vary, but who knows?
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Put this one in the books too, we made it through a Chinese movie, it was dubbed into Thai so it was only myself reading subtitles.
"Sky on Fire" is the name, and it was fairly well done, considering.
PQ was very good, SQ by way of DTS 5.1 was interesting. I got to experience that other countries are using the surround tracks some, there were a couple of places where bullets rang out VERY convincingly. Course said bullets never actually hit anybody, not sure why that was? It was not a bloody movie at all. NOT like the gore fest "The Void" last night.
AND the subtitles were quite readable, good English.
Since they were curing cancer of a childhood sweetheart, there was some interest, though I thought the acting sucked pretty badly.
NOT RECOMMENDED, but just thought I might report on Chinese movies, coming along sound wise.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?