file Currently playing

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 7 months ago
I have the T2s playing with a much more expensive amp now, I wrote about it on the other thread, but what I write there does not appear too quickly.
I am playing all my demo/test music again on these wonderful speakers, but now on the Vincent SV-800. Much more detail and air. And now the Three Blind Mice are pretty listenable but the horrible notes really shine now, they are clear as a bell and almost painful.
The Tritons cannot be faulted, the top of the piano scale is just recorded so close and clearly here that it feels like my head is right up next to the piano when the high notes are being played. Half an OUCH now.
BUT I feel like this amp is giving me exactly what is on the disc, and this is a tube hybrid amp too. No extra warmth dampening here.

Another disc I put on, for acoustic guitar, piano and male voice is Willie Nelson's "Spirit".
The first cut, Matador, is a guitar splendor, reprised in the last track. But the last but the coda track, Spirit of E9 is all acoustic, just luscious music.
And Willie's voice is spot on. I put this on just to test track it and played the whole dern album. It is not REALLY my kind of music, not far off mind you. Better than his Stardust that many people use for a demo disc. Better music that is. Give this one a try.

Hope this helps somebody,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, SanthoshEapen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 7 months ago
Late wedensday afternoon and finishing up a set from George Howard/Love and Understanding (1991) Great CD if you can handle soprano sax. This is a digital master from 1991 and can on occasion sound bright. I listened using the Anthem/Aon 3 setup...sounded good although not stellar.

Wayne I see you're having fun auditioning a new toy (Vincent SV-800) I read a review from Test Seek, reviewers name was Mikkel Fiddle (01/03/12). I don't know if you've seen this but here's what caught my attention. Bass - the overall sound is a little "thin leg."
For some instruments, it becomes a bit too stressed. (Might I ask, which ones...sax?)

His conclusion: Vincent SV-800 is in many ways a very good and very competent amp. It has plenty of muscle and it is also gentle as a lamb. But Vincent has made a choice with the SV-800, and has NOT gone for a neutral expression. They have chosen a particular sound, which makes perfect sense in signed ears. Cost here is $3750.00. What's it run there? Sounds like it might murder my saxophones...probably not a good choice for me. Let us know what you decide.

Extreme detail or neutrality?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Bro Anthem, thanks for that.
I read that review and am not sure my Google translation was all that good. I got tubes translated as pipes. But anyway, I doubt that he was playing the amp with Tritons, at least with the bass set at 12 like I have. There was nothing missing about the bass. Perhaps he was not playing it is Class A either.
I pulled that amp back out of the system and put back the SP-T100s. I think the SV-800 sounded a little too much like solid state, a really good solid state amp. I could certainly live with it, happily, but it being an integrated amp, I just can't work out how to use it in my home theater very easily.
I decided that I need to give the 100s a little more break in time (as the SoundStage) review said. And if the top end does not open up a bit more, I want to try their bigger brother, the mono block SP-T800s. They are probably the cat' meow. But they are sooooo big, and also expensive.
My GE distributor is helping me get a good price on whatever I need, he is really wonderful to me.
I see on the other thread that the Moderator Dude just confirmed how difficult it would be to work an integrated in to HT, so I will work on this angle instead.
Will report back, all the best,
I have having fun, hope you all are too,
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Wayne, just wondering...are you dead set on Vincent. Just out of curiosity what other brands does your distributor deal with?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Anthem,
I don't really know the answer to that question, either of them actually.
But he has gotten these Vincents in to evaluate and I might be able to get a good demo price on something.
I have spent so much money already and have so much gear now, that if it is not a great deal, then I will not be able to make the upgrade.
And I like tubes, and this hybrid approach of Vincent makes a lot of sense.
Blessings,
Wayne

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by anthem. info_outline
Kickin' back this cold Thursday afternoon listening to Gerald Albright/ Giving myself to you (1995 Atlantic). In my opinion this is his finest effort, all instrumentals no cheesie vocals. Also listening to Joyce Cooling/Third Wish. Fantastic music from a fine guitarist.

Wayne: so it's between the Vincent SP-T100 and the SP-T800? Both got great reviews but need ALOT of break in time. My thoughts, save some cash and buy the SP-T100, it has a lot of bang for the buck. With the (doe) you save , take the wife and daughter out for a nice meal.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back