file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Currently listening to a hot new set from Brian Simpson / Just What You Need (2013). Up tempo piano and sax...excellent combination. I've listened to it twice, the first time through the Oppo 105 and the second time playing through the Cambridge Audio 840C. I preferred the 840C which to my ears had more detail.

Thanks Wayne for your helpful advice on tube rolling, those were some great web sites...although alot of information to wrap my head around. It's just going to take time and money.

My Preamp is the PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamplifier. It uses 2 x 5AR4 and 4 x 12AU7.
As always, saxophones need a 5-10 percent taming .
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Oh yeah, Bro, that is some pre-amp!!!!
I doubt that you can lose with Thelma Lou.
And I don't know 5AR4s. And I don't know what is in TL now. BUT I saw that there are Mullard tubes available for her and that should normally be a VERY good thing.
As for 12AU7s, they are not as easily improved over as 12AX7s, IMHO. And you may find some pretty good tube deals here. I got a matched pair of RCA 12AU7A - clear tops, organ stock for only $62.
Now I am not saying that I can hear the difference, since I have not even gotten the chance to put em in yet, because I don't have the speakers to hear them on (3 days). But YOU, my friend, have the golden ears among us. I imagine you can hear the diff.
And you got the money, hunny, go for it!!!!!!
Keep in touch,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Wayne, greetings from the lower 48. Got too thinking about your question of what particular brand of tube TL uses. I checked this morning and here is what I found. Each tube says PrimaLuna and the number 12AU7 or 5AR4. In the owners manual it says common replacements for the 12AU7 are ECC82, ECC802S, E82CC, 5814, 6189 and CV4003.
The 5AR4: GZ34, CV1377 are equivalent. 5V4G, 5T4, and 5y3 will also function fine with small sonic changes.

Most sonic change comes from the 12AU7 of different companies, a Mullard verses a Sovtek , verses a Amperex and so forth...right?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Hey Anthem,
Greetings from the other side of the world.
Getting warmer over here, and really lovely. The corn is up nicely.
Most manufacturers get tubes made for them and put their own name on the tube. They are probably made in China or Russia.
Which can be great. The argument for leaving them alone is, that the circuit has been designed, even voiced perhaps, with the specific tubes supplied. So, in theory, those tubes in that pre should sound the best.
The other side of the argument is that much better tubes were made in the past, a LOT better than today, in some cases. And those tubes would make the price too high for production models. But IF you can afford it, you can get New Old Stock tubes to replace the ones in your pre that will sound better.
Not sure which argument is right, but I think the second is true of most models made to a specific price point, IOW, where price is a factor.
I do not know the 5AR4 tube at all, not sure how much they might be improved. The 12AU7 can be changed out with some great tubes without breaking the bank. But I will admit that I don't know how much difference they might or might not make. Is there a user forum for Thelma Lou's where people might discuss what they have tried.
Anyway, hoping you can tame those saxes.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The past couple of days & nights I've been listening to Rhythm of the Night / various artists (1998). This CD is a pure joy to listen to. I'm transported to a warm summer evening with the sun about to set...such a tranquil feeling.

The street lamps light up in the Big City, transforming common scenes into magical visions. The mood swings way up, as people are liberated from their working day blues. Feel the pulsating undercurrents, the constant polyrhythmic beat, and the electric atmosphere that make the city at night irresistible.

Track 8: Rush Hour--literally gives me chills/goosebumps every time I listen.
Two thumbs up/way up.

Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Supposedly to be a wickedly windy day, gonna batten down the hatches and listen to a wickedly wonderful saxophonist.
Candy Dulfer/Sax-a-Go-Go (1993)...Sweet...

Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back