file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by anthem. info_outline
Hey Wayne, won't you clue us in on what Golden ear's most interesting member has been listening to the past couple of days?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Hi Anthem,
That is quite a compliment coming from you!!! Thanks
I have been playing lots of CDs that I use for evaluation of a system. Several have been mentioned in the other post. Lydia Gray and Eva Cassidy, Laura Fygi, the Fairfield Four, etc. These are great for serious listening for imaging and voice, etc. But not my kind of music, even had some Jazz at the Pawnshop on, but could not hack that as I cannot hack the Three Blind Mice, vol. 1. But Willie Nelson plays some great acoustic guitar and I know his voice well, Dire Straits too, I have heard Mark Knopfler in person, so I know what to listen for there. Beth Hart with Joe Bonamassa.
I have played tons of classical music, several of the TACET surround sound recordings, some Beethoven and Mozart SACDs. The Living Stereo recordings are awesome. Jimmy Paige and the Black Crows.
Several Blu-ray concerts and movies. My favorite Leonard Cohen-Songs from the Road, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Santana Supernatural and the Hobbit, Prince Caspian, Fifth Element and more.
Got a SACD recently called Credo which has really impressed me, Deutsch Grammaphone label.
Hope this helps, God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, SanthoshEapen

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
This afternoon I've been listening to Jeff Golub/Train Keeps a Rolling...this is a really great CD, I think it's his best.

Wayne I listened to Lydia Gray she's great. Jazz at the Pawnshop is not my cup of tea. The Three Blind Mice Vol. 1 you mention, is that Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers/ 3 Blind Mice Vol. 1...if so, I like it. Listened to Credo, sounds good to me. I want to give Laura Fygi and Fairfield Four a listen. When you get back home post what your listening to, it's very informative.

One week of work?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Dear Bro Anthem,
Since you have been so kind to give us soooo many recommendations, I guess I better do my job and try to keep up, a LITTLE anyway.

First off, NO, I was not referring to Bro Blakey, but rather, the Japanese jazz knockoff that someone got me to buy because it is supposedly a good disc to check out your system with. I should have said it is the Famous Sound of the TBM vol 1. I always play track two, which is truly dreadful. As I mentioned, the piano high notes can make you sell your silver ICs and speaker cables and buy a new pre-amp/amp.
The Tritons (2 & 3) both handle it with aplomb. With tube amps.
NOW my question comes: Is this disc recorded so poorly with digital glare? And if so, SHOULD I be able to play it with aplomb?
Should I be worried that my system is (now) not killing my ears playing this disc? Or should I be happy that the Tritons and Tubes make it listenable (I did not say musical, I will leave that to Anthem to call that one)?
When I get back home and have some listening time, I will change out the tubes and see with SS what the Tritons do with this disc.
I "suspect" that I am not getting the last word on resolution on my Tritions because of the tubes. BUT maybe I don't care, because all the music I played just sounds Sooooo darn NATURAL and MUSICAL!!!!!

The Mavericks concert DVD "Live from Austin Texas" has Raul Malo and the boys play some awesome songs at Stubbs BBQ. Anthem, check out "Dance the Night Away". Then Raul does and acoustic "Besame Mucho" that is to die for!!!!!
Now I am doing you right my friend!!!!

TACET DVD-A, SACDs and surround sound:
Schubert Octet in F Major
Beethoven Symphonies #5 and 6
Tube only Night Music
Vivaldi Four Seasons
I hope that is enough recommendations for now, but I would love any feedback from you experts!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, SanthoshEapen

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Wayne: checked out Famous Sound of Three Blind Mice on Amazon. New, they want $499.00 plus $3.99 shipping. Used, prices range from $128.98-$240.01 plus $3.99 shipping. Explain these prices, I guess I'll never hear this CD, maybe you can loan me your copy. The Tube Only Night Music (W.A. Mozart) is $19.11, that's a manageable price. The point is, do you believe that ALL recordings from Tacet are stellar?

I listened to The Mavericks-Live in Austin Texas. Sorry bud, that music makes me cringe. My wife thinks that maybe you and I can't get along musically. I say, HOGWASH, I know there's music you and I can agree on (just not much)ha-ha!

Is this disc recorded so poorly with digital glare and should I be able to play it with aplomb? That's the question I too have had for many, many years. Should I care? I always want to blame the equipment, but as the years fly by, I believe it's just poorly recorded crap manufactured by companies that really don't give a rats rear end what they push out their doors. That felt good....

I'll look into more of your suggestions today. If you have more, please post.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ahhhh, therein my friend lies the rub!!!!!
I suspect your wife may be more right than wrong. But I guess we can sing in glory together just fine, that will likely be music we can both agree on alright. Course we both got to make it there.

I like all the TACET discs I have heard, the surround sound ones are the most fun, playing all around the listener.

But IF you will come over and visit, I will be sure and give you that poxy TBM CD, which I reckon is sooooo over-priced it will make a great present even if you can't stand the music any better than I can. But you MIGHT like it.
Anyway, I do like your rant and am sure I agree with it. I am sure there are LOTS of CDs made with no real artisan-ship involved.

SO, what is the answer?
IF a disc is so poorly recorded as to have digital glare, should our systems play it back in such a revealing way that we can't stand the disc? Or is it better to have a system that makes discs at least listenable?

Help me out here.
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back