• Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 months ago

Just about sleepy time...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Roman Johnston wrote:

rjohn79395 wrote: My Dragonfly Red is supposed to arrive late tomorrow, when we're back in NH. I'll test it out on the Sony with Snake oil Surfer. I already have Liebert's Albatross in my favorites list. Good stuff.

Rick

Got mine Friday (DragonFly Red) and out of the box I can hear a difference, even from my old DragonFly 1.2) The cheap adaptor I got for my phone is shoddy at best though. I will have to hold out for the legit DragonTail. Interested in what I can get from my phone amplification wise. It drives my HiFiMan headphones quite well though. Louder than my old DragonFly, and equal to my new expensive ASUS sound card that has a headphone amp on board. If there is a "break in" time on this unit things can only get better.

Roman

We got back from NY a couple hours ago, and shortly thereafter, the Dragonfly Red arrived. The Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter for the iphone 6 will get here tomorrow. So, I'm playing it now with the laptop and Sony earphones. So easy to set up!

First impressions: wow, oh wow. The Sony earphones had a kind of fuzzy/muddy bass before, and while the mid range and treble was clean, stereo separation was less than ideal. Well, I'm sitting here listening to the new Dragonfly, and barely broken in Sony headphones, and I'm loving it. Bass is now clean, deep, the surround effect is SO much better, and the placement of sounds is also so much better.

I'm close to tears. I have my summer GEt replacement therapy! NOTHING, NOTHING!! can replace the sound I can hear with T1's/T2's/SCXXL in multi channel stereo, or better yet, 5.1 surround (I agree with you, Wayne, nothing beats GEt's in surround), but I am so happy that I now have an option for listening to good music.

My Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter should arrive tomorrow to play music from the iphone. I'll report on how that sounds later. So far, everything is MP3 stuff. Can't wait to try FLAC.

Thanks again, Roman! The Dragonfly Red is amazing. Can't compare the SQ to HiFiman headphones or other DAC's/amps., or any other combo's I haven't heard, but I'm a happy camper. Great SQ!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe, Roman Johnston

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I finally picked up a copy of Purple Rain. It was only a matter of time before Prince's music started showing up everywhere. This is a great album and it takes me back to my childhood. Read into that what you may.

While I still love the album, I have to say that the SQ is certainly lacking. The bass is weak and the soundstage is very small. I'm having to turn the volume up about 5 dB higher than normal just for reasonable listening volume. It makes me wonder about the work that goes into re-releasing an older album. This certainly sounds like a copy of a copy of a copy...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
eiffel62 Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Listening to reissue of Santana's Abraxas from Mofi. Sounded real good with GETs and my recent acquisition of Emotiva's special factory renewed XMC-1 sale.

Refurbished and no blemish that I saw with my own aging eyes. Full 5 year warranty, for just under $1700. This was a no brainer for me as I was torn between this and the Anthem AVM-60, but Emotiva announced future update to handle Atmos & DTS-X to 7.2.4 channels. Listening room is also the living room and not likely to use height ceilings there but I do hope to change that situation down the road with a true HT room.

Next acquisition, and it may come sooner rather than later, is to retire my current HPM TF-600 speakers with pair of GET 2+.
Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe, Roman Johnston

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Eiffel62,

Great acquisition with the XMC! I've been following the updates on Atmos and the upcoming HDMI updates. That may have made a more compelling argument for me if that info was available when I was shopping. A pair of Triton 2+ Towers would be another great addition to your growing system. How are you liking the XPA-3 gen 3?

Cheers,

T Cobe

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
eiffel62 Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by eiffel62. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: How are you liking the XPA-3 gen 3?

I love it! It definitely is a step up from the Crown XLS 1502, the only other amp I have owned. Also, the Denon 3805 is now fully retired from the main room. It was moved to the unfinished basement to power the retired HPM TF-600 that were the rears to now provide hot tub music and to power the patio speakers on the deck.

The XMC-1 arrived just a couple of days ago, and I eagerly await exploring Dirac. Also have some accessories coming in such as an upgraded mic (UMIK-1) and some XLRs to replace RCAs as the Denon was all RCA. I am holding off going full blown with higher end cabling for now until I have every thing else upgraded, i.e speakers, pre, amps, room treatments. If the itch still persists, then I will audition those upgrades.
Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back